• aprilgrl27
    aprilgrl27 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Find yourself another doctor. Quick!

this!
  • lynnetted43
    lynnetted43 Posts: 252
    Options
    hey there. sounds like your metabolism needs a good kick in the you know what. its there, its just in hiding. perhaps an extra bout of 20 minutes of cardio in the morning for a jump start? just a suggestion!!
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Have you folks checked Miimii's diary?

Aside from needing a new doctor, you need to stay SOMEWHERE close to your recommended calories.

The "almost never" go over is really "almost never" stay within.

I am not trying to be mean. I am just trying to be accurate.

How can you expect to lose weight with such excesses on an almost daily basis?
  • Spice_4_Life
    Spice_4_Life Posts: 225
    Options
    thanks for your advice. I checked my bmr on fat2fitradio and it says my bmr (just living) is around 1700. How much should I subtract to loose weight. I eat pretty healthy, cook a lot fresh stuff, eat no fast food or ready to eat stuff and I'm a vegetarian. I already asked my docotr why I don't lose weight and she said, everybody is different and probably my metabolism is very slow and not made for loosing weight. Or my psyche doesn't want to lose weight because I need protection. Don't know. It's just really frustrating. But many thanks for your nice words and help. I opend my diary, so probably you see any mistakes there.

i cant believe your doctor told you that!!

are you taking the meds for your thyroid?

sounds like you need some help getting your metabolism jump started. my advice is
    1. eat more. eat at least your BMR for a few weeks or even a month. eat more protein, so since you're veggie go for eggs, avocadoes, nuts, protein powder, greek yogurt.
    2. how are you exercising? if you arent, then start doing more things where you are working with your body weight. if you're a newbie to exercise then you're body is going to work with you at first to build new muscle. muscle will help stimulate your metabolism as well. if you belong to a gym then get a trainer to to show you around the weight room so that you can start strength training

honestly if you have a sluggish metabolism, i think you should focus 1-2 months on getting it kick started and not worrying about weight loss.

you CAN lose weight. dont give up hope!

^^^ I agree. Eating more food now will get your metabolism going. Then you can lower your calorie intake and should be able to start at least walking by then (fingers crossed) :) So you metabolim will be going strong, calories will be down some (like about 400), and with even just walking...your weight should drop. Slowly but safely. Just make sure you eat your calories back once exercising...minus about 400-500 calories depending on if your body telling you it's hungry. A lot of times your body is getting dehydrated and makes you think it hungry. I usually keep a glass of water full, and guzzle it when I feel hungry...if Im still hungry in ten minutes then I eat something. Drink lots and LOTS of water!!! I drink about 18 glasses a day. It seems like a lot, but it's been working for me, and I have dropped a 1lb every four to five days. That's with little exercise because of my back problems. Try to up your fiber and protein. Btw...The eggs thing...I eat one hole egg and two egg whites, so I don't consume too much fat. I hope some of this helps. Good luck on your calorie slashing adventure ;)
  • vegannlg
    vegannlg Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Hi, I took a look at your diary too (thank you for taking the step of putting it out there!). I agree with the advice given so far about really being honest with yourself and staying within a couple of hundred cal. of your daily goal, log everything, etc., but would like to add a couple of comments.
    1. I see a lot of home cooked and well logged items ( went over the last 8 days or so) that's GOOD, but make the "quick add" entry your enemy. It gives you no information about FAT/CARBS/PROTEIN, and so on. You need that.

2. You only eat 2 meals most days. Try to give yourself a little something spread out more often and see what happens. It might help.
  • N8r8r
    N8r8r Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    One issue I realized was that I wasnt even eating enough for my body to function. I would suggest you try fat2fitradio.com and use the bmr calculator to determin how many calories your body needs to just live and function. And then do that for one to two months and see if that helps.

MFP also has one if you go under the "Tools" section.
  • Miiimii
    Miiimii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Hi, thanks for your advice.
  • Miiimii
    Options
    Ok. Having just viewed your diary, I want to amend my previous response.

First of all, you have exceeded your calorie count about 90% of the time, and by exceeding, I mean you are about 600 to a 1000 calories or more OVER your calorie recommendation ALMOST EVERY DAY.

Second, you must have a vague concept of vegan because you are eating salmon, shrimp, various cheeses and several other foods which are absolutely not vegan. Besides that, the cheeses and such you are eating are very rich, dense foods which contain fat.

Personally, I don't care whether you are a vegan or not, I just wonder why you would say you were when you are clearly an omnivore on a daily basis.

My advice for losing weight:

1. Stay within a couple hundred calories of your recommended calorie most if not all days.

2. get at least 15 minutes of exercise each day...something that raises your heart rate a little bit,

3. Make sure you track everything, food and exercise, accurately.

Good luck.

Hi, thanks for your advice. I'm not vegan, I'm vegetarian. I just said, I'm nearly vegan because I don't eat eggs and I'm not a big fan of milk products. But I eat cheese and sometimes fish.

but I disagree, I wasn't 90% of all time over the calorie goal. that's not correct. and as I wrote I normally do sports regularly, but wasn't alloud for the last tweo month because of an infection (and I'm still not allowed). When the infection is over I will go back to my normal training. But I also didn't lose weight, when I did my fitness exercises.

Thanks
    Miiimii
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Youre not losing weight because most days you're eating 600+ over your goal.

