Zumba?

Options
13»

Replies

• nomoreplaying
    Options
    I LOVE ZUMBA. LOVE IT TO DEATH. I LIKE THE CLASSES CAUSE THE MUSIC IS VERY VERY LOUD, AND OUR INSTRUCTOR IS A MAN, AND THE VIEW OF HIS BEHIND IS ABSOLUTELY AWESOME
  • ChrisK7265
    ChrisK7265 Posts: 21
    Options
    I have been going to Zumba 4x/week for the past 6 weeks. I have lost 4" on my waist and 3" on my hips, as well as 11 lbs! It is awesome! I also recommend a class - it keeps you pumped up. I am so addicted to it I am considering becoming an instructor. As for Zumba toning, I just started it 2 weeks ago, after I knew I had all my routine steps down. I find it very challenging, and a good way to remind me to target specific muscles when doing regular Zumba. It's not meant as a weight lifting tool, that's why the hand weights are so light. Of course, a great instructor makes all the difference in whether you will like Zumba or not!
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I go to a class once a week and also have it on the WII. I prefer a class as it is more fun but like the WII as well my children enjoy it as well and it has become a family thing to do.
  • mariajae
    mariajae Posts: 18
    Options
    I want to start Zumba but every time I start moving and doing even little jumps somehow I end up jamming my ankle, or my knee hurts...it almost feels like I'm too heavy for it.

Those of you that have done it, were you already somewhat in shape/lighter when you started? Or did you find that your body adjusted? Last thing I want is to go once, blow an ankle and be out of commission 6-8 weeks.

I modify a lot. For example, I do steps in place when they spin. I am careful about jumping and lunges. I was not in shape when I started - and I still am not in shape. I had a long way to go and I am only partway there. One thing that may help you learn to adjust is to find a Zumba Gold class and get there just a couple minutes early. Let the instructor know what problems you have had in the past so he or she can be sure to offer modifications options during the class.
  • FloraSin
    FloraSin Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I also want to get into Zumba. There's a once a week class near my house and I have a friend to go with, but I'm thinking I might also check out some videos or invest in getting a Kinect and the Zumba game.
  • mindfulone
    mindfulone Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I plan to start water ZUMBA next week I have the wii Zumba and it gives you a great work out and its fun so you dont notice that time has flown by...
  • xochi71
    xochi71 Posts: 33
    Options
    Zumba is a great way to burn calories. There are many modifications and u should ask ur instructor about them. ( I know, I am an instructor and I always give low impact versions of high impact steps) but either way just go in and have fun! Start off easy as u adjust to the moves ur body will too and u will be able to add high impact steps slowly.
  • reyopo
    reyopo Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I am currently a Zumba instructor, and have lost all of my weight through doing Zumba, eating healthier choices, and calorie control. I have been a dancer since I was little, but my first Zumba class I was HORRIBLE! If you do go to a Zumba class, might I suggest committing to at least 2 classes. The first one you will have no idea about the routine, and might just flail around like I did. My second class, though, I knew a bit better what to expect, and decided to become an instructor THAT DAY! I signed up for the instructor course that afternoon, and became an instructor 2 months later.

I've never done any of the "games" (Wii, etc.) because I don't have a game console, but I've seen how they make them, and they are pretty amazing.

As for the jumping and injuring yourself - you can go at your own pace. Just do something else instead of jumping. Remember, it's YOUR workout!

I have been taking Zumba classes twice a week for the last 2 1/2 years, and loved every minute of every single class. I am currently (VERY BEGRUDGINGLY) taking a break from Zumba to heal tendinitis in my knees (in the Pes Anserine tendon on the inside of both knees). I didn't injure myself jumping, but because I wore the wrong shoes! At least I think that's the reason. I wore trail running shoes with traction and wide soles...mostly because at first, I was afraid I'd fall on my but in slippery shoes. All the side to side movements wore my poor tendons down over time. I now have to put warming lotion on them before I exercise and ice them after...and I'm relegated to the elliptical machines, and stationary bikes for my cardio (which I hate every minute of). I've always done power yoga too, and continue too now, and that seems to be fine...if a pose hurts, I just don't do it. But, it breaks my heart to walk in to the gym at Zumba time and have to go to the cardio machine room instead. I REALLY hope I can get back to it soon. Please warn your students they could be doing damage to their joints without knowing it by wearing the wrong shoes!
  • susieqa6699
    susieqa6699 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I hate cardio workouts....but zumba isn't a treadmill and I LOVE it!
  • Jenniriggins
    Jenniriggins Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have the xbox 360 kinect zumba rush & absolutely. Love it. Starting my 4th week zumbaing and doing the app & I have lost 10 lbs.

What is Zumba rush and the app???
  • jleeneps
    jleeneps Posts: 2
    Options
    Zumba rush is the xbox 360 game that was developed from the zumba. The app I was referencing was the myfitnesspal appp..sorry.