those who workout at home

Options

Replies

• scythswife
    scythswife Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I do the 30DS, the wii fit plus and skipping. I also use my 2year old as weight. lol
    I lay on my back and lift him in the air as many times as a I can. lol he has fun and I get a good arm workout.

love this i use my 20 month old and 3 year old hanging on my legs while lifting them up and down and try doing revers crunches sometimes. they r the best weights
  • jperrysunlover
    jperrysunlover Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    We have a home gym and my best (and least expensive) purchase so far was a set of bands with grips that I use for resistance training. Very economical if you buy them on Amazon.com. I got a $100 set for $30 and you can work every muscle group.
  • sweetpotatofry
    sweetpotatofry Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I work out at home! Like some people have mentioned already, I started with Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred, and that's kept me going pretty consistently since February. This is the longest I've stuck to exercising regularly since high school!

Brief reviews of some of the stuff I do/have done/have tried:

30DS - about a 27-minute workout, including stretches, very doable if you're on a tight schedule like me. It'll suck you in! I saw some results in my tummy area, but I didn't change my eating habits (not horrible to start with) much.

Ripped in 30 - doing this now. More like a 34-minute workout although Jillian will claim it's "only twenty minutes." Twenty minutes my *kitten*! It's definitely tougher than 30DS. I'm only about two weeks into this so can't speak about results just yet.

Insanity - really, really tough for a beginner like me, and it increases my appetite like crazy. A lot of people have gotten great results from this, though. I don't think it's for me, but I do incorporate some of this into my workouts from time to time.

Body-weight exercises like burpees, jumping jacks, body-weight squats, lunges, pushups, etc. You can easily do these while watching TV (jumping jacks during the show, planks during commercials, etc), and they're kind of fun!
  • s0ready
    s0ready Posts: 99
    Options
    TURBO FIRE!!! I LOVE IT....CHALENE REALLY MOTIVATES YOU AND THEY ARE FUN WORKOUTS! WITH GREAT MUSIC!
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    exercise bike and yoga! Cheaper than the gym and I can fit it in when I have time to suit
  • LesleyAnn6
    LesleyAnn6 Posts: 2
    Options
    I do most of my exercising at home - that is something that's free! This AM I used Leslie Sansone's Walk it Off and Tone it Up dvd and walked 2 miles. I try to walk everyday. I live in Maine right now and the weather isn't very conducive to walking outside (rainy and chilly) but when it's not raining, I do walk. This summer I plan on exercising out on our porch with dvds when I don't want to walk to get the variety in. When I'm in Florida, I attend 2 exercise classes a week at our rec hall and a Zumba class once a week. Some of my problem is knowing what the calorie should be for whatever I'm doing, or finding the "right" exercise in the list!
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I'm a stay-at-home, homeschooling mom, so I work out at home. I got some apps for my Android phone to do strength training exercises, by Rittr Labs. They have sit ups (though I do crunches), push ups, squats, and pull ups. I also have a HIIT timer app that I use for jumping rope. The apps were free; I only had to buy the jump rope.

I really prefer the strength training apps over a workout DVD because:

1. You can start at the right level for you. If you're doing the push-ups app, for example, you start out by doing as many push-ups as you can, and then enter that number into the app. Then it creates your workout program.

2. It's progressive. You set a goal -- say, being able to do 100 push-ups in a row -- and the app slowly increases your workout every day until you reach your goal. I haven't tried many workout DVDs, so maybe some of them are able to do this, but the ones I have tried were just doing the same thing over and over every day, which made me feel like I was stagnating.

3. It's adjustable. At the end of your workout, the app asks if it was too easy, just right, or too hard, and adjusts from there.

4. It's self-paced. With a DVD, you're trying to keep up with the person on the DVD. With the app, it says "Do 10 push-ups," and then there's a button to press when you are done, so it's ok if you have to take a breath or stop and start over or whatever.

Plus, well, the apps were free. And they're portable. I like to workout in my bedroom, but I don't have a TV in there (nor do I want one).
  • Carmelos63
    Carmelos63 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I bought a 15lb Kettle bell at target for 18 dollars and I found numerous dvd's and work out videos on line so that's what i do. It's just fine no fancy gym or equipment required.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I mostly work out at home because I don't like group sweating. LOL! My main at-home workout is 60 mins. on the treadmill 5 days a week and on my 2 "days off", I either go to Zumba class or use an exercise video like Shred it With Weights or a yoga/pilates one that uses a stability ball. So,basically, my in-home equipment consists of a treadmill, yoga mat, stability ball, and kettlebells.
  • saturnine15
    saturnine15 Posts: 140
    Options
    I am sorry if someone already said this, but Netflix has a pretty good variety of workouts. Hulu has some too. I found the Crunch series on Netflix and it has given me some noticable results so far. I do Crunch Super Slimdown. I LOVE it.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I'm also doing JM 30-Day Shred. Next I plan on trying Ripped in 30, and possibly Strong Lifts and other programs I've seen discussed here for lifting. I have an elliptical trainer I got for next to nothing on Craigslist. :)
  • Naybelline
    Naybelline Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I was wondering how many people just workout at home? I do as we can not afford to pay for a gym membership or buy any machines at home. For those that do what types of things have worked for you. I have plenty of cardio workouts dvd and wii but am trying to figure out some strength training stuff to do that produces some results.