Did you think that just logging calories would make you lose weight? Oy veh
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

1. I see a lot of home cooked and well logged items ( went over the last 8 days or so) that's GOOD, but make the "quick add" entry your enemy. It gives you no information about FAT/CARBS/PROTEIN, and so on. You need that.

I noticed this too, after checking glancing at a couple of weeks or so of the food diary. I'm not the cleanest or healthiest eater, but I rarely use Quick Add, for the reasons given. While there is always a margin of error, you want as realistic a picture of your nutrients as you can get.
  • Miiimii
    Options
    Your diary shows that you go over your allowance quite a bit. Is your calorie allowance the recommended one, or your own? What is your current weight, and/or how much do you want to lose?
    Thyroid problems can be a pain, but with the right medication, can be managed, try Kelp tablets, from your health shop. They work for me, and my family.

Hi, yes sometimes I'm a bit over my allowance, but not much and not often (except last weekend). The calories allowance is the one from mfp. My current weight is 65kg (143lbs) and I want to go down to 58kg (127lbs).

I already take medicine for my thyroid, so this should nat be the problem (the doc says).
  • dansls1
    dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I wish the website showed the cool graph of carb / protein / fat ratios like the app - but I'm guessing that you should be eating a bit more consistantly and trying to maintain some reasonable carb / protein / fat ratio. From the days when you do have everything you eat listed that ratio is all over the place - including some very fat heavy days - probably over 50%.
  • LexyLou_5
    LexyLou_5 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem, except i have no medical problems...... :(
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    thanks for your advice. I checked my bmr on fat2fitradio and it says my bmr (just living) is around 1700. How much should I subtract to loose weight.

If 1700 is your BMR you shouldn't subtract any to lose weight because your BMR is what your body needs just to function. Your body also needs calories for day-to-day activities and for digestion (we burn about 10% of our daily calories just digesting the food we eat). If this is true 1200 is about half of what you should be eating. If you entered all your info into MFP correctly it should have already subtracted the calories you need to lose weight so you might want to re-set your profile. I quickly did your calculations based on your 1700 calorie BMR and a sedentary lifestyle (little exercise) and 1930 calories per day would put you at a healthy 1 lb weight loss per week. Hope that helps.

ETA: I just read your weight which would not put you at a 1700 BMR, more like 1400-1500. Roughly 1575 calories per day would give you a 1lb weight loss per week.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    If you are eating tofu, could that interfere with your thyroid? I have heard a lot about tofu acting as a hormone in our bodies, and maybe that could be affecting you. Could you try going a while without it?
  • Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Try to keep your calories between 1200 and 1400 always, never go under that, it can slow down weight loss. Cut back on cheese. Also you might want to go into settings and add sodium on to your food diary goals. You may be too high and that can make you retain water. When you eat carbs try to have at least a tiny bit of protein with it. IF you are too ill to go out and do sports than do some exercise indoors even if it is just jogging in place, or sit ups for a few minutes here and there through out the day. A lil bit is better than nothing.
  • purplep41n
    purplep41n Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I can't see if someone has answered this but if your BMR is 1700 then that is the minimum NET cals you should be eating a day. BMR is what you'd be given in hospital if you were unable to eat, move etc. 1700 cals in the minimum amount of cals that your body needs to do nothing at all except normal body functions.

If you go below your BMR you will struggle in some way. Either you will lose weight but struggle to keep it off or like me your weight will constantly yo yo more up than down.

From the looks of your diary, you may find it easier to stick to a diet consistently above 1700 cals.

Its hard to understand after being told for most of your life that you need to eat 1000 to 1200 cals but if the minimum daily cals for a woman of healthy weight to maintain their weight is 2000 then it makes sense that for someone a lot larger could surely lose weight on 2000?

Depending on their age, size, and activity level, toddlers need about 1,000-1,400 calories a day so why are women advised to eat this amount is beyond me.

Eat for the body you want to maintain.
  • LillysGranny
    LillysGranny Posts: 431
    Options
    I have thyroid problems too, so the weight won't just fall off like I wish it would. A couple of things that help me a lot are getting around 100 grams of protein every day, 35-40 grams of fiber, and I drink 12-16 glasses of water every day. I also include nuts, olive oil, or avacado every day so I'm getting good fats. The other thing I've notice is that in comparing MFP workout calories to what people get on their heart rate monitors--especially for younger, heavier people--the burn is way too high. I have a good friend in your exact situation and when she got a heart rate monitor she discovered that the workouts she'd been getting 1200 calories credit for were only burning around 700. Once she had an accurate record of her burn, she started losing 1-2 pounds per week.

One last thought. I don't know how much you're trying to lose and I don't think we're all made to look like bean poles, but if your bmi says you are obese and your doctor says you might be one of those people who can't lose weight, then I think you need a new doctor. On the other hand, if you're only about 10 pounds over what you want to be, your doc might be right--it may be your ideals that need an adjustment.
  • steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I understand that most of the time you're able to do sports,and that's why you're able to eat that much over your goal cals. However, since you're not working out, your eating habits should have changed. Every once in awhile is fine, but overall, you should be eating less because your body is working less. Hope you are able to find a good balance for your journey
  • dragonsheart84
    Options
    Sodium is the devil I say. I ate too much sodium and gained 4-5 lbs. I have lost it all again tho. Thank God! So saying that, make sure you have your information in correctly. take everything you eat. Just give it time. You said you are trying to fight off an infection. Your body needs to heal from that and you are trying to take nutrients away from it. Make sure that you are getting all your vitamins and such from your food if not take a supplement.