those who workout at home

Options

Replies

• ladynica
    ladynica Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I have a bunch of DVDs (P90x, TaeBo, Yoga, Jillian's 30 day shred), I have resistance bands, a coupleof yoga mats and weights up to twelve lbs that I got over time from target and walmart. I also have a rebounder (mini trampoline) that I got online from walmart for about $25 and I bought an elliptical with my income tax refund last year.

There are a bunch of free workouts on youtube. You can search workouts and then refine the search to show videos longer than 20 or 30 minutes. I saved them to a playlist for easy access once I found ones I've likes. So far I've been able to find rebounding workouts, zumba, power yoga, tae bo classes, line dancing workouts, etc... all on youtube. All free. All things you can do in your home with no equipment.

Also, if you don't have weights, you can use canned veggies, bags of sugar or potatoes, anything around the house that is fairly small that you can add to your workout.

Also, search the web for calisthenics exercises (strength exercises where you use your own body weight to workout) like pushups, pullups, lunges, crunches, etc.
  • kritik
    kritik Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I do Leslie Sansone Walking and Strength DVDs. I have 6 or 7 of them, so I have a variety.
    I also do Bob Harper's Kettle Bell Cardio...I LOVE THIS ONE!
    And, I do Jillian Michael's 30 DS and Buns & Thighs.
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I'm also looking for a good DVD that incorporates strength training.

To any of you that use Jillian Micheals 30 day shred:

Does it hurt your knees? I have a terrible knee that I injured back in high school that still gives me a good bit of pain from time to time. I have read reviews that the 30 day shred is very hard on the knees.

I'd like to try it, but I don't want to end up with a bum knee again.

I do zumba on it and it's fine.. running stresses it a little and it aches afterwards.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I have a gym membership but I seldom go because the only time I can really make it in is during peak hours when the gym is super busy and you're always waiting to use any of the equipment. I'm going to be cancelling my membership as soon as the contract is up.

My favorite form of exercise involves using something I can take with me wherever I go--a suspension trainer. I use it at home and at work. I also do jumping rope for cardio. It's all I need, no gym needed. And I'm showing excellent results.

For the record I have lost 117 lbs so far and while good nutrition was the real driving force behind my weight loss, I have to say that jumping rope for cardio combined with suspension training for resistance has been the only form of exercise I've been able to stick with.
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I do, and I love it! I have an elliptical, and I have most of Jillian Michaels' DVDs, some of Bob Harpers, and P90X (which I just started Tuesday)

P90X is expensive, but the others are cheap - under 10 if you order on Amazon, and if you order up to $25, you can have them shipped for free. Weights are cheap at Target or Walmart, especially when first starting out.
  • HeHealsMe
    HeHealsMe Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I walk, walk the dog (starting tonite,)do push-ups, ride stationary bike, clean house (deep clean-move furniture, wash cabinet's, wash walls, clean grout..that kind of stuff)
    Just find stufff to do and set timer! Love it and it doesn't cost me a dime.
    But, when lose 25 more, (a total of 65) I'm celebrating by joining a Gym, so I can learn to lift weight's.
  • mijo32002
    mijo32002 Posts: 42
    Options
    I just cleared out some space and bought a couple of kettlebells and got Steve Cotter's DVD's (Highly recommended, the man's a genius). Now my "gym" is open 24/7, and don't have to wait for some meathead to finish posing and put the weights down. But I also think the key to working out at home is self-motivation. If you go to the gym, you see other people working, which helps you get your work done. At home, the bed and Oreo's are literally right down the hall.
  • for_the_dress
    Options
    I work out at home. I don't know why, but I have terrible anxiety over people seeing me workout. I even freak out if my fiance, mom, or dad see me working out.

I use the treadmill while watching "The Biggest Loser" (SO inspirational), hand weights (3 and 5 pounders for now), an exercise ball, and a yoga mat. Netflix has added a bunch of fitness "movies" to their instant streaming collection. I really like the Pilates routines by Ellen Barrett.

I also dance, dance, dance!! I have Dance Central for the Kinect. It's so much fun- "Rump Shaker" really gets the heart rate up!
  • CoachsWife4
    CoachsWife4 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have multiple Killian (Jillian Michael's) dvds and find that I get less bored if I switch it up. I'm doing Ripped in 30 right now and I like it a LOT more than 30 Day Shred. Plus, i have a couple of her longer dvds like No More Trouble Zones and Killer Buns & Thighs for days when I want a better burn.

Plus, I just ran my first half-marathon last month. I started with C25K last summer and worked my way up. Run around your neighborhood. OR, simply go for a great walk! A good 45 minute, fast paced walk will give you a great burn (especially if you do it following a 30 min Killian workout)!

Good Luck! :flowerforyou:
  • HeHealsMe
    HeHealsMe Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I personally have no experience (Real bad knee's) but my daughter, 27, used it with her injured knee (now well healed)
    W/ brace on, and said it was still too much stress.:ohwell:

But, like I said, no first hand. experience.

Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • Drawberry
    Drawberry Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I am basically doing the same things we where taught in gym class, that I was doing in yoga, and that Boyfriend has taught me from his years in martial arts.

