Is 130g too much protein in one day?

Options

Replies

• juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    If my lean muscle mass is 100 and I eat 100 g of protein will this help build more lean muscle.

I don't want to bulk up, but I want to gain lean muscle.

I'm just getting started with strength training.

You will NOT bulk up.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I'm a chick and I aim for 150+ gm, so my vote is NO. :flowerforyou:
  • ThinUpGirl
    ThinUpGirl Posts: 397
    Options
    Any recommendations for protein powder??

I can't imagine eatting that much protein...
  • lillebanon
    lillebanon Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Unless you have kidney problems, you likely won't get too much protein. I had 131g today and I'm a vegetarian female.

Good job Morebean. I'm at 138g (also a vegetarian) so far today, and I still have 200 calories to eat/drink, so I'm thinking a whey powder in soymilk shake... That will put me at 170, which is my daily goal.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Any recommendations for protein powder??

I can't imagine eatting that much protein...

I like Optimum Nutrition Double Rich Chocolate. 1 scoop is 120 cals, 24 gm of protein. I just mix it in water with a spoon...it mixes smooth and tastes great.
  • mwcraig34
    mwcraig34 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Thank u!
  • Emv79
    Emv79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I'm a chick and I aim for 150+ gm, so my vote is NO.

Same here. I'm a woman and I aim for 145-150gm
  • Emv79
    Emv79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I use Promasil whey protein powder : 90cal & 20mg protein per scoop. I have 2 scoops with water after my workouts. Vanilla tastes good to me!
  • mwcraig34
    Options
    So I'm thinking from what I read and have seen from the wed sites I need to be around 200 - 225g of protein a day!
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing is too much protein... Its more not enough protein ;)
  • shauna121211
    shauna121211 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I've set my goals to 40% carbs, 30% fat, and 30% protein. MFP definitely sets protein too low in my opinion.
  • HYBRIDXXX
    HYBRIDXXX Posts: 86
    Options
    WELL I HAVE 200 A DAY BT I ALSO WORK OUT WIT INSANITY 6 DAYZ A WEEK. ROUND 2 OF INSANITY SO I PRETTY MUCH HAVE IT DOWN PACKED. THE 200 GRAMS A DAY IS ONLY BEIN DONE FOR 4-6 WEEKS BCZ IT IS A FAT SHREDDER WIT 100 GRAMS OF CARBS A DAY & 47 GRAMS OF FAT. IT REALLY HELPS 2 LOWER UR CARBS & UP UR PROTEIN BT MAKE SURE U STILL GET UR DAILY FIBER INTAKE. DNT DO IT FOR MORE THAN 6 WEEKS
  • mwcraig34
    Options
    WELL I HAVE 200 A DAY BT I ALSO WORK OUT WIT INSANITY 6 DAYZ A WEEK. ROUND 2 OF INSANITY SO I PRETTY MUCH HAVE IT DOWN PACKED. THE 200 GRAMS A DAY IS ONLY BEIN DONE FOR 4-6 WEEKS BCZ IT IS A FAT SHREDDER WIT 100 GRAMS OF CARBS A DAY & 47 GRAMS OF FAT. IT REALLY HELPS 2 LOWER UR CARBS & UP UR PROTEIN BT MAKE SURE U STILL GET UR DAILY FIBER INTAKE. DNT DO IT FOR MORE THAN 6 WEEKS

Ok I'm working out 3 times a week for 1 to 2 hours cardio and lifting weights!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Unless you have kidney problems, you likely won't get too much protein. I had 131g today and I'm a vegetarian female.

that is impressive. whey to go!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

Good job Morebean. I'm at 138g (also a vegetarian) so far today, and I still have 200 calories to eat/drink, so I'm thinking a whey powder in soymilk shake... That will put me at 170, which is my daily goal.

