Has anyone had success due to spinning classes?

Options

Replies

• sweetnthecity
    sweetnthecity Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    what about zumba? has anyone tried it?
  • Catjag
    Catjag Posts: 107
    Options
    Hi There, I'm a qualified RPM Spin Instructor and I would say GO FOR IT! Spinning is for everyone!

Just advise your instructor at the beginning of the class that you are a newbie and they will help you set up your bike and give you some advice as to the structure of the class and what to expect.

If at any time you feel its too much, turn down the resistance, sit down and keep your legs moving. Don't worry about people around you - they were beginners once!

The more you go the better you will get.

GO ON SURPRISE YOURSELF!!

Cx

Kia ora! Another RPM instructor on here! Which release are you teaching right now? We just did 54 for a bit and now I am remixing. LOVED the interval track from 54.
  • WannaBeThin87
    WannaBeThin87 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the responses. I'm going to at least give it a try, I'm hoping it changes my life as well. To those of u that have had weight loss success due to spinning- did u change ur eating habits as well? I think once I start I won't want to mess up all of my hard work by eating junk!
  • salgalruns
    salgalruns Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I am so confused then.... The past 2 times I've gone to spin, I've worked my butt off... Totally kept up with the instructors, dripped sweat from places I didn't know produced sweat, and I have gotten <300 calories burned each time (1 hour class). My armband monitor is fantastic with every other form of exercise, but not this one. Not sure if it's my armband, or if something is wrong?

Also, I've been to some spin classes where you are out of the seat more, but my instructor today said to stay in it more. Which is better?
  • AimersBee
    AimersBee Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Spin class is great! Did it for a few months, loved the feeling after it. It was an awesome workout. Whatever level you're at I'd say go, if you're tired and it's a lot, just slow down a bit.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I am so confused then.... The past 2 times I've gone to spin, I've worked my butt off... Totally kept up with the instructors, dripped sweat from places I didn't know produced sweat, and I have gotten <300 calories burned each time (1 hour class). My armband monitor is fantastic with every other form of exercise, but not this one. Not sure if it's my armband, or if something is wrong?

Also, I've been to some spin classes where you are out of the seat more, but my instructor today said to stay in it more. Which is better?

Arm band monitor - like Body Media Fit or BodyBugg?

Ya, worthless on real intense exercise, because a quarter inch patch of skin for any sensors is worthless compared to HR.
    it's good for walking and decent for running because your arm moves. Great for non-exercise daily burn.

Yes, you are burning more, assuredly.

And depending on your other workouts you think it's fantastic for - why exactly do you think it's fantastic, which I'm guessing means good at calorie counts?

Yes, follow the instructor. Some classes are endurance, some lactate threshold, some intervals. If it seemed easy while in the seat, increase the tension or spin a tad faster.
  • myjourney2
    myjourney2 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Yes I have been taking spin classes for like 8 years. It takes time for your behind to get used to the seat. It will hurt from the
    seat. I recommend getting a padded seat at a walmart or wherever you can get a bicycle gel seat. If you really get into it
    You can burn up to 800 calories in an hour.

So do they allow you to change the seat on the bike before the class? I have been thinking about joining the class at my gym.
  • Summer5555
    Summer5555 Posts: 104 Member
    Options

It's a lot easier to stand and pedal when the resistance is higher than to sit, my instructor has us do this usually the last set and my legs absolutely burn, I dread this bit but love it at the same time.

For the OP, just take it easy for your first few classes so you don't burn out early, if you feel like walking out after 10 minutes then you've gone too hard and back off, a lot. It took me a while to figure out the resistance and where I should be, give it time even if you have to use little to no resistance. Take a break if you need to, lower the resistance down and just peddle to recover and then pick it up again but not so hard, you will find those breaks get smaller until you no longer need them. Make it your goal to finish.
  • beanerific518
    beanerific518 Posts: 152
    Options
    Spin class is a lot of fun! It doesn't hurt to try it out if you are curious. If its too much, get your fitness level up by walking or the elliptical. Give it a month or two and then try it again. You will be amazed by how quickly your body can adapt to physical activity.
  • heybales
    Options
    Yes I have been taking spin classes for like 8 years. It takes time for your behind to get used to the seat. It will hurt from the
    seat. I recommend getting a padded seat at a walmart or wherever you can get a bicycle gel seat. If you really get into it
    You can burn up to 800 calories in an hour.

So do they allow you to change the seat on the bike before the class? I have been thinking about joining the class at my gym.

Probably referring to these slip on covers that have gel in them.

Here's the problem though, anything too soft or pliable is just going to squeeze up into areas you'd rather it not. And then there isn't anything under the sit bones anyway at that point, or minimal.

Best just to get the sit bones used to it. Don't do the class every day of course, need some variety, but may need more space of days at first too. Sit bones will get used to it.
  • Shawn8216
    Shawn8216 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Is it true that with spinning classes,your legs get bulky though? I wanna try a spinning class but I don't want my leg muscles to get any bigger. Also, my knees get sore rather easy at times- would spinning be okay for them ?
  • thegoddess2012
    Options
    Hi !
    I remember I almost pass out at my first class!
    I used to spinning a lot! I even did a spinnathon (3 hours in a row) to raise money!!
    Yes you loose lot's of weight and tone ...but it is a very hard one...
  • heybales
    Options
    Is it true that with spinning classes,your legs get bulky though? I wanna try a spinning class but I don't want my leg muscles to get any bigger. Also, my knees get sore rather easy at times- would spinning be okay for them ?

Hard spinning class is going to use up some intra-muscular fat for energy besides regular fat stores, but usually it's so intense, mainly carb burning.
    You won't get bulky unless you crank down on the tension and pedal like 20 rpm, pushing like a mad woman.

Confirm the instructor helps setup the bike geometry first to confirm no knee problems.

Since you are engaging more muscles, great on the knees.
  • Holly1019
    Holly1019 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Spinning does burn alot of calories. I usually burn about 500+ calories in 40-45 minutes. Since joining MFP I have lost about 30lbs, and I love my spin class!!!! LOVE IT
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options

Staying in the saddle burns more calories - see my explanation above on watts. (I'm an instructor).

As for your calorie burn; it varies according to your effort. Remember -- what feels like a Herculean effort in the first few classes will not feel that way in future classes; ha.

As you get used to it you will be become more efficient and you will be able to work harder (if you choose).

Basically, calories is burned is a function of your RMR x METs. The larger the person, the more calories they will burn, and the harder the person works the more calories they will burn. HOWEVER, perceived exertion is not the same as actual exertion.

As an example, I have people in my classes who cannot exceed 150 watts for a class while others can easily exceed 250. Both people perceive that they have worked very hard. In reality, the person working at the higher watts has put forth more effort. Watts is converted to METs then multiplied by the person's RMR/12 to calculate calories burned, therefore if a 200 lb person and 100 lb person each work the same watts, the 200 lb. person will still burn more calories. Again, there is a link to the formula in my post above if you're interested.

blessings.
  • sleepytexan
    Options

Um . . . no.

I've been an instructor for 8 years, so you can trust me.

BTW -- lifting heavy won't make you bulky either.
  • sleepytexan
    Options

Hard spinning class is going to use up some intra-muscular fat for energy besides regular fat stores, but usually it's so intense, mainly carb burning.
    You won't get bulky unless you crank down on the tension and pedal like 20 rpm, pushing like a mad woman.

Confirm the instructor helps setup the bike geometry first to confirm no knee problems.

Since you are engaging more muscles, great on the knees.

YOU WILL NOT GET BULKY NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO IN SPIN.

In fact if you put the tension down, and pedaled faster, you would be going anaerobic and that would in fact burn muscle, not add muscle.

You cannot add muscle by doing intense cardio activity. Cardio does not build muscle.

Even if you lift heavy, it is hard to get bulky. Why do you think guys cheat and take steroids? Because they can't bulk naturally, even with their testosterone and best efforts,

I wouldn't worry about bulking until you get to 300# squats . . .
  • Shawn8216
    Shawn8216 Posts: 63 Member
    Options

Um . . . no.

I only asked because someone who I was in the gym with mentioned how after she did spinning for six months, her legs got bulkier and bigger; therefore she had to go up a pant size even though she lost weight .. Thanks for the info!

Also, do you remeccomend talking to the instructor about my knees problems and if there is something different I should do during spin, or just give it a shot *
  • sleepytexan
    Options

Um . . . no.

I only asked because someone who I was in the gym with mentioned how after she did spinning for six months, her legs got bulkier and bigger; therefore she had to go up a pant size even though she lost weight .. Thanks for the info!

Also, do you remeccomend talking to the instructor about my knees problems and if there is something different I should do during spin, or just give it a shot *

Regarding the woman at the gym; I am skeptical. Perhaps she is a genetic outlier. Perhaps she's unaware of how much she eats. I've never seen a serious cyclist (think people riding Tour de France) with bulky . . . . anything. Have you? Certainly those people spend a lot of time cycling . . .

Regarding your knees, pinning is non-impact on the knees, so you should do fine. I personally have had chondromalacia since the age of 11 and spinning and cycling are activities that I choose because they are good for my knees. You would also find that rehab for knee injuries is exercise on a stationary bike.

That being said, I would warn against standing on the spin bike with low resistance, not because of impact, but because you would lose control and possibly have some lateral movement that could hurt them.

Of course it never hurts to explain your situation to an instructor, and of course, if something hurts, don't do it.

blessings.
  • realredhead79
    realredhead79 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Try spin. Go for 30 minutes at a time. Sit down and spin the wheels if you get tired. Stand up through some of the song, sit down when you get tired. When they play that same song at the next class, try to stand up longer.

Don't NOT go. You should try it. Go at your own pace. I promise you no one is watching. When I spin, it's me and the music. Tell the instructor you're new, and they'll give you the same advice.

Don't let it scare you. Try the class three times, then you'll be crazy like the rest of us.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!