I'm not saying I agree with this but....

Options

Replies

• Loraah
    Loraah Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Oh no BMR and TDEE. I got myself so confused by this. MFP set my daily calorie goal way lower than my BMR I actually upped it a bit myself
    Do you eat back exercise calories. I'm eating 1600 before exercise
    I am considered obese according to the BMI chart and when I limited my calories to 1200 and was working out, I did hit a plateau earlier than I expected. I'm not going into the term "starvation mode", but my body wanted more food. I now eat 1800 calories and am losing 1 - 2 pounds a week. It works for me.

11490831.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

I don't worry about eating back my workout calories because my target is to eat between 1800 - 2130. I am a part of the "eat more to weigh less" group on here. :happy: What I did was figure out my BMR and TDEE. When you figure these numbers, your exercise and daily activity is already in the equation so there is no need to "eat back" calories. My BMR is 1718, so I never go below that and my TDEE is 2663 so I try not to go above that. In order to lose weight I subtract 20% from my TDEE which is 2130. This works for me. It may not work for everyone and I don't want to debate it. :laugh: Hope this helps you!

11490831.png
  • Loraah
    Options
    Wow keep it up
    I quit smoking 3 1/2 weeks ago. It's without a doubt the hardest thing I've ever done. However, quitting now while I'm logging calories has kept me from turning to food. I watch my calories and exercise to make sure I'm not going to food to compensate for not smoking. So far it's working for me, I'm still losing.
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm the one in purple

So let me get this? Your body doesn't actually go into starvation mode until you are about down to 10 % body fat.

The trainer at the gym told me that if I ate under the 1200 I would not lose weight no matter how much cardio I did.
    It really has put fear in me. When I work out, they give me extra calories for it and If I don't eat that much than it will say you are not eating enough and all that jazz about starvation mode.

Please help.

Please don't worry about starvation mode. Hardly anyone who has access to this website will EVER have to worry about that. We can slow our metabolism if we consistently don't eat enough but even then it depends on your weight and activity level. The safest bet is to experiment and find what works for you. It would be so nice if there was a one size fits all answer! Just keep in mind that as long as you're on the road to health, you're doing beautifully. All the little details will work themselves out, I promise! There are so many great threads written here about weight loss and fueling your body in the way that works best for you. Pu_239 wrote one called "How to Lose Weight Correctly" that was helpful to me. I'd be happy to send you links to that and a few others if you'd like. Educating yourself and focusing on what your body says is the key to success! I wish you the best1
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I only eat 1000 calories a day but the only reason why is because before I started this I was skipping dinner competely and living mostly on salads so it was hard for me to start eating 1200 calories, I did in fact lose 15 1/2 pounds though so yeah you can lose weight only eating 1000 calories but I don't recommend it if your not used to eating less. I plan to up my calorie intake soon though cause I am getting used to eating more now
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    This is coming from an asthmatic so I might be a little biased. And this is MHO, no science to back this up, so take this for what it's worth: I think everything should be secondary to you quiting smoking. Like another poster said, do what you have to do, then come address this issue. That's not to say you should go crazy with food, though.
  • Loraah
    Options
    They are some really good ideas. Thank you. At the moment ive been trying to replace cigarettes with green tea, drinking it not smoking it, it helps a bit
    I have fought the cigarette battle too. I quit in January. Here are a few things that can help (helped me anyway).

Get some sugar free hard candies. Pop one of those in your mouth when you start craving a smoke.

Lots of water helps flush the chemicals out of your system and is just plain good for you.

If a hard craving hits, just start walking or do something with your hands. Those cravings seem to last forever but in reality they only last about 5 minutes.

It only takes three days or so for the nicotine to completely leave your system. Any cravings after that are purely mental. Find something to occupy your mind during those times.

Accept the fact that it will take a long time to learn how to be a non smoker. Learn new habits to replace that old one.
  • NWdreaming
    NWdreaming Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I am considered obese according to the BMI chart and when I limited my calories to 1200 and was working out, I did hit a plateau earlier than I expected. I'm not going into the term "starvation mode", but my body wanted more food. I now eat 1800 calories and am losing 1 - 2 pounds a week. It works for me.

I don't worry about eating back my workout calories because my target is to eat between 1800 - 2130. I am a part of the "eat more to weigh less" group on here. :happy: What I did was figure out my BMR and TDEE. When you figure these numbers, your exercise and daily activity is already in the equation so there is no need to "eat back" calories. My BMR is 1718, so I never go below that and my TDEE is 2663 so I try not to go above that. In order to lose weight I subtract 20% from my TDEE which is 2130. This works for me. It may not work for everyone and I don't want to debate it. :laugh: Hope this helps you!

