Replies

• autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • LillysGranny
    LillysGranny Posts: 431
    Options
    Everything I've read suggests that there are a lot of benefits to different forms of restriction--either fasting one day per week or consistently undereating even if you don't need to lose weight. My own thought would be that if you are going to lose a day of nutrition it is the VERY VERY important that what you eat the other six days includes the nutrients your body needs. Hope you'll post with results and thoughts after you give it a try!
  • thegoya
    thegoya Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    bump
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Everything I've read suggests that there are a lot of benefits to different forms of restriction--either fasting one day per week or consistently undereating even if you don't need to lose weight. My own thought would be that if you are going to lose a day of nutrition it is the VERY VERY important that what you eat the other six days includes the nutrients your body needs. Hope you'll post with results and thoughts after you give it a try!

There are studies that suggest that caloric restriction could help prevent Alzheimer's, cancer, diabetes, heart disease. Basically you are increasing your life span. I plan to IF forever.
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    I'm kind of on it right now. It's DEFINITELY not for everyone, but it does work so long as you keep to your caloric deficit. But what do I know though. ;)
  • 1derfuldia
    1derfuldia Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I just started it this week and I love it. It's really helped control my appetite. Also I've been waiting untill later in the day to have my first meal and that's helped a lot too. An early breakfast would just turn on my appetite and it would get ravenous by the middle of the day. So far, it's been good for me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,683 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to, though?

If you are fasting, it tells your body to hold onto your fat because it doesn't know when the next meal is coming. Then you eat again and your body is like "HOLY ****, FOOD!" and then it holds onto that.......plus if you're working out, your body needs FUEL.

I just don't get the idea behind it. Doesn't make any sense to me.
    That's for EXTENDED periods of fasting. Intermittent fasting doesn't work that way.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options

If you are fasting, it tells your body to hold onto your fat because it doesn't know when the next meal is coming. Then you eat again and your body is like "HOLY ****, FOOD!" and then it holds onto that.......plus if you're working out, your body needs FUEL.

no.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

UH, no... Don't listen to any of this. It's completely wrong. ^^
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Give it a try but if if makes you ravenous where you can't control the bingeing, then it won't be for you. Like one other said in here - I intermittently fast when I'm asleep, will have my coffee in the morning, breakfast if I'm hungry (I am surprisingly not too hungry) or I wait for lunch and mmmmm that sandwich tastes so good! :smile:
  • christenwypy
    christenwypy Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I tried it in the beginning. I think it is a viable thing. I do not think it is dangerous if only used 1-2 times per week. For me, I thought it would be great because I am an all or nothing person. I figured I'd eat like I always do every day and one or two days not eat at all and I'd create my deficit that way.

I only did it that first week. I think it was great because it helped me flush out all the toxins and chemicals in my body. All those sugars and such I was addicted to. I was not even hungry during it. Scratch that, I was hungry for a few hours in the beginning but I think it was more of a withdrawl than a true hunger. Eventually I moved past hunger and I found a mental/ spritual benefit to it as well.

Anyway, I started eating healthy, very healthy. And I was working out as hard as I could. My body needed fuel. And everything I was putting in it was GOOD. So I never felt the need to fast again after that first week. Instead I felt the need to eat.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,683 Member
    Options
    for the love of god...just because something makes you lose weight DOES NOT MEAN ITS GOOD FOR YOU, no athlete would ever just deprive themselves of food altogether, if us athletes dont do it then obviously there are better ways of doing things
    Are you speaking in terms of what you think you know or from actual clinically researched information?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    My DOCTOR actually recommended I eat this way.. I would say I follow the Leangains method, 14/10 window . It works great for me.
  • imbanter
    imbanter Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I love going 12-16 hours with out eating. Then I eat a satisfying meal and I'm satiated all night and most of the next day. I exercise while on a fast and I'm sure dropping the fat. My cravings are down. My blood-pressure is WAY down. I feel great! Even when I exercise on the fast, I feel great! Heavy lifting can tire me a tab bit faster. That sure doesn't sound like starvation mode to me!

The human body is designed to function on its energy reserves (fat) when in a fasted state. Its natural and normal!

However, that is general. Some people may have heath issues or are abnormal. To each his own.

I have only been doing it 3 days but so far I feel great. I am only eating from 12 pm to 8 pm and I have not had any problems with feeling hungry. It feels more natural than forcing myself to eat 6 times a day.
  • imbanter
    imbanter Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Give it a try but if if makes you ravenous where you can't control the bingeing, then it won't be for you. Like one other said in here - I intermittently fast when I'm asleep, will have my coffee in the morning, breakfast if I'm hungry (I am surprisingly not too hungry) or I wait for lunch and mmmmm that sandwich tastes so good! :smile:

I have been shocked at how well coffee has suppressed my appetite in the mornings. I 'm only 3 days in but I love it so far.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I love Eat Stop Eat. I'll fast twice a week for 20-24 hours. Your metabolism actually accelerates during 20-24 hour fasts, due to the resets of fasting hormones like leptin, ghrelin, and glucagon.
  • Abbdul
    Abbdul Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    as a Muslims we have to fast for 30days every year anyways, Muslim fast is about 10 to 16hour long
  • Bellydance
    Bellydance Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    DO IT! If it works for you, continue!! That's bottom line. Personally, I love a fast day and should do it more often. It gives your digestive system a break and it's not that hard. A 24 hour fast can last from 7 pm one night to 7pm the next night. It's not going to hurt you, that's for sure. The science is available online for free on fasting. Look up Joel Marion and his buddy John Roman(ella?), or as Roman would say "Roman (first) and then Joel!" And Flavia Del Monte has a great site. They advocate a fast day AND a cheat day. And they give you tips and advice on how to do it. But again, bottom line is, you gotta find what works for you so my advice is try everything and you can't help but find what works!! Good that you are seeking!
  • lolo406
    lolo406 Posts: 71
    Options
    Fasting when done properly can heal all kinds of ailments including obesity. Try it.
  • indrani1947
    indrani1947 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Fasting when done properly can heal all kinds of ailments including obesity. Try it.
    I agree one day a week a 14-16 hour or even 24 hour fast will have all positive results wish I could stick to it I struggle with 12 hour fasts.