Snack Tips for work

Options
Hey guys,

I'm returning to work after a 7 year career break. My life for the past 7 years has been spent running after 2 smallies so I've never really snacked. Now that I'm returning to "desk life" I'm worried I'll start snacking so want to be prepared. Would appreciate any tips that have worked for other "pals". Also, if anyone has any desk exercises that work I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks all,
Catherine.

Replies

• DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    If you can sip on something (water, water with lemon or lime, unsweetened iced tea) that will help you reduce the urge to snack. Gum might help as well.

If you need to snack because you're actually hungry, almonds are a good snack. If you'll have access to a fridge at work, a bagfull of baby carrots or a tupperware of celery sticks in water make a good snack you can eat mindlessly!
  • Jugie12
    Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

I'm returning to work after a 7 year career break. My life for the past 7 years has been spent running after 2 smallies so I've never really snacked. Now that I'm returning to "desk life" I'm worried I'll start snacking so want to be prepared. Would appreciate any tips that have worked for other "pals". Also, if anyone has any desk exercises that work I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks all,
    Catherine.

Welcome back to the workforce! I like to pack some sliced bell peppers and hummus - protein and some carbs but without a bunch of sugar and junk. I LOVE Labrada Lean Body protein shakes also. The ones that come pre-made can just go in the fridge and it's an absolutely perfect snack between breakfast and lunch/ lunch and dinner: complete protein, no sugar, low carb, tons of vitamins and minerals, only about 260 cals and they really do taste fantastic. Oh, and they're lactose-free, if you're concerned about that. Tuna, grapes, apple with natural nut butter, grapefruit... whatever floats your boat along those lines. All those are pretty easy to pack and carry around. Hope this helps!
  • molina76853
    molina76853 Posts: 143
    Options
    I have a desk job...i keep ice water and unsweet tea on my desk......sunflower seeds, sliced cucumbers, celery sticks, cherry tomotoes
  • jwerman
    jwerman Posts: 176
    Options
    Snacking actually is not a bad thing...provided they're healthy snacks. I find a good snack will take the edge off especially mid-afternoon, that way I'm not "starving" by the time I get off of work.

Here are just a few things that I bring with me to snack on during the day (they should fit in your purse and do not require a fridge):
    *Emerald 100 cal Almond packs-in a variety of flavors or any nuts/seeds in a ziploc portioned out.
    *pretty much any fresh fruit-especially apples, oranges and bananas-as they are purse friendly ;)
    * peanut butter and crackers in a ziploc baggie- I like wasa crackerbread and the jif to go cups.
    *granola or protein bars

Try and choose something with a higher fiber and protein content for your snacks, it seems to help with the full feeling. And keep a water bottle with you AT ALL TIMES! Staying hydrated seems to help me with those "I think I'm hungry, but not really" moments at work.

As far as exercise, take short "work related" walks frequently, to the copy room, to deliver a message etc.. and stand when possible. Nothing makes me feel more sluggish than sitting and sitting and sitting...

Hope this helps! Best of luck :)
  • dellrio
    dellrio Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Hot tea can provide a little bit of appetite suppressant, apples are also an appetite suppressant. In my desk drawer i keep almonds in ziplock bags at 1 serving each (24 Almonds - 163 calories). If I feel hungry i get a bag out and eat them 1 at a time, this makes the bag last 30 minutes or longer of a healthy source of protein and fiber. I also bring a pear or banana to work with me each day, and I drink a lot of tea.
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I like to measure all my snacks for work accurately the night before. I find if I bring the whole box of something, say like Triscuits, I'll eat mindlessly through half the package.

My morning snack is 7 Triscuits and A Laughing Cow Wedge. It's like 155 and keeps me full.

Then in the afternoon I either do yogurt, fruit or homemade trail mix--1/4 cup measured out beforehand, of course.

And TONS of WATER.

Good luck in your career!
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I have a variety of snacks in my desk drawer for when I get the munchies. I keep almonds, sweet potato chips, granola bars, 100 cal bags of chips/cookies (if i buy a big bag I am more likely to eat too much), fruit, PB2 and Fiber one 90 cal peanut butter brownies, applesauce cups and fruit cups. Thats what is currently in my drawer. I also always have tea bags and honey
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt
    almonds
    peanut butter and banana
    any fruit with an oz of cheese
    protein bar
    hard boiled egg
  • JenRLo
    JenRLo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I love all the suggestions. Mainly, keep the food in individual baggies so you don't have to worry about mindless eating. My favorites are Laughing Cow French Onion wedges with celery and/or Special K whole wheat crackers and Kashi TLC bars. I also keep green tea and a bottle of Mio for when I can't stand to drink more plain water.

For exercise, I walk at lunch. I take the 7 flights of stairs down to the ground (but not up - LOL). Fidgeting works too as long as you're not annoying anyone. Kegels are great too.

Welcome back, it will be a tough transition (I just did it about a year ago) but you'll learn to enjoy!
  • KittyHeff
    KittyHeff Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Some great tips!!
  • shaymo10
    shaymo10 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    100 Calories Snacks rock. Oh, and water with MIO enhancer takes away cravings for sweets.
  • KittyHeff
    KittyHeff Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    100 Calories Snacks rock. Oh, and water with MIO enhancer takes away cravings for sweets.
    What's MIO enhancer? Could do with that 1 week a month lol
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Here are my tricks:

I keep water at my desk.
    Walk around the building on breaks or climb the stairs.
    Keep a resistance band in my desk to take to an empty conference room at lunch and work on some upper body stuff.
    Snack on raw veggies and hummus, edename, nuts, dried fruit, fruit and chewy gum.
    Bring my own lunch so I know I eat healthy.
  • Ilovejacks
    Ilovejacks Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Nuts(almonds,soy)they will feel you up & taste good too!:love:
  • Cheeessseee
    Cheeessseee Posts: 29
    Options
    my stockpile at work consists of oranges, apples, pears, string cheese, almonds, fiber one bars, sun chips, oatmeal.... just a variety of things to snack on when I get hungry....
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    don't "snack". make everything you eat count.
  • Jessie544
    Jessie544 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I also have a desk job, some tips:

-pack all your mealsm this is very time consuming but will really keep you accountable because you're not going to want to eat some other crap because you've spent all the time working on your dinner...

-snacks I use include: bell peppers, celery, sugar snap peas, snow peas, veggie sticks, Annie's organic cheddar bunnies (like goldfish crackers)

As others have said before me, I have something to drink at my desk at all times, and it helps to have it to sip on. Also, hard candies like peppermints or some chewing gum help curb some cravings.

Good luck to ya!
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I have a big glass of water on my desk at all times. When ever I feel a hunger pain, I drink some water first. If this soothes the hunger I go on about my work. If not, I bring cut veggies (carrots, celery, broccoli, etc), fruit (bananas, apples, strawberries, etc) and granola and/or nuts (peanuts, cashews, sunflower seeds, etc). I also like to have a small piece of cheese and a couple of Triscuit crackers.

I also try and "schedule" my snacking. eg. I will bring an apple to the office as a morning snack and I will have a small handful of nuts mid-afternoon for my afternoon snack. I find that if I treat my snacks like meals and prepare them in advance. I tend to avoid overeating at snack time.

Best of luck getting back in the job routine!
  • JenRLo
    JenRLo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Mio is a water flavoring. Instead of packets, it's a liquid you squirt in your water so you control the amount of flavor. The mango peach is yummy. Fruit punch is ok.