Eating unhealthy on vacation

Options
I am going to be gone for the next 3 weekends. My problem is I eat very healthy during the week when I am at work and doing my usual routine, but when I leave town I don't have the will power to eat the right foods. I was gone last weekend and gained two pounds. I gain ground and then lose it....it's frustrating. The other problem is I am usually somewhere where I don't have time to exercise.

Does anyone have any tips to be successful in eating healthy on vacation?

Replies

• mememabob
    mememabob Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have no tips but I'd love to hear some as well. I just got back from a quick vacation and I definitely gained. Wishing you good luck on your trip!
  • riadastfu
    riadastfu Posts: 69
    Options
    It's all contained in your opening paragraph. You need to have the willpower to eat what you know you should.

All the tips in the world wont help you if you don't have the willpower to follow through.

You don't have to eat just boiled veggies and water while away. You can eat regular food, JUST CUT DOWN THE PORTIONS, and avoid unnecessary additions. Keep in mind the usual portions you eat and apply it to your 'vacation' food. Skip the whipped cream on the pie, choose grilled/broiled instead of deep fried, avoid cream sauces. Eat half the pasta portion you ordered instead of the whole thing.

Don't deprive yourself, just be sensible.
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Walk everywhere if possible. If the hotel has a gym, use it. And still log everything here. And don't forget to enjoy yourself. Have fun!
  • bethhyg
    bethhyg Posts: 209
    Options
    Eat whatever you want, as long as it falls within your calories for the day.
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Here is how I do it:

1. Pack food scale and mini magic bullet blender.
    2. Get a room with a fridge (and kitchenette if possible). If you can't get one then figure out where the ice machine is.
    3. Find local grocery store and buy all the food you will need.
    4. Stock up fridge or find a bucket to fill with ice and stock that with food
    5. Plan your meals before you go out stick to it! Adapt if necessary.
    6. Vacation while you still lose weight.

Obviously there can be road blocks thrown in... you may need to go out to eat with co workers, you may not have access at the local market to what you normally eat. There may be no fridge, kitchenette or spare buckets. I've actually had a hotel refuse to provide all 3 and I've just filled the bottom dresser drawer with ice and used that!

It can be done, and if you give it a solid effort you will be successful even with the inevitable roadblocks. Good luck!
  • butterflyrae2010
    butterflyrae2010 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My will power at home is great. Nothing tempts me during the work week because I pack my lunch every day. We will only be gone three days but in that time we will be with a group of people (softball tournament) and so this always happens......let's go have pizza, let's get a hamburger, ice cream sounds great...and on and on.

I like the idea of packing the bullet blender. I actually have one of those. We won't have a fridge in the room but there is an ice machine down the hall.

I also like the idea of walking. I might get up early and go for a run /walk each morning. I will be sure to take my workout clothes and shoes.

I have taken meal bars (pure protein) in the past and substituted that for a meal when everyone else is ready for fast food.
  • sneph650
    sneph650 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    On the last trip I took, I brought a bag of cashews, turkey and salmon jerky, my blender bottle, protein powder, greens powder, individual almond butter packets, and chia seeds. I also bought cucumbers, bell peppers, and hummus at the grocery store when I arrived.

The cucumber and bell pepper didn't need refrigeration for the length of time I kept them. I put the hummus on ice in the hotel room ice bucket. I kept the cashews and a packet of jerky in my purse at all times.

I had the shake (protein powder, greens powder, almond butter, and tsp of chia seeds) for one meal substitute per day. I kept hunger at bay throughout the day with a handful of nuts or jerky from time to time. I ate the hummus and veggies as needed, which was typically an evening snack.

Other than that, I ate one restaurant meal a day that was vegetable and protein heavy.