If you have a 15-20% deficit from your TDEE you dont need to eat back your exercise calories.

This is exactly what I said. lol I don't eat back exercise calories. :bigsmile:

11490831.png
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options

11490831.png

11490831.png

^^This works well.
    No matter what your size, it's important to fuel your body correctly. By not eating back exercise your net can fall way too low - net of 600 is no good for anyone. An odd high or low day wont hurt, but you have more chance of keeping the weight off with healthy eating habits that you can keep up long term.
    I started @ 244lbs so not much less than you, eating 1600 total / 1100-1200 net.
    I increased cals accidentally following an injury which left me unable to exercise for a few weeks, and lost more by netting 1650. Now I'm able to exercise again I'm losing 1.5 EVERY week, 7 months in and have had no gain apart from 0.8 the first week I was injured, no plateau and am down 43lbs, 10% body fat and 2-3 clothes sizes. Tdee 2632 / bmr 1569.
  • Samleishel459
    Samleishel459 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I agree with not eating back the calories. I am way over anyway I would just like to be under to begin with. 1600 calories is not starving. As far as the giving up smoking find something else to do besides food. It's hard to let go of the food habit let alone do smoking on top of that. Take up knitting or something. Something to keep your fingers busy. I crotchet. :)
  • NWdreaming
    Options
    Oh no BMR and TDEE. I got myself so confused by this. MFP set my daily calorie goal way lower than my BMR I actually upped it a bit myself

11490831.png

11490831.png

I went into the "custom settings" to set my information. I use MFP as a calculator to enter my food to keep track of nutritional values and calories and I enter my exercises, also just to keep track of what I am doing daily.

11490831.png
  • Samleishel459
    Samleishel459 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    That is true, if you are hungry eat. Just don't eat hoho's and twinkies. If you know your body needs fuel give it.
  • Loraah
    Options
    I love that this has caused a bit of a debate. I'm finally getting some answers. I think I'm going to obviously stick to my 1600 a day and aim to eat back maybe 50% or more of my exercise calories. As for quitting smoking, I will do it this time but I will be doing it along side my diet and exercise plan, I wanna be fit and healthy in every aspect.

I just cannot wait to be the fit version of myself that I was in the not so distant past. Hello new start, goodbye cake, ridiculous amouts of alcohol and smoking
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options

11490831.png

11490831.png

I'm no expert, but I do think you have to calculate your own BMR and TDEE. I just make sure I eat somewhere between the two. Unlike others, I set my activity level to sedentary and then log exercise - I eat about half of these calories back. My rationale is that 1) MFP overestimates the calorie burn from exercise, hence eating about 50% of what it says 2) Logging exercise daily is a good reminder and motivational factor for me to concentrate on this aspect.
  • em9371
    Options
    I know this debate will never stop, but it’s worth a try. Maybe some clarity can be brought to some people. First off I notice people like to argue on the semantics of the word. So let’s define starvation mode so we’re clear.
    Starvation response: in animals is a set of adaptive biochemical and physiological changes that reduce metabolism in response to a lack of food.

The physiological process that happen in the body
    Low calorie diets suppress thyroid function specifically T3(triiodothyronine) which control metabolic rate. In true starvation (no food) the body will go in to ketosis. This just means that your body isn’t using glucose anymore for fuel, it’s using ketones. The muscles are stripped of amino acids to support critical organs that need amino acids. This will just slow your metabolic rate even more.

The person who eats low calories and exercises.
    Carb based diet- If someone is eating a carb based diet very low in calories and is exercising. There will be a point there is no dietary carbs in the system and to fuel your exercise you will have to break down muscle protein to convert to glucose. This is for the most part intensity dependent.

Protein based diet – If someone is eating protein based diet on a very low calorie diet. With exercise the same thing will happen. Glycogen will be needed and it will break down amino acids from the muscle mass you have. To support your exercise.

Gastric bypass.
    Another favorite of the anti-starvation people. How suppressed can a person metabolism get? These people just turn out to be skinny fat. Most of us know that’s loss of muscle mass. Of course a lot of fat is lost, but so is a lot of muscle. The “END RESULT” is skinny fat. A lot of health issues are “weight” related. Not so much “bodyfat %” related. If someone cuts down on total weight, they will get some health benefits to go along with it.

