do pics of pretty people motitvate u

Options

Replies

• jshaps7
    jshaps7 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I noticed this *a lot* on Pinterest - people post pictures of models and celebrities and say they wish they had their abs or butt or whatever.

Personally, I don't find it motivating. I may think sure, that's great, but I know no matter what I do, I'll never have those exact abs or whatever. So I think in some sense you're setting yourself up for failure (at least if you have that idea stuck in your head).

I'm more motivated by goals and my own progress. Trying to run a 5K, fitting into old jeans, getting compliments from people at work, etc.

All that being said though... if those pictures are what get your butt to the gym and help keep you moving, then do it! I think your expectations have to be realistic though but motivation is motivation and you have to find what works for you :)
  • cspong
    cspong Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I am constantly lurking the Success Stories board and if I happen to come across one that has a similar height and body type to me (and they always look AMAZING after their loss) I bookmark it, because I know they did what I'm doing and that they are real people :)
  • toomuchsweetness
    toomuchsweetness Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    NO, absolutely not. Actually makes me feel the exact opposite
  • gastankerdriver
    Options
    No. I am motivated by a woman who works at a doggie salon down the street. She is the hottest chick I have ever laid eyes on and I kept asking myself, "what would it take to be able to attract a woman like her?" Since I met her, I have lost nearly 25 pounds, and increased my bicep by nearly an inch. I also bought a new wardrobe. Went from a size XL to a Medium. I hardly recognize myself in the mirror. She is my motivation, I can't help but wonder if it is kind of weird, but the thing that matters is that it is working really big time for me and I feel happier and more confident since I have been divorced.
  • snix1024
    snix1024 Posts: 81
    Options
    I like using pictures of athletes, it shows me what a healthy person should look like. I have a long way to go, and looking at a picture of me is right now is not motivational...when I get to where I want to be, then I will have a picture worth looking at. :)
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I much prefer to see pictures of people here, that have had real success!
  • taliasometimes
    taliasometimes Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    yeah i am motivated by success stories people who have acheieved their weightloss is incredible.

pretty people just make me insanley jealous cos you cant change your face :(
  • hmock93
    hmock93 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yes, they inspire me to aspire to look my best.
    And I don't mean celebrities.
    I mean pictures of those gorgeous bodied girls on your Facebook friends list or even women I see at the beach.
    I also have a body shape similar to Jillian Michaels and looking at her helps with motivation at times.
    You don't want to look exactly like someone else, you just want to look as fit and confident as they do!
  • Briski1411
    Briski1411 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    YES!! yes they do because I know that with the same hard work I might compare regardless of my short coming. At least I'd be in the same Ballpark and everyone likes to look good while being healthy. Besides If I didn't dream I might stop trying...............
  • TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    No. I'm trying to be the best ME that I can be. I don't know what my genetics will do and life doesn't come with an autocorrect or photoshop.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    No. I'm trying to be the best ME that I can be. I don't know what my genetics will do and life doesn't come with an autocorrect or photoshop.

AMEN!
  • RMuske
    RMuske Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I think it is both encouraging and discouraging. Feels like a lot of those people must be going to extremes to get the body I admire which I am not willing to do. But it is encouraging that it I might be able to get close in a healthy way.
  • LoViNlIFe0225
    LoViNlIFe0225 Posts: 121
    Options
    Its all about personal preference, but for me I find it discouraging. I'm 5'3" and a bit pear shaped...most likely I will never look like girls in magazines...so I've made my journey as much about confidence and self acceptance as it is about weight loss and fitness. I would encourage people who use this motivation technique to use images of women that are like them in build. I could never use a picture of Heidi Clum as my motiviation because we are complete opposite body types so it could become discouraging because that goal will never be reached. The images I find most encouraging are the ones from highschool when I was 30 lbs heavier than now or the ones from 4-5 years ago when I was extremely lighter than I am now and unhealthy. Seeing what I look like at both extremes helps me stay motivated to be healthy and care for myself. My biggest struggle is my confidence...in fact...there are days that I actually feel physcially ill over the way I look (mind you, this is a self image problem...not how I view others in any way at all), so using images of women that would be considered extremely "hot" or "sexy" can be really hurtful to me because I constantly compare myself to others on a daily basis anyways.

All that being said...I think this journey is all about what tools are useful to YOU! If you find motivation in images of other women...then utilize that tool! :happy:
  • Missi3601
    Missi3601 Posts: 264
    Options
    not at all- What I do is post an old pic of me ( at my highest weight) in my room- that reminds me everyday of what I will never allow myself to go back to :)
  • LoViNlIFe0225
    LoViNlIFe0225 Posts: 121
    Options
    yeah i am motivated by success stories people who have acheieved their weightloss is incredible.

pretty people just make me insanley jealous cos you cant change your face :(

Well I don't know what you would be jealous of because you are seriously gorgeous! :flowerforyou:

Weightloss success stories really motivate me too...just not images of models and other famous folks! :happy:
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    To me it is discouraging. I am never going to look like the people in the magazines and that is ok with me.
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    not at all- What I do is post an old pic of me ( at my highest weight) in my room- that reminds me everyday of what I will never allow myself to go back to :)

That is a good idea!
  • Kenhabes
    Kenhabes Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Define "pretty."
  • Drawberry
    Drawberry Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Honestly I find it degrading to begin with. They post pictures of generic cookie cutter people that are fitting into a single small frame of what is beautiful. They're telling me to strive to look like a thin white woman with blonde hair and blue eyes, they're telling me what is acceptable to look like, and I will never accept anyone telling me this.

People come in all shapes and sizes, and every one of them are beautiful.

I am motivated by the wonderful stories of others who have overcome a life of emotional struggle and gain personal strength. I am motivated by own desires and wants and pushed forward by my achievements. I am not motivated by being told what I should want to look like.
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    So many times I have read articles about clipping out pics of people that you would like to look like. Post them and keep them where you will see them to motitvate you to slow your eating or to watch your life choice. Does anyone here find that to work for them or do they find that to discourage them more? I can't decide if that encouraging or discouraging. It seems a little unrealistic to me.

I never pin or clip pictures of bodies that I want to look like because I find it unrealistic. I can't remember what my body looked like the last time I was 125 pounds because that was 14 years ago and even at that point as teenager I remember thinking I was huge when obviously I wasn't. So to have a picture of a person who is fit or skinny with the goal of looking like them doesn't work for me. I've had a kid, my stomach has stretch marks and I know I'll have some loose skin. The only bodies I look up to are are women on MFP, like me. If I see a woman who lost a remarkable amount of weight but has loose skin left, I think, that's awesome. That's what I can expect and I'm happy with that because anything is better than this!