All those who are under 160lbs

Options

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I clicked on this because I'm under 160 pounds. But then I see that you're looking for people who are 160-170. So never mind, I guess.
  • shelbynicole32
    shelbynicole32 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I am 5'7" and weigh 150. I started out weighing around 170-175. I recently upped my calories to 1300-1400 because I finally plateaued at 1200 and it did WONDERS for me... I was working out constantly but have cut back a lot because I have been so busy and every time I work out my knee begins to hurt so I dropped back down to 1200 to switch things up for my body.

I am content with my weight, of course I would like to be 135 but I dont thinking that it is realistic, so I am more focused on toning myself up and looking better with the weight that I am.
  • cainie19
    cainie19 Posts: 126
    Options
    Hey:-) I'm 5 ft 4 and currently 155 my highest weight was 170 :noway: Feel free to add me y'all :-)
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Well, you sound a lot like me...I'm 5'7, 165, 27% bf...so I have about 120 lbs of lean mass.

I wear a 10/12.

I have been this weight size for many, many years now. (I graduated high school at 165, but I would like to know my bf% then).

I would *love* to be around 155, 22% BF.

I am one of those people that no one ever guesses their weight correctly. Most people think I weigh 145.

You might want to join the group "Eat More Weigh Less". There are two amazing moderators to that group that have great information!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3834-eat-more-to-weigh-less
    We sound identical. Im 5'7. Currently stuck at 167. I appear thinner which is a good thing but I am aiming for 155. I weighed 150-155 throughout my 20's - early 30's. I have an athletic build so anything lower would not look good on me.
  • blueraidermike
    Options
    1200 calories is too low...my suggestion is to up your exercise and follow the net calories on this site. So get to where you are burning an extra 400-600 calories a day during exercise. The goal would be to get to one hour a day, six days a week. So if you doing about 30-40 minutes, add 5 more minutes each week to you get to 60. This extra burn could be the difference. Once you get to your goal weight then you can back off a bit on the exercise.

As a guy, to lose one pound per week, my net calories is around 1500, I cannot exist on this - so I choose to work out so I can eat a bit more.
  • jolarocknrolla
    jolarocknrolla Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and around 155 (153-157 depending on the day, hour, phase of the moon, whatever) at 37 years old. I'm also one of those EVIL creatures that eats around 1,100-1,200 cal a day (occasionally more if i get hungry, about 1,350 or so). My exercise is either lifting moderate weights (10-pound dumbells) in the morning or doing 30-day shred or a kickboxing video in the morning and walking at least 45 minutes at a brisk pace after work, usually more and a lot more on weekends. I'm somewhere between a size 10-12 depending on god knows what. i'm also insulin-resistant so that has something to do with the way i eat and the way i lose weight.

My goal is around 140 and i'm trying to up my free-weights and incorporating jogging into my weekly routine. My weightloss has stalled a bit but i'm still noticing changes in how my clothes fot (positive changes! yay!) so i'm going to keep doing what i'm doing. I know from past experience though that if i want my strength to improve i'll have to start adding some cals and protien to my daily intake so i'm considering some protein powder. If it matters to you i think adding cals was a good decision for you, but i'd also add in some intensity to your workouts if you feel that you can.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Story of my life!!! I'm in the mid 170's with a goal of about 155-160. I allow myself to eat 2,100 calories a day (regardless of exercise - but I run 4-5 days a week and lift twice a week) and ensure that I never net less than 1,500 (my BMR). Like you, I haven't yet given it a ton of time, but I like the way I'm feeling and the energy I have. I agree though, 1,200 is too freaking low.
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    bump
  • higgins1988
    higgins1988 Posts: 38
    Options
    Hi!

I'm 5ft8 and currently around 151lbs, but looking to get down to 140lb as my first goal weight.

I don't know about the rest of you but I find it incredibly difficult to shift this weight!!! At the moment i'm consuming 1200 (or less) calories a day and doing a combination of cardio and strength 4 times a week.

Not much weight loss recently but with the excercise my clothes are fitting slightly better which is a start!

I have just joined MFP after a while of not using it so anyone with similar goals please add me!

:)
  • jjelizalde
    jjelizalde Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" 147 pounds down from 153. I've upped my calories to 1500 (from 1200 - I wasn't losing) and eat back my calories. I'm losing a pound a week now.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" about 163-4. Started at 185 and my goal is about 120-30 so I've still got a lot of work to do.

I just do what works for me and ignore all of the fads, there are different schools of thought for just about everything weight loss related, find what works for you and do that.

I aim to net about 1200, but sometimes I go over and sometimes I come under. Eating at my BMR doesn't really make any sense to me and I'm not going to stress over it because I don't know my bmr and an online calculation isn't guaranteed to be correct. And honestly, if you're losing weight, your body's overall calorie net is always negative, that's just how a deficit works!

Feel free to add me if you're looking for new friends!
  • suzikay12
    suzikay12 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and currently 170. I eat 1500-1700 calories a day M-F, weekends probably at least 2000. I usually burn about 400 calories a day on exercise. This has worked for me over the past couple months. I lose 1-1.5lbs per week.

I think my plan falls somewhere in between the eat more to lose people and the eat less to lose people. The back and forth battle on this website just confused me, so I made my own decision.
  • btretiak
    btretiak Posts: 23
    Options
    OK...as someone who didn't understand this for a long time:

Your TDEE has ALREADY taken into account the exercise level you gave it. So, if you are exercising as much as you say you are, DO NOT EAT YOUR CALORIES BACK. People who are looking at net cals are just plain incorrect and most of them aren't losing weight. If you eat your calories back you are literally eating them twice. If your TDEE is 2000 (assuming you put in some level of activity other than sedentary), you eat 2000 cal/day. That's your goal. Period.

