The Night Eater

Options
ebbandflow
ebbandflow Posts: 25 Member
Hey all. Today I vow not to eat late at night. Even if it's fruit, it is calories! I work 3-11's so when I come home from work I feel I deserve a reward (woof!) or something and I feed myself while sitting in front of the computer. No more. Tonight I will do something DIFFERENT. Tea. Yes, tea with stevia will help. Anyone else struggle with night eating?

Replies

• Cat_from_Chicago
    Cat_from_Chicago Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I am the ultimate night snacker! I vowed to do better by not eating in the dark. Usually I would eat snacks in front of the tv or computer in the dark, at night. Now even when it's late, I turn the light on. It makes me accountable. I'm not hiding in the dark anymore...
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I love having a bowl of cereal at night while I'm watching tv!

I actually have stopped doing that, once in a while I'll have a little snack late at night. If I start to feel hungry and it's late, I usally just go to bed.
  • Peter3465
    Peter3465 Posts: 20
    Options
    I to am a terrible night eater , but it started because I worked the graveyard shifts, now I don't even feel hungry till night time. But I say the same thing I have to stop eating late .
  • sarah3333
    sarah3333 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I eat late all the time and I still lose weight as long as I don't go over my calories for the day. Watching every little calorie that goes into my mouth is hard enough without me feeling guilty about the time. I just find that I want to eat at night regardless of what I've eaten during the day so it's smarter for me to save some calories. Good luck to you whatever you decide. :)
  • raayfrancy
    raayfrancy Posts: 100
    Options
    When it's late, I get tempted by food sometimes too - what I do, I just drink water. An entire bottle, TWO bottles if I need to... hahaha but chugging room-temp water gives you a full feeling.
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I'm curious, does it really matter what time you eat your calories, as long as you are staying within your daily goals? Your body doesn't know what time it is, lots of people have different schedules. Body says - "Oh no, it's past 9 PM, gotta store that" lol I like to eat a tiny bit before I go to bed, even if it's just a spoon of peanut butter. I feel great when I wake up. I'm still losing weight at a steady pace.
  • missattitude57
    Options
    I'm curious, does it really matter what time you eat your calories, as long as you are staying within your daily goals? Your body doesn't know what time it is, lots of people have different schedules. Body says - "Oh no, it's past 9 PM, gotta store that" lol I like to eat a tiny bit before I go to bed, even if it's just a spoon of peanut butter. I feel great when I wake up. I'm still losing weight at a steady pace.

Its harder for your body to burn the calories from food you consume late at night since you aren't as active (i.e. sleeping). Most reference I've read suggest to stop eating 4 hours before you go to bed.
  • ebbandflow
    ebbandflow Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    thanks for your thoughts everyone. I know I feel better and have a better nights sleep on an "empty" stomach. My body has a chance to restore itself instead of concentrating all its energy on digesting. But you guys are right, calories are calories. Have a great day:)
  • zanneadams
    zanneadams Posts: 3
    Options
    From what I've read, it doesnt really matter when you eat. Calories are calories. However it does matter how LONG you go without eating. Since you work the 3-11.......when do you eat and how long of periods do you go without eating? Most of the time if you go long periods and are anxious, that increases cortisol levels which in turn signals your body to crave carbs. Carbs increases the amount of tryptophan which then converts into seratonin (which is that neurotransmitter that calms us down).