Lately I have been sadly slacking off with what I normally do and suspect a developing ear infection may be to blame for my current lethargy, here's what I do at home:

Biking;Try to get a minimum of 30 minutes
    Walking:Try to get a minimum of 30 minutes
    Sit ups; Reps of 10, minimum of 5 sets total (50 sit ups)
    Side lunges; reps of 10, minimum of 3 sets (30 lunges, 5lb weights)
    Squats;reps of 25, minimum of 5 sets (100 total. Can be done with weights as well)
    Underarm curl: reps of 25 per arm, 5 sets for each arm (100 on each arm, totaling 200 using 10lb weights)

The following weight lifts I am not sure of the name ^^' so I will describe it to you the best I can, each one I do a minimum of 25 with 10lb weights.

'Windmill'; Standing with one weight in each hand, bring your arm up from your side straight up so your fingers are facing the ceiling.Do not bend the elbow, lower arm down and raise the other arm-this counts as 1 rep. Do not count each arm raise as 1, 2, etc.. count 1 rep only when you've lifted BOTH arms up once.

'Airplane';Standing with one weight in each hand with your arms to the sides and your fists turned so your hands are facing out sideways from your body instead of forward, lift your arms up from your side almost like you have two really heavy grocery bags in each hand-so your arms are out in a position that looks like 'airplane' wings. Do this as high as you can, and slowly lower back down-count that as 1 rep. (Lift both arms at the same time)

I am using weights to help make push ups easier to do, as it stands I can only do about 10 before falling on my face :noway:

I have an untreated issue with my ankles where coming down on them while jogging or while doing jumping jacks caused an exorbitant amount of pain, and it feels as if my ankle will snap I cannot perform these activities until I've been checked out by a doctor :/ it's enough pain that two jumping jacks sends me falling to the floor in tears and clutching my ankle. However provided that you don't have any problems that would prevent you from jogging or running or doing jumping jacks I HIGHLY recommend them. You can run in place at home (provided it's not 3am and your on the 2nd floor of an apartment complex..) interchanging from having your knee's forward and having your knee's back in the 'natural' way you would run.

Before exercise I complete a set of stretches, mixing up the order I do them in. Here's a few links to the common ones I do;
    http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/749
    http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/2492
    http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/2488
    http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/477
    http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/486
    http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/476

For an intense cardio work out I recommend the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred that everyone is mentioning, you can find the video for free on youtube and while it may seem short initially it will kick your butt.I need to get back into doing it myself. It was extremely intense.
  • flobee76
    flobee76 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of success working out at home. While we can afford a gym membership, I just don't want to spend the money and have to deal with daycare for my kids (I am a stay-at-home mom and homeschool as well).

I just started exercising consistently in March and it's been so great. I've used Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred and am nearing the end of Ripped in 30.

Up next: Jillian Michaels' Body Revolution.

I really like her DVDs because they are short workouts, but VERY effective. I can't workout too long since I use naptime as workout-time!
  • MissesJai
    MissesJai Posts: 48
    Options
    I have a gym membership, but I've been working out at home doing P90X.
  • scotslass
    scotslass Posts: 317
    Options
    I do all at home too, Jillian Michaels 30 DS or Shred it with Weights, Chalean Extreme is also good but a bit pricey xx
  • SenshiV
    SenshiV Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I'be always had fun exercising with the Wii, I used to exercise with 'My Fitness Coach' (the first one, the second nono); also was very entertained playing Exerbeat!, which is also cool. I have a treadmill, but I try to run, not only walk, is what I do at home.
  • Charloo1990
    Charloo1990 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Currently i can't afford the gym either do to saving for college but i enjoy working out at home now tbf. Im currently doing a mix of the 30 Day Shred with the Clubland DVD which i love cause thats a mix of dancing/aerobics/body combat/toning. I really makes you work up a sweat. I also go running from time to time as well if the weather is nice, nice to change it around now and again to stop me getting bored loll.
  • NICOLED73
    NICOLED73 Posts: 183
    Options
    I belong to a gym but I only use it in the extreme temperatures. Winter/Summer.
    I have been doing Jillian Michaels kettle bells and 30 Day Shred at home. They are awesome.
    While it's nice outside I add additional cardio by jogging around my neighborhood. Way better than the treadmill in the gym that smells like bleach.!
  • fitacct
    fitacct Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I have a stationary recumbent bike, Wii Fit Plus and an aerobic step which have all helped in my weight loss journey. Walking has helped, too, and it's free! ; )
  • enyo123
    enyo123 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I work out at home. I hate the gym; I find it inconvenient to go. Plus, I have a baby that's too young for child minding.

I'm currently doing a hybrid of ChaLEAN Extreme and Turbo Jam, with some Slim Series thrown in. I do ChaLEAN Extreme for the weight training, Turbo Jam for cardio/HIIT, and Slim Series for the Yoga/stretching videos. Well, that, and taking the kids to the park and walking the dogs.
  • TaraMKL
    TaraMKL Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I do! I have a pretty big selection to choose from as I've bulked it up over the last year. Started with 30DS but got SO BORED.
    Now I also have...
    Rockin' Body (SO fun!)
    Turbo Fire
    Brazil Butt Lift
    P90X

Some other ones from years ago. I have a step set from The Firm from like 8 years ago that's pretty good, too.

I'm getting Les Mills' PUMP soon for my June Challenge Group. CAN'T WAIT!!!!