My answer is pretty detailed....but hopefully it helps! Have a nice trip. :)
  • smhammons
    smhammons Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    My wife and I go out to eat all the time and I have found that most popular eating establishment you are able to type into MFP and it will pull up the calorie information also if you look on the internet you can usally pull up the nutrial information for most large chain resturants and even fast food places this will help in keeping you on track for the calorie aspect. The only big problem then would be your sodium intack but that is something that is still managable if you log everything in..
    Good luck:drinker:
  • luvmypwds
    luvmypwds Posts: 81
    Options
    those 2 pounds you gained last weekend, did they stick, or did you lose them after a couple of days? I doubt you gained 2 pounds over the weekend. To do that you'd have to eat an excess of 7000 calories, which actually is not easy to do!
  • butterflyrae2010
    butterflyrae2010 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    No they didn't stick maybe a .5 pound though. I feel like I have benn fluctuating with 4 or 5 pounds this past month. The only time I actually dropped some weight this past month was when I had some major kids problems and was too worried to eat.

I am going to pack along some good foods to take. At this place we are going they have a breakfast buffet, but I usually am pretty good eating at it. I have an omlet with green veggies and made with egg whites and some fruit. Its the dinner meal I have a problem with.
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I actually disagree (in a way) with eating the same things, only smaller portions for meals. That leaves you hungrier, sooner, which then leads to you eating again earlier than if you would have had a properly portioned meal, therefore adding more calories unnecessarily. But I do agree that if you go for ice cream, have some but have small portions!

I'm getting ready to go on vacation for 3.5 weeks (I live overseas and only see my family in the USA once a year) and I struggle with this every year. Last year was the first year I actually went on vacation with a plan of attack though and it really worked in my benifit! I didn't gain nearly as much as I had the previous years so this year I'm doing a repeat performance and adding something things.

This year I am trying to fit in exercise at least 3 times a week. I will supply my environment with fresh fruits Watermelon is super expensive in the Netherlands so I can't wait to buy one at tle local grocer for under $5! (Fruits travel well, don't require refrigeration, pack them in your bag!). When I know I'm going to a function where there will be foods in abundance, I try to eat a little something before or at least get a story in my head of how to get out of eating pie for the third time that week! My family is filled with food pushers so I have to have ways to deflect their pushing planned out ahead of time otherwise I'll fall into their evil traps haha.

Vacation is going to be a part of my life for the rest of my life so I have to find something that works FOR ME. I suggest you do the same. It's all trial and error. Get a plan, see how it goes and then tweak it until you have it down. Good luck!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    2 suggestions for you:

- alternate calorie filled drinks (alcoholic or otherwise) with plain soda water with a slice of lemon. No calories but it stil feels like you are having a fun drink because it's fuzzy. Especially if they put an umbrella in it!
    - if you are eating at a buffet - check out what is there before you start eating and choose one thing to enjoy. Even if it's higher cal that you would usually eat, don't worry about it too much, just be aware of portion sizes. If you want a second course choose salad or fruit. Take note of the other things you'd like to try and come back for them tomorrow! I do this when I'm having a hotel buffet breakfast and it makes me feel more in control knowing that I can have any yummy thing I want to eat, but I'm not going to eat them all every single day!

And a bonus suggestion:
    - enjoy your holiday. Pay attention to what you are eating, but don't agonise if it's not easy to make healthy choices every time. Each time you make a good choice, that's a small victory, and as long as there are more healthy options than not, you'll do fine.
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I spent a whole week on a cruise ship and ate everything I wanted to on my holiday and did not count calories, nor did I really exercise (my holiday mainly consisted of eating & napping in the sun on a deckchair). I maintained my weight fine (or put on I think maybe 500grams). I had gone so long without counting calories and did not want to ruin my holiday counting and worrying about food (besides, I had no phone reception in the middle of the ocean and the internet was super expensive). I enjoyed my week of food bliss.

I feel you should enjoy and not worry about calories on the odd occasion, however, if it's going to be over the next few weekends, then choose one weekend (maybe the last one) that you can eat whatever, the other couple you need to stay strong and tell yourself, in a couple of weeks I will eat whatever I want. I think the whole "No, you can't eat this" makes your body want it even more and then willpower gets the better of you and once you start it's like "whats the point, I've started now". Stay strong.

You're the only person who can control yourself. Either that or have a tiny portion of something and ensure it stays within your calorie daily limit.