How to lose flabby arms....

Options
Hello! I am walking every day and I have started Couch to 5K. I am looking for advice on what to do with my arms so that they get smaller as the rest of me does. Thank you for your time and answers! :)

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    1) Eat better
    2) Lift heavy
    3) Be patient
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    1) Eat better
    2) Lift heavy
    3) Be patient

^^ this. I lift heavy three times a week and my arms are getting strong and very toned.
  • NICOLED73
    NICOLED73 Posts: 183
    Options
    I do Jillian Michaels kettle bells and 30 Day Shred and my arms are much more toned.
    Good luck. It takes a long time and a lot of patience to get rid of that arm flab!
  • Tdk4685
    Tdk4685 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    push ups, lots of push ups.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce fat unfortunately, but as you lose weight overall it will start to come off your arms. And doing weight training will help to tone up and shape your arm muscles so as the fat comes off you have nice shapely arms!
  • lisastrom
    lisastrom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    As a 49 yr. old woman I worried that my arms would never look good again but w/lots of triceps extensions and biceps curls, etc. and time, I actually can say that I don't have much in the way of "bat wings" any longer. Over time the skin will slowly tighten back up. Be patient.
  • splendifikiss
    splendifikiss Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If you don't want huge muscles, start lifting small then increase weekly. Overhead press, tricep dips, and bicep curls are good.
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy and I use resistance bands at least twice a week now. Love how much control you have to have over your muscles. You can't exactly flop the bands around as I sometimes catch myself doing on free weights. It's easier for me to keep form with bands and make sure I'm taking it nice and slow.
  • MinkyMoo13
    MinkyMoo13 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I agree.. Weights all the way!! if you don't have any or dont go to the gym you can use cans of bottle

google it;

http://www.livestrong.com/article/327806-soup-can-exercises/
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    If you don't want huge muscles, start lifting small then increase weekly. Overhead press, tricep dips, and bicep curls are good.

Generally speaking, as a woman you're not going to get huge bulky muscles just by lifting heavy. We don't have nearly enough testosterone to bulk up that way. I lift heavy (that's me in my avatar) and you can see that I certainly don't have giant man arms, lol
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    You will not get huge muscles, no matter how heavy you lift. Keep with the cardio. Eat well. Lift weights. Wait. You can't spot train, but the arms will shrink with everything else. I wasn't sure mine would improve, but they did.
  • snix1024
    snix1024 Posts: 81
    Options
    Thank you so much for all of the feedback!! :)
  • FitBunnyEm
    FitBunnyEm Posts: 320
    Options
    1) Eat better
    2) Lift heavy
    3) Be patient

^^ this. I lift heavy three times a week and my arms are getting strong and very toned.

how heavy ???
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    1) Eat better
    2) Lift heavy
    3) Be patient

how heavy ???

As heavy as you possibly can, 5-8 reps, 3-5 sets. The last rep of each set should be a struggle.
  • kryscallarman
    kryscallarman Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Depends on the exercise.

My triceps are weaker than my biceps so I am really trying to focus on strengthening my triceps and getting rid of my grandma arms. I usually lift around 10-15 lbs depending on the exercise
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    1) Eat better
    2) Lift heavy
    3) Be patient

how heavy ???
    Depends on the person. Try different weights until you find one where you can do 5 reps with good form, but the sixth or seventh is a killer and you find yourself doing it wrong (leaning, etc). That's your 5 rep starting point. Change the numbers if you do higher reps.
  • FitBunnyEm
    FitBunnyEm Posts: 320
    Options
    1) Eat better
    2) Lift heavy
    3) Be patient

how heavy ???

As heavy as you possibly can, 5-8 reps, 3-5 sets. The last rep of each set should be a struggle.
    brill thanks ive been doing light weights 10 reps about 10 sets i need to up the weight lower the reps or see wot i can do :)
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    1) Eat better
    2) Lift heavy
    3) Be patient

how heavy ???
    Depends on the person. Try different weights until you find one where you can do 5 reps with good form, but the sixth or seventh is a killer and you find yourself doing it wrong (leaning, etc). That's your 5 rep starting point. Change the numbers if you do higher reps.

Are we taking hand weights or bench-pressing?