Whey to go on you too!
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options

I take in at least 225 to 250g a day

My goal is 240g of protein. It's hard for me to reach it without supplements :-(
  • Ahluvly
    Ahluvly Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Is 130g too much? It will depend on what you're trying to achieve! I have my macros set to 40c, 30p and 30f. This works for me! Over 15 weeks, my average protein intake works out around 115g....I take a protein shake on a morning and I eat a lot of lean meats to help with muscle recovery.

I think it's 0.8g of protein per 1kg of body weight as a guide! Check this out, but like I say it depends on what you're trying to achieve.... http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/nutrition/a/protein.htm
  • bodybuilder2001
    Options
    I consumed about 280g of protein today. I think it depends on what you do or what your goals are. If you are trying to get yourself some muscles then you should shoot for a lot more protein. However, look out for some unwanted fat that shows up with the protein.
  • Crystalchaos72
    Options
    I'm a chick and I aim for 150+ gm, so my vote is NO. :flowerforyou:

DITTO :)
  • texastango
    texastango Posts: 309
    Options
    I have started to add protein powder to my diet and dont want to over do it! Is 130g of protein too much in one day?

Guidelines for Protein intake and some facts:

These recommendations come from several sources. One is SCAN - The Sports, Cardiovascular Wellness. Health and Nutrition website - recognized by licenced Nutritionists.

Normal Kidney function is important so have yours checked before you embark on high protein intake. Protein doesn't seem to have a direct effect on the kidney per se, but if you have kidney injury it can worsen tubule function per my Nephrologist friends.

Normal Kidneys

Normal dietary intake - 0.8 to 1.0 grams per kilo of weight. A kilo is 2.2 lbs. This is roughly half your weight.

Aerobic Activity (heavy) - 1.2 - 1.4 grams per kilo weight

Resistance Training - Heavy to muscle failure - 1.4 - 1.8 grams per kilo.

NO BENEFIT has been shown to intake over 2.0 grams per kilo (roughly your weight in grams protein).

Another way to think of this is instead of the normal protein intake of 15 percent of your calories from protein, make your diet about 30 percent calories from protein or a bit less. That would double the 1.0 grams per kilo weight to 2.0 grams per kilo weight.

Protein is 4 cal per gram.
    Carbs 4 cals per gram.
    Fat 9 cals per gram.

So if your calorie allowance is 1500 - then normal protein for that would be 1500 cals x 15 percent = 225 cals from protein
    225 cals from protein divided by 4 cals per gram protein = 56 grams of protein. Twice that would be 112 grams protein.

So to answer your question: Is 130 grams of protein too much in one day. Do the math for yourself and see.
    Also check to make sure your kidney function is okay first.
    Also realize that it will help to use supplements that are LOW in CHOLESTEROL. As protein consumption goes up, and carbs down, fat and cholesterol content also tend to go up.

Some whey products (Jay Robb) have zero cholesterol and zero sugar. They use non-growth hormone injected cows. You get the idea. Other whey products have as much as 75 mg cholesterol per scoop. Two scoops and your at 150 (half your alotment for the day). So look at the numbers carefully. Also, calcium excretion into the urine seems to increase with increased protein intake (ie kidney stone formation can occur as can bone loss).

If this helps and you want more...add me and I'd be happy to pass on what I know. I have several friends that are Sports and regular Nutritionists and if you couldn't guess, I'm in health care myself.

Hope this helps.

How much is too much? Good question. Clearly over 2.0 grams per kilo is enough. How much can be utilized in a specific amount of time is another issue as well. It's a good idea to spread your protein intake out throughout the day for several reasons. Better utilization / less waste of protein. You can only absorb so much at a time. Second, some studies show that gycogen synthesis rates (the rate of making / replacing your energy source / fuel to build repair muscle) is best if insulin levels are kept fairly constant. (ie no insulin spikes). You can help this by after work outs having both liquid and solid protein within 30 minutes to an hour.

As to how much is too much - well nephrologists in the old days flooded people with Albumin drips (protein) and their BUN (blood urea nitrogen) levels went through the roof...but the patients didn't go into renal failure. So high protein to a point (don't over do it) appears to be rather benign unless you have pre-existing disease you don't know about.

8443442.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter