Is 10 pound weights heavy enough?

Im 5'6 157 pds 34 years old trying to lose 10 pounds and tone with diet and doing the shred with 10 pound weights. Is that heavy enough to make a difference ?

Replies

• mandy9808
    mandy9808 Posts: 19
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    The question is, is it heavy enough for you

Three sets of 8-15 reps should leave you pretty much struggling to complete the last reps in each set imo. I think that's about the right weight. It differs for everyone depending on muscle composition.

If you can sit there and curl 30 times without struggling, your weights are too light.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    If you can do more than 12 reps for any movement then it's not heavy enough.
  • mandy9808
    mandy9808 Posts: 19
    Thanks! Yes than at the moment 10 is heavy enough struggle with my last 2-3 reps.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    10 is too much for me! Some of her moves I can barely handle 3 lbs! I usually try for 5 lbs. I have pathetic upper body strength though. If you can do 10 without crying, go for it!
  • StrongGwen
    StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
    Thanks! Yes than at the moment 10 is heavy enough struggle with my last 2-3 reps.

as soon as it's a bit easier (not necessarily easy) bump it up to 12 lbs. You may be amazed at what you are actually able to lift! Just watch your form--lower weight with good form is much better (and safer) than higher wt if you can't maintain the form. Enjoy the burn!
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,923 Member
    If you can do the Shred with 10 pound weights you are really strong. I can barley do all the moves with 3's. Level 2 V-raises with 3 pound weights leave me crying...

YOU GO!
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    It depends on you.

Do you mean 30 day shred? I can lift 10 lbs or heavier in most / all exercises in 30 day shred, but I can't do 30 DS with 10lb weights, so for me it would be too heavy. When I did it, I used 5s and 3s, because it's fast paced and not focused on lifting heavy. 30DS is circuit training, and it's meant to be everyday, so you aren't lifting to failure. Your weight should be challenging for you, but, really, the resistance in 30 DS does more to increase your heart rate than to totally wear out your muscles.
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 526 Member
    I struggle with anything more than 5lb weights in the shred.....oh, who am I kidding, I struggle with the 5's! LOL

I don't know if I could ever do the V-raises with 10's! WOWZA!!
  • bangersnmash90
    bangersnmash90 Posts: 78 Member
    Oh I hate those V-raises. I use 2kg (think that's around 4lbs) and find them so tough!