Diabetics - Splenda and Blood Sugar

Options
misscristie
misscristie Posts: 643 Member
Have any of you had Splenda spike your blood sugar? I've started drinking a lot of hot green tea lately and have been putting a couple packets of Splenda in each. My blood sugar is ridiculous!!

Not sure if it's the Splenda or something else going on. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Replies

• maksimsmom
    maksimsmom Posts: 11
    Options
    Maybe try just putting one half packet of splenda instead. or maybe try stevia. hope it helps!
  • ampa916
    ampa916 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Its probably something else, I have never heard of Splenda spiking blood sugar. I drink "southern" sweet tea with splenda almost all the time and I've never had it spike my sugar.

How are your carbs? Also are you eating fruit more now that you are eating healthier, although fruits sugars are healthier than processed it still can spike your sugar.
  • misscristie
    Options
    Very few carbs - 50-75/day. Fruit once a day - 4 strawberries usually. Not sure what the heck is going on, but it's getting on my nerves.

I'm going to get some Truvia at lunch and see if that helps.
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    i use spenda and never have seen it affect spikes in blood sugars.... never. food, stress or sickness does...
    with food one can increase them out of the norm on how you eat..is your protein balanced with what carbs you eat... or is at that time more carbs less fiber etc. everything works together... protein and fiber slows down the sugar going into your blood stream... alter what you eat n when..can up or lower blood sugars. it is getting to know your body n watching what you eat n when..that you will know the why's.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Splenda tablets should be OK, but the packets have some bulker in that is a carbohydrate - http://www.splenda.com/products/packets says "less than 1g of carbs per packet" so that's probably 1.8g of carbs for each cup of tea.

Use http://www.splenda.com/products/minis instead
  • Elif84
    Elif84 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I use Splenda in my green tea almost everyday and never saw an increase in my blood sugar (I'm Type One Diabetic). How long after you drink the green tea do you test?
  • misscristie
    Options
    I am definitely feeling a little stressed right now, so maybe that's it.

This morning I tested about 2 hours after and it was above 200. I eat way more protein (100g+) than carbs (50-75g) per day.

I've decided to try Truvia instead. It will be a nice experiment anyway :) LOL

Thanks all!
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I've never had it spike my glucose numbers. Currently trying to eliminate it from my diet, but not for glucose reasons.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    My BF uses splenda exclusively for a sweetener. It doesn't spike his blood sugar. However, a couple of strong brewed cups of tea will. Tea has some carbs, plus the caffeine (yes, green tea has caffeine) and up goes his sugar! And stress? Does it every time!

Watch out with the Truvia - it has Xylitol in it. I don't know how you respond to sugar alcohols, but I find it gives a rather funky taste to the stevia.
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Diet coke triggers an insulin response for me and spikes my blood sugar. Splenda I limit to one a day, and haven't noticed spiking, but if the aspartame in DC can do it, I would think splenda could too.
  • palak126
    palak126 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Try adding the same amount of splenda in water and testing 2 hours later as a control.
    You can also try tea without any splenda and test 2 hours later as a control.
    Then you'll know which one's the positive and which one's the negative control :)
  • Chippee2
    Options
    For some people as myself it definitely does raise the blood sugar. Splenda would raise my BS 25 points per packet in black tea or coffee, or straight from the packet only within 30 minutes. These tests were done prior to consuming anything else upon waking or an hour after waking. Equal or Stevia would not cause a change given the same parameters.

Do a Google search for maltodextrin and see what pops up, this is what Splenda is partly made of.