My weight loss has stalled...ugh...help!

Options
So I have been on MPF since late March, I was able to loose 21 pounds 1200 cal a day work out 5-6 days a week, mainly cardio since I have a shoulder injury that has taken a long time to heal. My BMR is 1569 and my tddee is 2425. I havent been able to loose anymore weight...what am I doing wrong?

Replies

• s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Options
    Try searching under plateaus in the forums. From what I have read, it kind of sounds like you aren't eating enough with all the exercise you have been doing. Try to up your calories a little, make sure you drink plenty of water, and try to watch your sodium. Also you may wish to make your diary public if you want people to give you advice on what may be holding you up in your diet. Good luck.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Your body gets used to how much you eat. This is not necessarily a good thing when you are eating too little.

WHY 1200 CALORIES (or fewer) MIGHT BE A BAD IDEA:

You lose weight for a while and maybe you will make it to goal (the bigger you are, the longer this will work, however most people can't get those last 10-20 lbs off at 1200 calories).

The longer you do this, the longer your metabolism has to adjust downward and get used to 1200 calories. Assuming you make it to goal, you want to maintain, right? What do you think is going to happen when/if you get there and it's time to maintain, when you start trying to eat "maintenance" calories? You'll gain. Welcome back to the yo-yo.

WHY EATING AT THE TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) OF YOUR GOAL WEIGHT MIGHT BE A BETTER IDEA:

Eat now, like the thin you at maintenance. Fat2Ftiradio.com can help you find the TDEE of your ideal weight: Choose ALL CALCULATORS, MILITARY BODY FAT%, then get your bodyfat estimate. Now calculate your BMR, and look in the chart below to see the TDEE of your goal weight -- that is how much the thin you will eat at maintenance.

Eating at maintenance for your ideal weight is a great idea because you will eat THIS SAME AMOUNT of calories for life. Your metabolism will not slow down to match too little fuel (1200 calories), and consequently stall on the way to goal, or cause you to gain when you try to increase calories later to maintain.

BTW, if you have been eating below your BMR for an extended period of time, and especially if you have been stalled/plateaued for an extended period of time, you may experience a slight gain for some weeks after you increase to the proper amount of calories. However, at the point where your body adjusts to the proper amount of fuel based on your dally activities, you will begin to lose again and break through the plateau.

Blessings.
  • msrobinson77
    msrobinson77 Posts: 177
    Options
    21 pounds since March sounds like great progress! You probably will slow down a bit, but don't get discouraged. Remember-slow and steady wins the race.. If you open your diary, I'm sure you'll get lots of good advice! Good luck!
  • carlyholly
    carlyholly Posts: 52
    Options
    I havent been able to loose anymore weight...what am I doing wrong?

You're not eating enough. Eat more.
  • docdriza
    docdriza Posts: 2
    Options
    Your workouts may need to involve high impact exercises. This means you are going to want to do things that get your heart rate up, and stay up. As for food, its not all about how many calories you ea, its what you eat. just my two cents.
  • carpediem3
    carpediem3 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I've tried everything everyone has written here and I have not lost an ounce in 4 LONG months! In fact, I have gained/lost the same 5lbs over and over...and over. Good luck!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    First of all if you have not been taking your measurements do so starting now. There are times for many people when they don't lose weight, but they do have their measurements change for the better, sometimes a lot. I should have saved the link, but one person here posted pictures of a before and after where she had really not lost any weight, but she looked amazingly different to the point that you would have thought she had lost a lot of weight. Moral of the story, body change is not always shown by weight loss.

Second, I agree that 1200 calories seems very low based on the TDEE and BMR numbers you gave. I would suggest you eat more.
  • Nickoled
    Nickoled Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I do cardio at my heart rate of 128-138 for 45-60 min a day, I also opened up my food diary...thanks for all your help guys
  • Nickoled
    Nickoled Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    So I have been on MPF since late March, I was able to loose 21 pounds 1200 cal a day work out 5-6 days a week, mainly cardio since I have a shoulder injury that has taken a long time to heal. My BMR is 1569 and my tddee is 2425. When I do my cardio I am reaching my target heart rate, please feel free to view my food diary. I havent been able to loose anymore weight...what am I doing wrong?
  • s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Options
    Looking at your diary I can see that you are eating way to little. You have some pretty salty foods in there too. You should probably eat more coffee and a piece of fruit isn't really a meal for breakfast. I also don't see many veggies besides the salad/lettuce. More veggies would probably help the digestion up and push everything out. But the main thing is that you need to eat enough- remember that mfp sets up a deficit to begin with and your body does need energy to keep going.