My first 5k race is this weekend

Options
Yanicka1
Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
How was your first race?

How did it go? What surprised you? What was your mistakes?

Let me know what you remember from your first race :smile:

Replies

• IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    My first 5k I think I went out too fast. I was only a few weeks into C25K at the time and had never actually run the distance before.

I say just go out and have fun, don't worry about your time.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Nervous as hell. Went alone. Manged to relax and get into the celebration. It was an event to raise funds for a place that helps kids with disabilities learn to walk -- "Run to Walk".

I picked one guy out in the crowd that looked about my age and size. Kept him in my sights the whole race as a pacer.

The race itself? It was thrilling. It was comforting to see folks even slower than me. I had a great time, and felt on top of the world.

Piece of advice? Poop all you can before the race, so that you don't get a sudden urge. I'm sure you already know that though, from your training runs.

Have fun, kiddo!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    which one are you doing?
    next time let me know and I'll do it with you.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I had a blast my first race. I ran it only for me, and wanted to beat only my best practice time.
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I was so nervous! I hadn't run more than a mile without stopping before. But I knew a couple people who were running it, and there was beer at the end.

Once it started, I was amazed at how easy it was to keep up with people who I am sure were running faster than I normally do.

I ran for almost two miles, walked about a quarter, and then was able to run the rest.

I finished it in 35:48! I was so impressed with myself.

It was amazing fun, and now I run at least one a month just for fun, and to see if I can do it faster than the one before.

Above all, have fun. Don't worry about how fast other people are going, run at a pace that's comfortable. There is no shame in walking, do what you have to do to finish.

Good luck!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    My first one was last weekend. It's lots of fun and I think it helps if you have a goal. I wanted to finish in 45 minutes (I'm slow). It's a rush just completing the race. Have fun!
  • andigurl513
    andigurl513 Posts: 19
    Options
    The best advice I have for you is to have FUN!!!!!!!! This is the only 5K you'll ever run with no "time to beat". It's going to automatically be your PR, so enjoy it, embrace it, and have a good time!
    My first race was a turjey trot on Thanksgiving Day 2007 (or 2008, lol). It was an off road dirt trail overlooking Lake Mead, the weather was great, the people were in good moods and it was just a great time. Ih ope you have a similar experience!
  • dgage8
    dgage8 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Just enjoy it. Be proud of where you are, and even if you're the last person to cross the finish line, make sure you cross it!
  • MiniMichelle
    MiniMichelle Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    bumping... for my race this weekend too :)
  • Yanicka1
    Options
    which one are you doing?
    next time let me know and I'll do it with you.

The one for hospital St-Jerome it is at Mirabel airport
  • trout78
    trout78 Posts: 102
    Options
    My first 5K was Thanksgiving of 2011 and I remember the adrenaline of the crowd sure helped keep you going! I ended up walking for about a minute close to the end...but when I made it there I cried a little, 10 months before that I would have never thought I would even be running so it was a big deal for me!
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Don't go too fast in the first mile. It will feel slower than it actually is. You will hear that gun/horn go off, see everyone take off...and off you go to the races (hehe). Then by mile 2, you are hating life. So, make sure you don't sprint that first mile.

Also, don't eat or drink too much right before the race.

Don't stop right at the finish line, if someone is behind you, you'll get run over.

Most importantly, have fun!
  • AngieBil
    AngieBil Posts: 28
    Options
    Good luck on your first 5k. I'm doing my first one in 4 weeks. Please share your thoughts on the race next week.
    I'm sure you'll be happy with yourself once the race is over... try not to stress to much about it. (says the girl who has never actually done a 5k!) ;)
  • dperich1968
    dperich1968 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    The best advice given to me was to be in the middle of the pack when the race starts, don't run your best time during the first mile, HAVE FUN and if you have to walk, that is OK.

I had ran a couple test 5k's prior to my actual race and was feeling pretty good. I actually beat my time from both of those tests.

Sign up for your next 5K as soon as you can right after this one. I did and can't wait to beat my PR.

Good Luck!!
  • Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    My first 5K race (Long time ago) I was already running longer distances than that in the Army so I knew I would finish, But I've always been a bit of a 'Plodder' so after the race started I picked out people ahead of me and kept telling myself I'm gonna beat that guy until I passed him then would pick out my next target. Felt great nobody i passed ever caught up with me.
  • Yanicka1
    Options
    Thank you everyone
    -Enjoy
    -Go slow
    -Poop before

Noted