Better to run in shorts or leggings/running tights?

Options

Replies

• badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Shorts. I get really hot when running (not the sexy kind of hot either :/).
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I have a bit of everything, long tights, capris, shorts, sweats. Depends on how jiggly I'm feeling that day. :laugh:
  • christenwypy
    christenwypy Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I notice my shorts seem to ride up when I try to run and it annoys me. That's my two cents lol.
  • osugirl96
    osugirl96 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Shorts are usually cheaper so I have lots of the Nike running shorts, but they are pretty short. Since I've gotten a little self conscious about my thighs in the last year I have begun to wear running skirts. My favorite is a Nike one with a zipper pocket in the back; the length isn't too long and it was also reasonably priced. If I'm running a long distance, 10+ miles I usually like to wear compression tights for the knee support.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    You're ignoring the bigger issue here. What COLOR should your shorts or leggings be? And should your top be short sleeve or sleeveless.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Whichever you want. I wear compression leggings when it's colder, but I'm pretty much just wearing shorts now since it's gotten so warm.

I would definitely recommend getting clothing designed for running though. Nike style running shorts (I like the ones from JcPenny, much cheaper) are great, since they super light weights, don't trap sweat, and have a liner so you don't have to worry about anyone seeing undies.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Shorts. I get really hot when running (not the sexy kind of hot either :/).

This for me too... Shorts and a tank top
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    If I could run naked, I would.

I like to wear as little clothes as possible when I'm working out - as long as the temps are above the mid-40s I wear shorts.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Whichever is more comfortable for you.

When it is cold out I'll wear tights because... its cold.

When it is hot out I'll wear shorts.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    After today, I'm sticking with my spandex capris.
    Totally wasn't a fan of feeling my *kitten* shake...
    And having to tug the shorts down...

Personal preference though
  • TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I wear mens basketball shorts from Footlocker. An elastic waistband with a string makes life easy since I won't have to buy a new pair of pants every time I drop a size.
  • gracielee1
    gracielee1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    i personally like shorts, but compression pants are always great
  • skybird455
    skybird455 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    well I normally run in a short skirt and high heels doesnt every one? Oh wait, thats in my dream....I run in tight leggings, but was thinking of switching to one of those body suit looking things like to wear for tennis?
  • kristiteeter
    Options
    I prefer capri leggings only because they don't seem to ride up like shorts sometimes do. I do have a pair of running shorts with the built in and they are very cool. Good luck!
  • iva001
    iva001 Posts: 162
    Options
    I wear leggings cuz my inner thighs rub together and make my pants ride up between my legs if I wear shorts.

But does anyone have a problem with their tight leggings falling down? I think its due to my flat butt, large stomach :(
    Yes it has an elastic waistband...
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    Run in whatever is most comfortable for you.
  • beccci91
    beccci91 Posts: 214
    Options
    I feel like my legs are restricted in leggings. even when it's cold I always wear shorts, just chuck on a running jacket and my body temp is back to normal
    Leggings always seem to fall down on me anyway so it's much better to not deal with that, just get some shorts the right size and length and there's no problem

thats what i think too but was wondering if the legging specifically for running where different somehow?
  • Sumo813
    Sumo813 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    For me... definitely shorts. Just a better feel... I don't run outside, so being in Florida isn't an issue. But at some point I will, and it will be, and shorts will inevitably be even more necessary. Aside from that, I always wear compression shorts underneath to ensure I dont chafe... makes a world of difference.
  • sunshinedazed
    Options
    Capri work out pants are my go-to for cardio and strength training.. best of both worlds. Hah.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    For pure comfort & coolness I prefer to run in shorts however I've found that I recover far more quickly from long runs when I wear my compression tights (I'm not sure the general public can ever recover from the sight of me going down the bike path wearing them......) and they're wicking, so almost as cool as shorts

Ha! I wear shorts with compression calf sleeves...I get lots of funny looks and the other day after my run, I was running errands and some kid asked if I played soccer...LOL...

They do seem to help with muscle soreness and recovery!