How often to do the 30 day shred for begginers??

Options
Selah37
Selah37 Posts: 32 Member
I know the 30 day shred is designed to start on day 1 and do it for 30 consecutive days but one of my friends is a trainer and is concerned that I need to give my muscles a break so I don't get an injury. I'm looking for suggestions, maybe from people who have done it. Everyone I know who has done it rotates days with other work outs like yoga. What do you do?

Replies

• butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I'm doing two days shred, one day cardio and repeat.
  • jpinge
    jpinge Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I did it 6 days rested the 7th . Then continued where I left off
  • Reana27
    Reana27 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I alternate one day shred and one day cardio (like walking or jogging). 30 days consecutively seemed a little much to me, especially since I have been pretty sedentary for quite some time. It seems to be working well.
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    30DS was the first thing I did when starting MFP, I did it 30 days straight. It's only 20 minutes and the weights are light. You can modify each move if you need to!
  • subtractionproject
    subtractionproject Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I did the whole thing in about 34 days - I did the first two levels without a break, but allowed myself a few rest days during level 3. It's really a matter of personal preference - how much you can manage and what's comfortable for you. If you feel you need a day's break, it won't make any difference to your progress.
  • jenniferdances1
    jenniferdances1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I did Monday through Friday for 2 weeks (10 days) on each level and took Saturday and Sunday off.
  • xraylady33
    xraylady33 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Trainer told me never do workouts back to back unless its cardio. He also says never use a machine, your body is all you need. EVRYONE has their own idea...

I do two days a week, then cardio two days...I always take two days off.
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. If you are too sore to do the same moves, take a day off and try a long walk instead. Keep moving though because the movement will help loosen you up. I do this, and the days I miss of the 30DS, I don't count, so I started on April 29th, but I am only on day 10 of the 30DS. Some days I feel tired from the workout the day before, but I push through it as best I can because my body needs the change. I too have led a very seditary lifestyle and I need to change, and because I want to change quickly, I push myself. Get plenty of sleep and drink lots of water!
  • kmuree
    kmuree Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm a beginner and I'm doing the 30DS without any breaks. It's day three and I already feel worlds better where my muscles are concerned. :smile:
  • rbrannock
    rbrannock Posts: 169
    Options
    I just posted a topic asking about the same question before I saw this one. I have been running on the treamill at least 6 days a week since January (although I've been a little slack lately) but I just bought 30 DS today and want to start in on Monday, but I wasn't sure if I should do that consecutively (maybe a 1 day break) for 30 days (or until done) or if I could do a few days of shred, then do my treadmill for a day or 2. I don't want to stop running completely for 30 days, but I want the best results I can get from 30 DS as well. Any thoughts?
  • rbrannock
    rbrannock Posts: 169
    Options
    BUMP!
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere on MFP that Jillian didn't intend for people to do 30 straight days. That she advises 2 days on, 1 day cardio, 2 days on, 1 day cardio, 1 day rest -- then start the cycle over.
  • sonniedee
    sonniedee Posts: 26
    Options
    When I did it, it took me 59 days to get through the 30 days. I would do it 4-5 days a week depending on my children's sports schedules and my motivation. I did 10 days at each level and lost 19 pounds at the end of the 59 days. Listen to your body and do what you can when you can!
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    On the DVD I think Jillian says to take a day of rest. So far I've done 30 DS in 40 days and currently doing Ripped In 30 in about 50 days....I'm also training for a half-marathon so don't do it on the days I have my training runs.
  • susanna060408
    susanna060408 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    It took me from 3/22-4/30 to complete. I tried to do it 5-6 days per week. I think as long as you do each level for 10 days and get it done in about a month and a half you are good. I lost 11" and 8.5 lbs. Good luck - it's a great workout!
  • Grissay
    Grissay Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    In one of her videos, she says "it's not a 30 day shred if you don't do it in 30 days." Hah
    I agree with what someone said.. it's only 20 minutes and you can modify. Your body will have those 24 hours to recover from the 20 minutes.
  • Annie_Fannie
    Options
    When I did it, it took me 59 days to get through the 30 days. I would do it 4-5 days a week depending on my children's sports schedules and my motivation. I did 10 days at each level and lost 19 pounds at the end of the 59 days. Listen to your body and do what you can when you can!

This sounds like much more realistic/acheivable goal and thank you so much for sharing your stats. Way to go! I just started this program two days ago, and yes, it is only 20 minutes, but life throws curves at us (kids!) and I was conerned my efforts would be pointless if I couldn't stick to this EVERY Day for 30 days. Feel better after reading here!
  • JGT2004
    JGT2004 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I've heard Jillian has said on a podcast that it was never meant to be 30 days straight. She suggested you do 2 days of 30ds and then rest a day and repeat. She said to do 10 days at each level, so it ends up taking longer than a 30 day period to finish but its still 30 days of exercising! I think it is all how you want to interpret it.
  • Ed_81
    Ed_81 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've just completed L2D4, I've been hitting it every day and feel miles better for it. I intend to do it in the 30 days and then move on to RI30
  • chroniclesofadime
    Options
    I'm pretty sure you can still do the 30DS in 30 days. 6 days on, one day off. Pick which day you are "off". I'm currently doing Ripped in 30, but I'm only doing it 4 days a week.

I do it Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri, plus either 30 minutes of yoga or 30 minutes of kickboxing, plus ~15 minutes of abs.

Saturdays I do an hour of kickboxing plus 15 minutes of abs, and Sundays I do 65 minutes of weight training and 15 minutes of abs.

My "off" day is on Wednesdays.

I'm about to be on Day 4 of Week 2 and will begin Week 3 on the 14th, and Week 4 on the 21st.