The only time you should ever eat back your calories is if your net cals after exercise fall below your BMR (what your body needs to literally perform it's life functions). Anyone who continuiously eats below their BMR will definitely lose weight, as their body is cannibalizing its own tissues and compromising its organ function in order to simply live.

Hope this helps.
  • honeysprinkles
    Options
    OK...as someone who didn't understand this for a long time:

Your TDEE has ALREADY taken into account the exercise level you gave it. So, if you are exercising as much as you say you are, DO NOT EAT YOUR CALORIES BACK. People who are looking at net cals are just plain incorrect and most of them aren't losing weight. If you eat your calories back you are literally eating them twice. If your TDEE is 2000 (assuming you put in some level of activity other than sedentary), you eat 2000 cal/day. That's your goal. Period.

The only time you should ever eat back your calories is if your net cals after exercise fall below your BMR (what your body needs to literally perform it's life functions). Anyone who continuiously eats below their BMR will definitely lose weight, as their body is cannibalizing its own tissues and compromising its organ function in order to simply live.

Hope this helps.
    That's only true if you consider your exercise as part of your daily activity. I base my daily activity level on what I do in a day besides exercising so that's why I add those calories back when I do workout.

Especially because TDEE is an estimate, from a website. At least when I add in my exercise from my heart rate monitor it's more custom to me (not totally accurate, but better).
  • honeysprinkles
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and currently 170. I eat 1500-1700 calories a day M-F, weekends probably at least 2000. I usually burn about 400 calories a day on exercise. This has worked for me over the past couple months. I lose 1-1.5lbs per week.

I think my plan falls somewhere in between the eat more to lose people and the eat less to lose people. The back and forth battle on this website just confused me, so I made my own decision.
    I hate the name of the "eat more, lose more" idea. I ate more and gained more before coming on here...not eating isn't my problem! lol.
  • kmumansky
    kmumansky Posts: 119
    Options
    I didn't read all of the responses, just thought I'd tell you about myself.

I'm 5'1.5'' and 139 lbs. My Grandmother always told me with my small frame a woman should be 100 lbs at 5 feet and then 5 lbs for every inch. For most my life I've kinda gone between 110 & 125 lbs. In highschool I was 103-110. Obviously I've gained weight these past 4 years and now I'm 139 trying to get back down to 120 (and more if I find that it's going well). I do the 1200 calorie thing. Anytime I've ever tried to lose weight 1200 seems to be the key # for me the aim for. I eat back some of my excercise calories, but not all (incase my heart rate monitor is off). Obviously some days are better than others and if I eat 1300 or 1400 calories I still loose a little weight but 1200 calories will get me the healthy loss of 1-1.5 lbs a week.

It's going to be different for everyone. Most people think I'm crazy when I tell them I eat around 1200 calories a day. They think I'm starving myself. But through Trial and error I've found that's what works for me. 1200 to loose weight 1500 to maintain. Some people think that I'm crazy that I think 139 is too heavy for me because I'm a size 6. But I am technically over weight, and I am more comfortable in a size 2. It's different for everyone.
  • naomisimpson247
    Options
    Well, I would say yes. You should at LEAST eat your BMR. Google TDEE and you can easily find a TDEE calculator - here is one I use..

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

Once you know your TDEE you should eat say between 500 - 800 cals less. So more than your BMR less than your TDEE, making sure you at least NET your BMR after exercise. I really don't think we should ever go below our BMR. That seems to be reflected in all the responses I have recieved today.

But - what works for one does not always work for the other. I don't lose much or very quickly on 1,200. I know that much.

Good luck and I guess when you find something that works for you, stick to it. If you plateau - i.e stop losing, up your calories. :noway:
  • naomisimpson247
    Options
    Ahhh sodium...i.e. salt? Interesting. I'm the girl who will go for salted popcorn over sugar popcorn as, really how many calories are in salt. I've never looked to be honest, but maybe thats where I'm going wrong. Don't get me wrong I'm not a salt junkie, but I see salt as something that affects blood pressure, not weight, and as my blood pressure is OK, I don't really focus on my salt intake the way I would with carbs of fat.

Thanks for that advice :)
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and 162, so really really close to being under 160 :smile:

I was eating 1200 for a while, but I was hungry and miserable, so I upped it to 1500. Since I rarely burn more than 200 calories a day in exercise (lifting and c25k) and I don't have a HRM, I don't eat my exercise calories back, but when I start exercising more, I will.

Anyone else find that their weight loss doesn't come consistently? Like, I can go 2 weeks without losing and then lose 3 pounds the next week. I'm not complaining, but it sure makes this unpredictable.
  • naomisimpson247
    Options
    I'm 140 just now, and was on 1200 but I've been below that all this week and haven't eaten back my exercise calories.
    Just calculated my BMR and it's 1450!

I'm confused now...I wouldn't say I've been hungry but should I be eating more?

Well, I would say yes. You should at LEAST eat your BMR. Google TDEE and you can easily find a TDEE calculator - here is one I use..

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

Once you know your TDEE you should eat say between 500 - 800 cals less. So more than your BMR less than your TDEE, making sure you at least NET your BMR after exercise. I really don't think we should ever go below our BMR. That seems to be reflected in all the responses I have recieved today.

But - what works for one does not always work for the other. I don't lose much or very quickly on 1,200. I know that much.

Good luck and I guess when you find something that works for you, stick to it. If you plateau - i.e stop losing, up your calories.