Effects of protein powders

Options
2»

Replies

• Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    You will gain very little muscle if any whilst in deficit. The idea of having a good protein intake is to assist in not losing so much muscle mass whilst losing weight.

Protein shakes are there to supplement your diet not to be a meal, but it is not something that's wrong to do. I've done it, but I'd rather get it from my diet, on work out days I most usually have one post workout that night sometimes, usually as my dessert after dinner as its tasty as with a banana thrown in there for some extra potassium.

Have you noticed any difference when you changed from protein powder to protein from your diet?

Nope this hard to gauge, as I aim for protein from diet but only use the shakes when necessary. Like today if you can see my diary. Ate lots of chicken at lunch got 80grms of protein. After dinner no more protein required. Mind you if I had the calories left I would prob have for dessert lol
  • damnititsme
    damnititsme Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have an issue with protein powders. The body uses natural protein (i.e from food) to use for fuel and cellular repair. The idea is that powders can be used as quick and easy extra. The problem is that to make protein into a powder it is 'denatured' (i.e broken to bits - not like it would be from food) by heating and freeze drying.. Denatured protein is not digestible by the body's enzymes as they are the wrong shape (it's called lock and key theory - the enzyme and protein only work together if the fit is exact). In the same way, a lot of the protein is produced as recombinant protein from bacteria. Bacteria are prokaryotic life forms and do not have the protein modification systems the eukaryotes (which we are) have to make the protein useful for us. So I don't understand how they are actually supposed to work. Also they are expensive especially with something like a gym membership on top. Plus, too much nucleic acid (i.e DNA - makes protein) causes gout.

Don't you cook your food? That also denatures protein. I think you are getting it a little wrapped around your neck. Whey IS natural protein, its from cheese or milk. Most good protein brands also use a cross flow, cold processed, micro filtered whey retrial system that doesn't involve any heat.

HTH.

Cooking your food has been shown to actually increase the amount of protein you absorb from it. It also becomes easier to digest than raw protein. If you buy a good quality protein powder, from a reputable brand that has GMP and can back up their product with true science (not pseudo-science like "I could tell you but I wont"), then the quality of protein is absorbable and is totally usable by the body. We are used to preparing our protein for thousands of years so our bodies have evolved to make enzymes to digest the denatured proteins. As a matter of fact the stomach acid would denature the proteins before even the enzymes got to work.
    Protein powders aren't expensive when you compare them to the equivalent cost of food protein - such as steak.

I think DNA causes gout is a little simplistic. The nucleic acid group purines are broken down into uric acid which could potentially build up in the joints to cause gout, but this should be avoidable if you don't completely over do protein and you drink enough water to keep flushing it through. Our bodies are quite good at dealing with it.

For anyone affected by gout - Cherries and nettles (tea) are very good at breaking up the uric acid crystals, as is apple cider vinegar.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's definitely working for you!!! As a female though, that's not the look I'm after ;) Thanks for sharing your point of view!

My point is, denaturing isn't worth a wet fart in a tornado in terms of thought over it. Whether you are looking to gain muscle or just retain what you have, its worth having a good level of protein running thro you, be it from powders or whole foods.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's definitely working for you!!! As a female though, that's not the look I'm after ;) Thanks for sharing your point of view!

My point is, denaturing isn't worth a wet fart in a tornado in terms of thought over it. Whether you are looking to gain muscle or just retain what you have, its worth having a good level of protein running thro you, be it from powders or whole foods.

People make these statements based on information that whilst technically true, actually bears very little impact on effect, especially when considering that we all cook our food before eating it.

Also - I agree VERY Strongly with what someone posted above - taste test several and pick one you can stick with. I've made the mistake of switching mine out for both more expensive and cheaper powders and every time it's caused me problems when I couldn't stand the taste of it. Drinking 2 litres of something in a day is no fun when it makes you feel sick!
  • leatitiaa
    leatitiaa Posts: 17
    Options

I get your point. It is also related to your beliefs on what is good food for you, some may say that powder isn't food, but others won't see any harm in it as it is concentrated and more efficient than bulk eating eggs and meats. I don't think we'll get a concsensus on that topic on MFP today :)

In general the opinion over her is that it's good to get the protein in. I do think 1 g per 1 lb of lean body is a lot. That would be about 100 g for me per day. But I'll give it a try and report back.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I like Jillian Michaels protein powder. It blends out very creamy and is sweetened with stevia.
  • leopard_barbie
    leopard_barbie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this, I started a similar thread and this one's got loads of useful information!
  • JSheehy1965
    JSheehy1965 Posts: 404
    Options
    I use Nature's Best Isopure Protein powder (Dutch Chocolate) - $75 from GNC but only $42 from Amazon! I've noticed since drinking it after a workout (with crushed ice, some strawberry greek yoghurt and a banana mixed into an AMAZING smoothie), that it keeps me going til lunch but also helps with my muscle strength.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I use Now Foods Pea Protein--about $17 on drugstore.com for 30 servings, 28 g protein per serving. Love it--but I only use it in smoothies, I never would try to mix it with just water or anything.
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Hey. In the end it's just about getting more protein into your diet. You can do that with food ofcourse, but whey is a quick easy way to get a big tasty dose without adding other carbs or fat to your toll. It's also more easily digested and sucked up by your muscles right after a worout. It all depends on your protein goals. Whey powder can help you meet high protein goals required for gaining muscle. It's also a yummy treatlike snack to keep you full between meals. But it's not necessary for moderate fitness goals.
  • leatitiaa
    leatitiaa Posts: 17
    Options
    I use Nature's Best Isopure Protein powder (Dutch Chocolate) - $75 from GNC but only $42 from Amazon! I've noticed since drinking it after a workout (with crushed ice, some strawberry greek yoghurt and a banana mixed into an AMAZING smoothie), that it keeps me going til lunch but also helps with my muscle strength.

Keeps you full and helps you build muscle. Sounds great! Have you upped your protein in general or replaced other sources of protein with the powder?