I have Man Calves

Options
Sooo Here goes I have Man Calves and I mean really muscular HUGE Calves.. I want to get rid of them meaning the FAT that is on them so my muscles show through... Trouble is How??

They are very very muscular, there is also some fat like always, but I want to know how to tone your calves and get rid of the chub on them.. I have been using the leg machines at the gym but I don't believe they are working that specific area and I don't know what else to do.. I do cardio, but I don't think that will help?

Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    What you seem to be asking is how to lose muscle mass. In which case the answer is to not eat and not exercise.
  • sallywilson06
    sallywilson06 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    What you seem to be asking is how to lose muscle mass. In which case the answer is to not eat and not exercise.

No I don't want to lose the muscle mass, I want to lose the fat that is over them.. that's what I meant.
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    In that case, keep losing weight. You can't target fat loss.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Yup, sadly you can't target fat loss, you'll have ripped calves when your total % of body fat gets low enough or your body arbitrarily decides on its own that it's your calves turn.
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    you could try some weight calf lifts, holding on to weights at your sides, flex your calves so you stand on your toes. After 10 hold it for 20 seconds. Also, try doing them in fast repetition. I don't know if that will help, but it can help with definition.

Also, try running (if you do something else for cardio). I've noticed my calves look slimmer and more toned when I run.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    you could try some weight calf lifts, holding on to weights at your sides, flex your calves so you stand on your toes. After 10 hold it for 20 seconds. Also, try doing them in fast repetition. I don't know if that will help, but it can help with definition.

Also, try running (if you do something else for cardio). I've noticed my calves look slimmer and more toned when I run.

Are you sure this is good advice? Working on the assumption that the OP is in calorie deficit she's not going to put on muscle, but exercising her calves will not reduce them either.

OP: As others have said, where you lose weight from is primarily due to genetics and trying to beat genetics is very, very hard.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options

Are you sure this is good advice? Working on the assumption that the OP is in calorie deficit she's not going to put on muscle, but exercising her calves will not reduce them either.

OP: As others have said, where you lose weight from is primarily due to genetics and trying to beat genetics is very, very hard.

Correct! Putting emphasis on the calves in the gym won't burn the fat off of them. It will make them stronger, and maybe...just maybe, a little bigger (calves are tough to add size to for most people). So just keep working on general fat loss. Eventually, your body will pull the fat from them when it needs to. I'm the opposite. My calves got fairly defined right away, but still am trying to lose those last few pounds from around my waist. :-)
  • aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue - and I think the only solution is to reduce overall body fat %. You can't spot reduce - but as you lose fat, it will come off the calves as well.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    let's see 'em
  • 2knoxs
    2knoxs Posts: 81
    Options
    Maybe post a pic of your legs cause we are always harder on ourselves, maybe it will help your outlook on them if you get some feed back?
  • cathe18
    cathe18 Posts: 13
    Options
    Just don't feel alone.... I have man legs too.... and it couldn't even be a good lookin' man's legs... Such a bummer... I hate them.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Embrace your calves!

Be careful to do some warming up and stretching first though, to avoid injury. :wink:
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I lost my calves in a horrible pencil sharpening accident...
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Love your calves! They are not manly, they are STRONG!
    I have pretty decent sized calves myself. Better than scrawny chicken legs, in my opinion.

You can't spot reduce. There's no way to shrink one part of the body. If there was a way, we'd all have tiny waists and huge tatas.
  • NICOLED73
    NICOLED73 Posts: 183
    Options
    bump

I have large calf muscles too. Always have. I remember trying on jeans when I was @ 13 and bending in the dressing room and the stitch on the calf of the jeans ripping like I was HULK or something. I played soccer, cheerleading etc.... I hated my legs.

I have found that lunges and squats have helped me a lot. I still have muscular legs but would rather have them than fatty legs!!
    13519485 Posts: 264
    Options
    Are you a man? No? Then you don't have "man" calves. Problem solved.
  • sallywilson06
    sallywilson06 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I'll post a pic when I get out of work.. can't really get one up at the moment.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Running and transition to barefoot or zero drop shoes, they REALLY work the calves.

I have very muscular but manlly looking calves as well but the fat around them is gone, they are pretty ripped.
  • gina1971
    gina1971 Posts: 71 Member
    Options

^This. I have larger calves as well and have found that running has produced a longer, slimmer looking calf.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options

^This. I have larger calves as well and have found that running has produced a longer, slimmer looking calf.

Yes. It's because lots of cardio will eventually turn to muscle for fuel. You don't see a lot of distance runners with monster calves. You'll need to be running more than 2-3 miles at a time for that though.