Breakfast ?

Options
adrehe
adrehe Posts: 36 Member
I do not like to eat when I get up I usually have to convince myself to eat before two. Just wondering if anyone else has this problem or any solutions. I don't really like breakfast foods either. I know the best thing for my body and metabolism is to eat breakfast but best I usually do is an apple.

Replies

• 1lizette1
    1lizette1 Posts: 14
    Options
    An apple is better than no breakfast at all for sure.
    If you don't like breakfast foods (eggs, protein shake, oatmeal etc) then eat something that might not usually be seen as a breakfast food. Perhaps a salad with a bit of chicken or some yogurt with cut up fruit.
    I read on here yesterday about a woman that never used to eat breakfast (or lunch for that matter) but she forced herself to at least eat something. She said it helped her weightloss so much!
    Good luck :D
  • Legals81
    Legals81 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hi, I feel exactly the same, Im just not a breakfast person, my idea of breakfast is coffee then I'll have an early lunch at 12.30pm when I actually feel hungry. I've started the GI diet (today is day one), high protein/good carbs/good fats and I know I should eat something in the morning so I made a smoothie with pink grapefruit, natural yoghurt and some oats. It was ok!! Not great but ok. Im thinking tomorrow, I will try to eat some protein for breakfast instead, im allergic to eggs so thats out so I guess its gonna be either some nuts or some lean meat or fish. The things we do to loose weight!! Anyway I hope you find something you can manage for breakfast. I know its a struggle.
  • Bikerjewelz
    Bikerjewelz Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I just do a bottle of slimfast optima and a liter of water :)
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Who says you have to eat "breakfast" food? Eat what you enjoy, just keep in mind your macros. Carbs are fine early in the day, protein keeps you full longer. But do eat something, then your body knows it's okay to get to work. :D
  • flobee76
    flobee76 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    no one said you had to have breakfast foods for breakfast! :) A friend of mine doesn't do "breakfast" type foods, instead, she'll have soup or leftover dinner, egg salad, etc.

I for one don't like to have bfast right away. I'll have an iced latte then eat something later.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I know the best thing for my body and metabolism is to eat breakfast but best I usually do is an apple.

This part is actually incorrect.

Provided you don't have any personal issues (how you feel or how you behave including your eating habits later in the day) you can skip breakfast. It does not do anything to boost your metabolism, this is a myth that unfortunately hasn't died yet.
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Eating breakfast to "kick start" your metabolism is a myth, don't feel hungry in the morning, then don't eat.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    Eating breakfast to "kick start" your metabolism is a myth, don't feel hungry in the morning, then don't eat.

Slowpoke.

;)
  • d0gma
    d0gma Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Before I started this, I didn't usually eat in the morning. As a concession, I now have a breakfast bar in the morning.*

*I know they're not healthy. They taste good and are less than 100 calories.
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options

Slowpoke.

;)

LOL, just woke up, still groggy.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Remember, you don't have to eat breakfast foods just becuase Its breakfast time. For example, this morning I had fish, half a sweet potato & egg whites. I usually do not eat when I get up either. Its probably 2-2 1/2 hours after the fact, but by that time my body lets me know its time.
  • viviennemayer
    Options
    I also have trouble with breakfast. My nutritionist showed me what happens when you skip breakfast. Real eye opener. If you skip the first meal you eat stores 80% of your calories as fat and the second meal stores 50%. My plan is 3 carbs, 1 protein. Ex. apple, cheese stick and milk and buttered toast or toast with peanut butter, fruit and milk. Good luck!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    If you're eating good foods, your macros (fats, carbs, proteins) are in balance, and you're eating enough calories to sustain yourself, it honestly doesn't matter what time you eat them. I'm a "needs breakfast, loves to nibble all day" kind of person, and the idea of going without food for that long doesn't sit well with me, because personally Id' be so hungry I'd be completely unable to make rational food choices.

But that's me. You're you. Do what works for you.
  • Dawners98
    Dawners98 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast so I won't scarf everything I see for lunch. M - F I have 2 cups of milk with a carnation instant breakfast. It also curbs my chocolate cravings! Double win! On the weekends, I sleep in til about 10 or 11, so breakfast is lunch, but I usually have eggs. They hold me til dinner. :)
  • BigRedgw2010
    BigRedgw2010 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    You have to eat to burn the fat and to lose the weight. After 7 to 8 hrs of sleeping, I am straving, but I have to wait until I am done with my morning workout. So eat and drop the weight. :-)
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    I also have trouble with breakfast. My nutritionist showed me what happens when you skip breakfast. Real eye opener. If you skip the first meal you eat stores 80% of your calories as fat and the second meal stores 50%.

Your nutritionist is 100% incorrect and I'm saying this to help you, not to belittle your choice in nutritionists.

Please see here for a great set of information and peer reviewed research showing what happens when you skip breakfast.

www.leangains.com
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,222 Member
    Options
    I know the best thing for my body and metabolism is to eat breakfast but best I usually do is an apple.

This part is actually incorrect.

Provided you don't have any personal issues (how you feel or how you behave including your eating habits later in the day) you can skip breakfast. It does not do anything to boost your metabolism, this is a myth that unfortunately hasn't died yet.

^^^^^^^^^^^
    THIS

If skipping traditional breakfast and eating later causes you to binge, then eating breakfast can be a good thing. If it makes no difference to your eating later in the day, and you stay within your calories just fine doing it, there is no reason to eat breakfast in the morning. You can break your overnight fast whenever you feel like it. Many people do this an have no problem losing fat. It is a form of Intermittent fasting where they have a fasting window of 14-20 hours (most do 16) and eat in the other 10-4 hours. It will not hurt your metabolism and eating breakfast will not kick start it.
  • C00lCountry
    C00lCountry Posts: 282
    Options
    I would be more curious as to what time you eat dinner and such.
    Do people that don't like breakfast eat late at night?
    Some people say if you drink some water in morning it help get your digestion going too.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    Some people say if you drink some water in morning it help get your digestion going too.

I eat until I run out of calories, typically the majority of my intake (at least half) is at night.

EDIT: And while I can't speak for everyone who skips breakfast, I believe the majority of them also eat a lot at night because they understand that the consequences of nutrient timing relative to metabolic rate and/or adiposity are irrelevant given a controlled intake.
  • Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options

I was also curious about the dinner time / late night snacking.
    I usually eat dinner around 6 or 6:30 pm and I'm starving when I get up the next morning. No way I could skip breakfast and function properly!