Do I really have to eat so much?

cwvanek
cwvanek Posts: 111
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
MFP suggests I have 1200 calories a day in order to lose 1.7lbs a week. However when I exercise it tells me that I earned extra calories from working out. Today for example it has me at 1600 calories. Do I really have to keep eating in order to hit that number? I am not hungry at all. 1200 calories is plenty for me without feeling too full or feeling like I'm starving.

Replies

• savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    You should eat some of your exercise calories back. MFP puts you at a calorie deficit already, so by not eating any calories back you could be at starvation mode. Say you ate 1200 calories today, since it was at 1600 that means you worked out and burned 400 calories. If you didn't eat any back, it means you have roughly only 800 net calories which is below the minimum recommended. I try to at least get to 1000 net calories if I have worked out hard.

I am no expert though. :wink:
  • I don't think you need to keep eating. Some days that I work out I still stick to the 1200 cals. But some days after I work out I get hungry and I use the extra cals. If I can I stick to the 1200 I do but some days I need a treat!
  • I would suggest reading this post:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

It explains why exercise calories are important. :flowerforyou:
  • I know you said you're not hungry, and I'm not sure about your eating patterns. What helps me though, is to eat SOMETHING every two hours. Exercise or not. You're body will QUICKLY get used to it and actually feel hungry in that time. The best thing is that you will get full quicker so you don't binge. You're body starts telling you when it's had enough too, which personally, is encouraging to me. By the end of the day, exercise or not, you will more than likely get to the goal MFP is setting you at. On days you work out, try adding a spoon full of peanut butter (if you're not allergic or grossed out) with every thing you eat. It will add extra calories and protein!
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Yes you should try to eat at least half. There are some threads posted at the top of the general weight loss forum for newbies that explain about how the calorie deficit is still there when you eat your exercise cals.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    You should eat some or all of your exercise calories so that you will get enough net calories in your body. You don't always have to eat a large volume of food to get that many calories in. Two tablespoons of peanut butter and a glass of skim milk is roughly 250 to 300 calories, and that shouldn't make you too full. Nuts are also a good way to get in calories without feeling stuffed.
  • I don't know bout u all but when i eat some thing and i excerise i get hungry quick cuse i guess i burned off what little calories i had so i eat and sometimes i don't
  • kobrie17
    kobrie17 Posts: 106 Member
    i think you should.. from my own experience i put myself in starvation mode for 4 months and lost 20 lbs but now that i'm eating what they recommend, its so much easier. and i remember the first month of my extreme diet i lost 12lbs and this month i lost 11..so, it eat what they tell u!

with that said, i've also cut white (refined sugar) bread products and soda, and i dont eat wheat bread products for dinner or late night snacks. this could have alot to do with the loss.

i think you should try to eat the extra calories by eating wholesome but high calorie foods like nuts, cheese, wheat or multigrain bread, eggs, red meat.

but dont stuff em all in at the end of the day..

maybe eat them before your workout!

if you know you're going to be burning more than 200 calories then eat a big breakfast and lunch!
    btw i think a 200 calorie defecet once or twice a week would be good, but ur talking 400 and it seems like its often for you)
  • cwvanek
    cwvanek Posts: 111
    I understand now :) Thanks for your help, everyone :heart:
This discussion has been closed.