When to log exercise calories?

Options
I keep my calorie setting low (1200) so when I exercise I can log it and eat my exercise calories back. I am comfortable logging my calories when I exercise which is usually 5 times a week for an hour (running etc). What I want to know is at what point do you think I should start logging as exercise rather than just general day to day activities? If I walk 5 minutes to my corner shop should I bother? I work in an office so should I work out the time spend I walking to and from the printer etc? Any help would be appreciated!

Replies

• mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I only log exercise as extra planned activity.

Walking to and from work, the store, walking at work should be calculated into your activity level which is what your base calorie goal is set at.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Do what motivates you more.

I find that setting my lifestyle to sedentary and logging longer walks makes me more motivated to make the walks more vigorous (I'm earning calories). Mathematically, it works out about the same either way. Psychologically, it puts a little extra zing in my step because it's purposeful walking.

The whole point is to try and figure out, as honestly as possible, how many calories you are burning and how many you are eating, and set up a deficit between the two to lose weight. There are many "correct" ways to do that, and different people are motivated (or not) by different ways of thinking about it.

As long as you aren't completely making up burned calories as an excuse to overeat, it's all good. If you are, you're only hurting your own weight loss.
  • emmalou2206
    emmalou2206 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I agree with Mallory3411 on that one.

I only record planned exercise eg going for a walk, going on my elliptical trainer, doing step aerobics on the Wii Fit
  • ariant23
    ariant23 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    ditto to the first two posters. however it works best for you. i would just warn against pre-logging (assuming you would then eat before). you might not get to the exercise. i know some nights i cant because my kids go all wonky on me. not often, but it does happen.
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Exactly what Mallory said.
  • jenbo100
    jenbo100 Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks guys, I'll only log my planned exercise. Anything else I do is either accounted for in my lifestyle calories or a bonus that isn't counted!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I keep my calorie setting low (1200) so when I exercise I can log it and eat my exercise calories back. I am comfortable logging my calories when I exercise which is usually 5 times a week for an hour (running etc). What I want to know is at what point do you think I should start logging as exercise rather than just general day to day activities? If I walk 5 minutes to my corner shop should I bother? I work in an office so should I work out the time spend I walking to and from the printer etc? Any help would be appreciated!

Personally, I would only log the actual exercise you set out to do specifically as training sessions. If you start to log every little walk etc you will end up going way over your daily allowance. Those other little walks you mention, they are just part of your day to day living.