I'm currently doing Turbofire, love it !!
  • chantabelle
    chantabelle Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I work days and my partner works evenings so I cant go out in the evening as my little one is in bed. I like to use my exercise bike while watching TV, I find if I bike while watching Eastenders I get so engrossed in the programme I get carried away and just pedal on for a good solid 30 minutes. Also use the 10 minute soloutions dvds and the fit in 5 to 20 minutes. I find these are good when I dont have the energy for a big workout but also combined give me a good 50 minute workout.
  • doonesbury
    doonesbury Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I also work out at home. With Wii Fit, some DVDs, and free weights.

I have enjoyed great results!
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a sandbag...the best training item there is..
  • smitty328
    smitty328 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    You can turn anything into a workout. I love to do push ups...in my kitchen, in my bathroom, at work. I use a counter top or something sturdy and do 20 and then continue on. I'll catch another 20 here and there. I find that keeping active doing whetever is better than just sitting around. I too work out at home and I love it!!!! :)
  • JohnnyGrey
    JohnnyGrey Posts: 6
    Options
    Anyone here have any experience with Tiffany Rothe workouts? I just started my diet/exercising, and since I'm tight for cash, I took to YouTube for workout videos. I found some by Tiffany Rothe, and did a few of those last night. I'm definitely feeling it today, but that could be because I'm horribly out of shape.
  • Hollyjd1019
    Hollyjd1019 Posts: 148
    Options
    I workout at home. I find gym memberships too expensive in my area. Plus I work full time and have a four yr old. I would rather be home w him then fit my exercise in when he is doing something on his own.

I mostly used my Wii at first. I bought Your Shape, EA Sports Active 2, & Exerbeat. I ended up rotating daily w EA & Exerbeat. I really like the Your Shape too but had to pick 2. I will prob use it again at some point. I like variety. I found that I really love boxing/kickboxing type exercising a lot for using Exerbeat. The EA Sports Active incorporates exercise bands or you can use hand weights. I love using weights.

I then wanted to change it up and use more weights so I pulled out one of my old DVDs. Cindy Crawfords Next Challenge. It has a good lower body/cardio for the first half then upper body/abs 2nd half. You will feel this one the next day. I love the arm and chest exercises in this DVD and sometimes will just do those sections after getting cardio somewhere else.

Recently I wanted to do something a little more challenging but not add a lot more time. I just don't have a lot of time during the week. I ordered Jillian Michaels DVDs on amazon. One bc I heard she was tough and got results and 2 bc they were on sale for $7.99 one day. :). I got Kickboxing Fast Fix which is great at getting your heart rate up there and is fun & fast. I also got Shred It w Weights which incorporates a kettlebell. I LOVE this one. It is very diff from anything I've ever done. And Im feeling it today in places I haven't felt it before! I also got No More Trouble Zones but I haven't tried it yet.

I say rent some exercise DVDs or Wii exercise games that interest you. Or look on amazon, sometimes they have awesome deals and they also have used. Or try a resale store. If I'm buying something on amazon I like to read the customer reviews. Sometimes that gives you an idea of what is on the DVD or game before you buy.

Good luck!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I've been working out at home for a few months now. I have a teeny apt and no room for workout equipment..I have a resistance band, a yoga mat, a pair of 5 lb dumbbells and a pair of of 8 lb dumbbells.

I like Jillian's DVDs, but I actually prefer Bob Harper (the "other" Biggest Loser trainer lol) a bit. It may be just because I don't like planks, but also because Jillian tends have programs and you end up doing the same thing every day for a month or two, and I have ADD and am irritable and, well, so there :tongue:

I like Bob's workouts more because they're longer, and more varied and I think tougher overall. One note is that some are so tough I think if you don't modify, you'll hurt yourself, so don't let him pressure you into going too fast. But with that in mind, I have seen strong improvement from using just a few of his vids. Also they are priced pretty well.

Here's a link where you can preview some: http://www.collagevideo.com/exercise-videos/bob-harper-exercise-videos-161&pp=10

Totally Ripped Core is my favorite...it's really tough to get through but wow the difference in my core strength after each time is actually noticeable. I also really like the Pure Burn Super Strength (but see my note above about modifying) but the Beginner's Weight Loss Transformation is a 'lighter' version that has cardio and weights for a good mix. I also have done Yoga For The Warrior a few times, and I do like it but some of the poses are pretty stressful!!

Anyway, I'd recommend any of Bob's videos based on the ones that I use.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    My home setup is not really cheaper than a gym, but I like doing it at home a lot better. My equipment is a power rack, olympic barbell, steel plates, bumper plates, bench, powerblock adjustable dumbbells, and a treadmill. Love my home gym.