Options
13»

Replies

• Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I personally stay away from rolls
    I stick to the real deal...SUSHI
    I even eat scallop sushi, ikura (salmon eggs), and uni (sea urchin) sushi which are all the more creamy/fatty sushis
    but I find I'm still losing as long as I stick with the lean stuff and don't get anything with the mayo dipping sauce and use ponzu or simply soy with wasabi
    I'm a sushi newbie. I've only had it a few times....but what's a sushi roll, vs. sushi? I just see the round pieces that have a green wrap around them....I thought that's what sushi was?

A sushi roll is just that, rice and fish/veggie fillings are spread out over a sheet of seaweed and rolled up into a cylinder, and then cut into pieces. Sometimes the rice is rolled on the outside of the seaweed, and it's called an inside-out roll.

Sushi (also called nigiri sushi) is just a small handful of sushi rice, with a piece of fish placed over top, no seaweed involved.

Sashimi is just raw fish, no rice or seaweed involved. It is the lowest-calorie sushi option since there's no rice.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    i could eat tuna and salmon sashimi every day.
  • angrykitty13
    angrykitty13 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    There are some good paleo sushi recipes out there. I like this one although I regularly add smoked salmon: http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2010/07/24/riceless-soy-free-sushi-domo-arigato/

Sashimi and Nigiri can definitely be part of a healthy diet. Like others have said, avoiding spicy mayo and anything deep fried is a good idea when limiting calories. I find the spicy mayo overpowers the taste of the fish and would rather go without it.
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I could eat sushi every day! I always start with miso soup since it helps to fill me up. I try to get brown rice, or often times I pick some of the rice off if I think its too much (can't do that with all you can eat though -- they get mad and charge you lol). My local places don't mind if I special order either -- no rice on this one, no sauce on that one, etc. I spend enough money there that they're usually happy to oblidge :) I typically eat tuna rolls, salmon rolls, sashimi of any kind. One of my fav "indulgence" rolls is a smokey salmon roll which is smoked salmon, cucumber and cream cheese. If I order that one, I ask for no rice and its delish!
  • Natihilator
    Options
    I would also advise to take it easy with california rolls/crab salad sushi. California rolls are usually made with pollock/imitation crab meat, which is highly processed, and also higher in sugar/carbs than real fish, and it's also mixed with mayo which adds more calories.

Plus you know, it's not real sushi, and was invented in Vancouver for Westerners who were freaked out at the thought of eating raw fish :tongue:
  • balfonso
    balfonso Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I'm craving sashimi now :tongue:
  • rebecky27
    rebecky27 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Thank you cloudbustr - that was really helpful!! :flowerforyou:
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I am reading all these stupid rules for eating sushi...I will not ask for brown rice..even though I do like it with brown rice..but white rice sushi tastes better..I will get rolls...I will use soy sauce and spice it up like no one's business...and of course I use Chop Sticks...Japanese Technique..not American

Sushi should not have rules...when it comes to nutrition...Eat it the way you like it!
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I usually order chirashi. It's sashimi on top of a bowl of rice. This allows easier portion control.
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I love sushi, I make it at home so I can watch what goes in to it. I buy the ingredients by mail order. Brown rice is good and the nutrients in the seaweed are excellent. Miso soup is so good for you too.

I can give up chocolate but you will have to fight me to give up sushi!
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    I even eat scallop sushi, ikura (salmon eggs), and uni (sea urchin) sushi which are all the more creamy/fatty sushis
    but I find I'm still losing as long as I stick with the lean stuff and don't get anything with the mayo dipping sauce and use ponzu or simply soy with wasabi
    I'm a sushi newbie. I've only had it a few times....but what's a sushi roll, vs. sushi? I just see the round pieces that have a green wrap around them....I thought that's what sushi was?

A sushi roll is just that, rice and fish/veggie fillings are spread out over a sheet of seaweed and rolled up into a cylinder, and then cut into pieces. Sometimes the rice is rolled on the outside of the seaweed, and it's called an inside-out roll.

Sushi (also called nigiri sushi) is just a small handful of sushi rice, with a piece of fish placed over top, no seaweed involved.

Sashimi is just raw fish, no rice or seaweed involved. It is the lowest-calorie sushi option since there's no rice.

That's not exactly right. It's sushi because of the way the rice is prepared. It can be nigiri sushi like you mentioned, rolls, wraps, or even in a bowl with various toppings. No fish necessary.
  • enchantedbunny
    Options
    That's not exactly right. It's sushi because of the way the rice is prepared. It can be nigiri sushi like you mentioned, rolls, wraps, or even in a bowl with various toppings. No fish necessary.

Brunner has it right. Sushi is the overarching term, and the dishes can include temaki (hand rolls... the "cones" of nori), makizushi (cut rolls), nigiri, sashimi, and chirashi among others. If you can afford it, sashimi would be your best bet, calorie-wise, since it eliminates the rice. Like another person mentioned, my second choice would be chirashi because the fish and tamago (egg) slices are laid on a bed of rice (sometimes with the option of white or brown!) and you can better eyeball how much rice you're eating. One roll can pack in an entire cup of rice!

Also, try filling up with some sunomono (cucumber salad) or edamame as a starter... might help your stomach and your wallet! :)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I want Chirashi SO BAD now!
  • Natihilator
    Options

Ok, but I wasn't the one saying it wasn't sushi, I just categorized the basics for the person asking without going into great detail about all sorts of sushi. I'm sure one can assume that vegetarian sushi wouldn't have fish. It's all sushi, it's all good :smile:
  • mishkat
    mishkat Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I am a huge sushi lover myself. If I had enough money to justify buying sushi every other day, I would. I love sashimi and maki rolls for the most parts. I can have simple ones or elaborates. My favorite topping is tobiko, love the pop! lol

I think I may have had brown rice with maki before and I wasnt a big fan, I prefer white rice.

I think, as with everything else, as long as you eat in moderation, that is what really counts.

Allow yourself some pleasures, because if you dont, you will most likely overeat trying to fill that craving and that is worse IMO.
  • melg126
    melg126 Posts: 378
    Options
    I love sushi! I just had some this weekend... nom nom nom.
  • annebubbles
    annebubbles Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    wow, some of you are SO technical. just go & try something new each time.