For Those Who Use or Have Used CLA/L-Carnitine

Options
Hi everyone! I am adding CLA and Carnitine to my diet. I am wondering if anyone has used these supplements or does use them. I would generally like to know about how they make you feel (side effects?) and what kind of results they gave you. Thanks in advance

Replies

• VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Use acetyl-l-carnitine instead of l-carnitine...plain l-carnitine isn't absorbed well when taken orally.
  • kristyso
    kristyso Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I never noticed any side effects with the CLA, and I was taking 4-6g/day

I seemed to lose more inches while I took it.
  • missallenxox
    missallenxox Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    thanks so much everyone, seems like there are so many articles on it but havent heard many real life people using. im going to give them a shot
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    CLA is shown not to work. L-Carnitine is negligible.

Save your money.
  • MashaSK
    MashaSK Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I used it, it made nothing to me
  • talamer
    talamer Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I used it, it made nothing to me

I had use it for around 3 weeks during workout! L-Carnitine 1000mg, but I never noticed any different.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    FWIW I work for a supplement company, its my job to sell the idea of supps, but, I won't when they don't work. Seriously, save your cash.
  • Qattusa
    Qattusa Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    FWIW I work for a supplement company, its my job to sell the idea of supps, but, I won't when they don't work. Seriously, save your cash.

Wow, if there is any advice I would listen to, it's the above. Can't say fairer than that.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options

Is there anything you do recommend?
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    A good protein powder and BCAA powder for whilst you train. Fat burners etc are the icing on the dieting cake. They in reality do very little, esp when your diet is not set in place. There is no such thing as a magic pill.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Thanks:) I use BCAA and Fish Oil mainly... Protein powder only if I am disorganised... I'm a 'wide-awake on one coffee' person, so not sure I could deal with a fat burner...

On topic, I had some acetyl-l-carnitine before a crossfit workout the other day and I really felt like I smashed it more than usual... I wonder if it was just the placebo effect.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    Supplements like Omega 3 & 6's are fine to supplement with (I do) and also the likes of Vitamin C and potassium. Far from essential, most people get them in their diets anyway.

BCAA is great however, it keeps protein synthesis going even whilst you are working out (its switched off if the body has to release its own).
  • talamer
    talamer Posts: 516 Member
    Options

Wow, if there is any advice I would listen to, it's the above. Can't say fairer than that.

What a nice advice! thanks for sharing Matt :)
  • persilcolours
    persilcolours Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    What about ALA? Alpha Lipoic Acid?

And Chromium?

I started taking CLA and L-Carnitine yesterday. We'll see if it works...
  • VMarkV
    Options
    A good protein powder and BCAA powder for whilst you train. Fat burners etc are the icing on the dieting cake. They in reality do very little, esp when your diet is not set in place. There is no such thing as a magic pill.
    Bro, bcaas are a total waste of money so long as you eat adequate amounts of protein and if you don't whey protein is much cheaper.

Chromium is a trace mineral and is easy to over-do like all trace minerals...copper, selenium,etc. Chances are you get plenty unless severe malnourishment or alcoholic. Besides, there are much more effective ways to stabilize blood glucose
  • REET420
    REET420 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I took cla and after about a week it started giving me these awful headaches. I didn't notice a difference
  • mlts10
    mlts10 Posts: 32
    Options
    I took CLA for about a month and it made me sick unless I took it after a full meal. I never saw any results.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    Bro, bcaas are a total waste of money so long as you eat adequate amounts of protein and if you don't whey protein is much cheaper.

Chromium is a trace mineral and is easy to over-do like all trace minerals...copper, selenium,etc. Chances are you get plenty unless severe malnourishment or alcoholic. Besides, there are much more effective ways to stabilize blood glucose

So what do you consume whilst working out to stop the body holting protein synthesis as it releases its own BCAA's during heavy exercise?

Do I look like I don't know what I'm talking about? BCAA and general protein have different uses. Of course you will find BCAA in protein as its one of the amino acids used by the body, however BCAA on its own has many useful aspects that protein (which is far slower digesting) does not.
  • VMarkV
    Options
    Water and electrolytes (mostly salt).
    No, but it is just a typical bro-scientist response aimed at getting people to think they need to do all these special thing pre-, intra-, and post workout just to push product. Immediate "recovery" makes no difference, you simply need to eat anytime after vigorous exercise within reason (36+ hours is true catabolism (starvation)).

I just prefer sticking to real science

Sorry to get off topic, but as far as CLA, the studies done did not imply weight loss, but changes in body composition (more muscle/less fat) which doesn't necessarily correlate with weight loss. Tonalin brand CLA was used and if you do try CLA, it should be USP certified as Tonalin brand CLA (Nature Made's stuff is usually USP certified). I am a chemist/pharmacist, I know this stuff