Stronglifts 5x5 without so much... Medhi

Options
I recently decided to look into stronglifts.com after seeing a few people here raving about it. I did my first workout today and just used the bar as he suggests. I was rather underwhelmed, but I know the heavier lifting will come, eventually. Anyhow...

What I really want to know is if there is something out there that is the same or similar as this program that I could use; because I cannot for the life of me stand Medhi. I can see that he knows his stuff and I respect that. I just can't respect him. As someone on here described him, "he's a little too used-car salesman for me".

Replies

• oats4breakfast
    Options
    In any and all program you have to start somewhere. using the bar may be for form as much as anything - if you know your' 1RM, then start @ 70% or something. What exactly are you trying to do and with what lifts ?
    Look at smolov for a tone of work and gains, or wendler (don't forget the assistance exercises) for a slower consistent gain. Or get the starting strength book by rippentoe and follow it.
  • mjbrenner
    mjbrenner Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I just use the program and ignore the site. That way I get all of the benefit, and none of the sales push for the "Inner Circle". I understand his marketing tactic, and I agree that it feels pushy, but the program has been so solid for me that I can use it solo.
  • Johnsweaver
    Johnsweaver Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'll second Starting Strength by Rippetoe.
  • Shfiftyfive
    Shfiftyfive Posts: 261
    Options
    Rippetoe > Medhi. Medhi is a curlbro in a squatter's body. Just the way he writes and talks is obnoxious. Rippetoe can be a ****, but he actually has a leg to stand on.
  • oats4breakfast
    Options
    yes, rippentoe can come across as an (one can only guess) but he does make me laugh (videos too ... sometimes it's just how creepily he wears his shorts LOL).
    Sheiko is another program (or bunches of programs) too, but it's not the most simplest of things to work out what to do - especially when compared to something simple like Wendler or SS.
  • Shfiftyfive
    Shfiftyfive Posts: 261
    Options
    yes, rippentoe can come across as an (one can only guess) but he does make me laugh (videos too ... sometimes it's just how creepily he wears his shorts LOL).
    Sheiko is another program (or bunches of programs) too, but it's not the most simplest of things to work out what to do - especially when compared to something simple like Wendler or SS.

Lol d*** is what I said. And if you read his Q&A forums, it's not far from the truth. But with all the dumb questions he's heard, I can understand. Plus, he's highly intelligent and a wealth of information.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Get the free iPhone app. It walks you through the program without Mehdi. I get where you are coming from on him.
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    The program is really basic - you don't need Mehdi. Over on the SL 5x5 for women group, we have a sticky thread that breaks down all the core info (if I won't get in trouble for inviting a man to read it).

One you write down the plan for yourself, that's all you need.

It's only 5 lifts, after all. The progression is very basic (5 lbs per time, 10 lbs for deads). If you stall three times, deload 15 lbs and work back up to the stalled weight.

You don't have to every read another Mehdi post or email (because gods, not only is he totally male & bulk focused, but repetitive as as hell!)

If you need form advice, then Rippetoe is the man (except for barbell rows - apparently Rippetoe doesn't like those).