I was reading this dumb webpage how “exercise prevents muscle mass loss on low cal diets” It was anti-starvation response. Any bodybuilder or fitness enthusiast would tell you… This is the quickest way to strip away muscle mass.

I never have seen someone who has an eating disorder with a 6pack. What happens in these cases is they do lose “weight” but they also lose a lot of muscle. Their skin is all saggy and wrinkly; you can actually pinch their skin and get a good chunk. You think you can do that to someone who is lean? NO. This is an extreme case of skinny fat. If you can imagine someone with no muscle mass, what happens to their fat? Looks like anorexia to me.

If you're on a low calorie diet and not losing weight, it just means you're not burning more than you're consuming, your metabolism has been suppressed to the point of energy equilibrium. The starvation people go below this point and keep on losing muscle mass and some fat. Or you can go the other way, eat more, speed up your metabolism and have it work for you, not against you.

Fat loss is a difficult thing, once your body senses there isn’t enough food, it will hold on to it, and start striping muscle. Any experienced bodybuilder would tell you this. They talk about how they lose muscle mass while cutting. They will also tell you how to minimize the loss. You know how?? EAT YOUR FREAKING FOOD. The key to fat loss is to have a small deficit, this way your body won’t get the signal there is a lack of food and start striping away muscle mass. As I said many times 10-15% deficit from your TDEE(Total Daily Energy Expenditure).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/590135-physiological-responses-in-starvation-low-calorie-diets

The people who don't believe in starvation mode are inexperienced.

Amazing post pu :-)
  • theartichoke
    Options
    That is true, if you are hungry eat. Just don't eat hoho's and twinkies. If you know your body needs fuel give it.

Amen!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I will say, not meaning to cause offense, that the smoking is probably doing as much or more damage to you as the obesity. Unfortunately, nicotine is (as previously mentioned) an appetite suppressant, so part of the withdrawal for that is the desire to eat more. That ain't gonna get any easier or better as you proceed with weight loss.

You get to call your shots, but might I respectfully suggest switching to weight maintenance for a couple of weeks and focusing on getting the smokes out of your life, if that's a goal? Once you get clean from those, you'll be able to sustain much heavier workouts and the weight loss (once the short-term appetite issues are dealt with) gets a lot easier.

I absolutely, 100% agree with this. In my quest to get healthy I was neither successful at losing weight not quitting smoking if I attempted both at the same time. Focus on quitting now, work on your weight once you're off the cancer sticks. Best of luck to you! It's not easy, but it's so worth it!
  • diddyh
    diddyh Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I would say for the first few weeks of quitting smoking, do what you need to do to get through it. If you need to eat more, eat more. Get the nicotine out of your system and learn to control the cravings. See a doctor if you must. The smoking over the long haul can do so much damage. You don't want to ever find yourself with lung desease/ lung cancer. After you get through the tough part, you can get your eating back under control. In the long run, giving up smoking will help your health, wellness, and fitness more than you can imagine.

Edited to add: I am a former smoker. Quitting is so hard but so worth it! Don't worry about set backs for the time being.
  • NWdreaming
    Options

11490831.png

11490831.png

I'm no expert, but I do think you have to calculate your own BMR and TDEE. I just make sure I eat somewhere between the two. Unlike others, I set my activity level to sedentary and then log exercise - I eat about half of these calories back. My rationale is that 1) MFP overestimates the calorie burn from exercise, hence eating about 50% of what it says 2) Logging exercise daily is a good reminder and motivational factor for me to concentrate on this aspect.

Of course you need to calculate your own personal BMR and TDEE. I never said otherwise, hence the use of "my" before my statements. :happy: If you need to calculate your own there are many links floating around on here. I don't have them handy but you can always check out the group "eat more to weigh less" on here.

11490831.png
  • em9371
    Options
    I agree with not eating back the calories. I am way over anyway I would just like to be under to begin with. 1600 calories is not starving. As far as the giving up smoking find something else to do besides food. It's hard to let go of the food habit let alone do smoking on top of that. Take up knitting or something. Something to keep your fingers busy. I crotchet. :)

Depending on the amount of exercise, a person can est higher cals but still be under eating - eg eating 1600 and exercise off 1000, is just the same as eating only 600 which is way too little.
  • theartichoke
    Options
    I'm going to change my username to "theartichoke"!