What's the point?

Options
What is the point in all this hard work? Ive always been a fairly insecure person and part of my motivation to lose weight was to gain more confidence in myself, to look sexier for my husband, who until today has been extremely supportive.
Today he decides to say he thinks im having an affair !!!! NO WAY :noway:
He says im acting differently :frown:
I believe he has become insecure and jealous himself....he hasnt ever shown a jealous bone in his body the whole time ive known him !!! But now, it seems he is. I cant do right for doing wrong..i dont see the point in carrying on with this diet or 'way of life' :cry:

Replies

• lucy2213
    lucy2213 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    That is exactly what it is! He sees that you look better and he is jealous! He feels like if you look better there is a big chance another man can find you attractive. Do this transformation for you! Love yourself and keep moving forward don't go back! Try to do more things with him like work out together or go for walks together. Sometimes our better halves feel left out and need a little more attention. :wink:
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Are you acting differently?
  • traceyjayne64
    traceyjayne64 Posts: 262
    Options
    The only difference in my actions is that im buying sexier clothes to wear for him (in the house if you know what i mean) and im happier...he has said himself im smiling all the time.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Sounds like he's jealous/insecure. It sounds like there are some trust issues if he noticed you're 'acting differently' and automatically assumes it's an affair.

If my husband was acting differently I'd just be upfront and ask him about it rather than assume he was being shady.

You're getting healthy for YOURSELF, so that should be the most important thing.
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    People can change in all sorts of ways when they lose weight. Usually for the better, and it sounds that way in your case. Take a deep breath and be confident that if he values your relationship he will come to understand the new (happier, sexier) you.

Oh and the point is to be healthy! :bigsmile: FOR YOU. Everything else should be secondary.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    It can be scary if your SO starts acting different. It's on you to be reassuring, so some extra love, and make sure he understands that you are not doing this just to lose weight, but there are health reasons. Also, let him know that it makes you feel good to, and you feel a little sexier in your body, and when you are with him.

When I was married, my wife at the time, went through where she started looking really good. I didn't show any jealousy, but I was feeling it. She was great and just talked me through it and all that. It did help. She was extra attentive to me during that time, which helped a lot.

Turn the tables, and you might feel the same way.
  • delikium
    delikium Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Well you have found a way to become happy.
    And he hasn't.
    Now he feel uncomfortable and the only way to express that is through negativity?
    Just a wild guess.
  • SWEETS1234
    SWEETS1234 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    You are probably are acting different, like you said happier, smiling more, which of course makes sense. I'd just reassure him and remind him that he's the only man benefiting from the new you.

fyi my husbands co-workers teased him that I was on the divorce diet, that I had slimmed up and therefore was on my way out. A little reassures is okay.

cheers
  • traceyjayne64
    Options
    I adore my husband, to me he is the sexiest man ever. He has always made me feel like the sexiest woman alive, whatever my weight, and at times ive been big.
    But this time, me losing weight is having the wrong affect, im more confident which he seems to love (in the bedroom) but day to day, me out and about he doesnt.....other than stay indoors, what do i do ? :frown:
    Stay in, get fat again and im unhappy but hes happy? Or carry on with my weight loss, feel happier and more confident and possibly lose my husband?
  • Nekhet
    Nekhet Posts: 380
    Options
    He just might need some reassurance that you are happier losing the weight and it is for YOU and not for someone else. He needs to accept that the weight loss is something you are doing for your health and you feel healthier but still love and want him...he may just need to know that. If he is still upset afterwards then he is the one with the problem and need to deal with it...men can be just as insecure about things as women...we just internalize them more which isn't always good. Make sure he knows that he is still your king and should just enjoy the new you.
  • traceyjayne64
    Options
    He is most definitely my King, i have told him time and time again...if you read my profile you will see i married him twice, 15 yrs apart, cos i never got over the man.
    My weight loss partly was to help our relationship, for me to become more confident with him.
  • tlinval
    tlinval Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    So you'd rather be unhappy and unhealthy?? Of course not! The point is to be healthy, not to get into someone else's pants!! You need to tell him that.

He needs to put his big boy pants on and grow up.
  • StarkLark
    Options
    He just might need some reassurance that you are happier losing the weight and it is for YOU and not for someone else. He needs to accept that the weight loss is something you are doing for your health and you feel healthier but still love and want him...he may just need to know that. If he is still upset afterwards then he is the one with the problem and need to deal with it...men can be just as insecure about things as women...we just internalize them more which isn't always good. Make sure he knows that he is still your king and should just enjoy the new you.

Good call. Make sure you emphasize that you are getting healthy so you can live a long life together and to make him happier as well. NOT so you can upgrade in the husband department. :tongue: You might even need to say it a few times, it can take a while for us guys to get the message :wink:
  • traceyjayne64
    Options
    It was supposed to be a good day, its my mums 70th birthday, and its been the day from hell, worrying about whats gonna happen :cry:
  • jasper186
    jasper186 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Just curious, is your husband overweight?
  • StarkLark
    Options
    What's going to happen is you're going to continue to improve your health, look great, and be honest with your husband (as it sounds you have been). The rest is ultimately out of your control.

I'd say if the relationship falters because of your desire to be healthy and happy then you're better off without it in the long run. As another poster said - the best choice for you is happy and healthy, regardless anything else.

From what you've written though, I think your husband will come around eventually. :smile: Relax and give him some time to work through it.
  • kmuree
    kmuree Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm actually worried about this myself. My boyfriend is overweight and hasn't even batted an eye to my exercising. He's being very supportive but he's very insecure (he often talks about how I'm too good for him). He has no interest in doing it himself at this time.

I worry it will come to the same point in our relationship, but if it does, we'll deal with it. I'll reassure him until the cows come home. :laugh: I'm not going to stop doing what I need to do to be happier with myself and neither should you!
  • emmy3111
    emmy3111 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Good for you for losing weight and making yourself happier and healthier! Please keep going, and keep in mind this is for you, not him!

I started writing earlier, and then deleted it....

When I found out my ex was cheating on me and kicked him out, he accused me of having an affair myself (never!!!). It was his way of taking the focus off his wrong-doing, by blaming me and saying I had alterior motives....

I in no way want to add insult to injury, but are you absolutely positive that in the last while that you've been focusing on getting healthy, that he hasn't been using that time to find other interests? Totally a shot in the dark, as I don't know you at all, but from my own experience, sometimes people will make accusations because they are feeling guilty about their own actions.

I really hope that I am wrong, but it might be something to look at.
  • staciw
    staciw Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    sounds like you need to sit down when he gets home from work and have a real heart to heart on the couch. Hopefully some reassurance on both sides will help everyone feel better - he's confused, you're hurt. Take that man by the hands, look him square in the eye and tell him what he needs (and deserves to hear) - that he still and always will be the one to rock your world. Tell him what you told us - that he's your king, how much you love him. Give him time - he'll see that you're being true.
  • traceyjayne64
    Options
    Good for you for losing weight and making yourself happier and healthier! Please keep going, and keep in mind this is for you, not him!

I started writing earlier, and then deleted it....

When I found out my ex was cheating on me and kicked him out, he accused me of having an affair myself (never!!!). It was his way of taking the focus off his wrong-doing, by blaming me and saying I had alterior motives....

I in no way want to add insult to injury, but are you absolutely positive that in the last while that you've been focusing on getting healthy, that he hasn't been using that time to find other interests? Totally a shot in the dark, as I don't know you at all, but from my own experience, sometimes people will make accusations because they are feeling guilty about their own actions.

I really hope that I am wrong, but it might be something to look at.

has been a concern :(