Avoiding right sided 'stitch' pain when running

Options
soph501
soph501 Posts: 47 Member
Hi everyone, just wondered if anyone had any advice. I've recently started running and have gotten to a point where I can jog/run 5km without stopping in about 25-30 mins. My only issue is that I get really bad 'stitch' pain on my right side (liver area) after about 5-10 mins running. Any tips on avoiding this pain?

Replies

• mmessamo
    mmessamo Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    drink a lot of water during the day and make sure that it only occurs when your running and not all the time. other than that it is something you kinda just have to push through, eventually it will go away
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Right side of the body stitch for me is always water. Once I drink some, it goes away. I just keep running through it if it happens on a short trail run I didn't bring water on. Any other time, I still keep running, but just a few sips of water is usually enough to make it go away. So my recommendation would be to stay hydrated before and during. :)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options

^^ great tips! For me, they seem to mostly stem from not breathing deeply enough. I've been told to inhale through my nose and exhale through my mouth to help but I've got weird narrow nostrils that just don't allow me to do that without major effort and thought. So instead, I can usually work through it by first forcibly exhaling and then taking deeper breaths.
  • soph501
    soph501 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses :) I've been trying to work on my breathing but I find I end up focusing more on that than the running itself. I will try to take on more water and push through it. Hopefully it will get better as I continue.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Right side of the body stitch for me is always water. Once I drink some, it goes away. I just keep running through it if it happens on a short trail run I didn't bring water on. Any other time, I still keep running, but just a few sips of water is usually enough to make it go away. So my recommendation would be to stay hydrated before and during. :)
    Aside from staying hydrated, this isn't how side stitches work on my body. If I drink too much water during a run (a big gulp, rather than sip), I'm guaranteed a stitch within the next block. If I drink MORE water once a stitch has arrived, I might as well end my run right then and there.
    I think that article also sums it up nicely. Watch your food/beverage intake prior to your run. From personal experience, time of day is a big factor for me. I get more side stitches on early evening/late afternoon runs than my morning runs. I'm sure it has to do with eating during the day, then working out (I do make sure I have a 1.5-2 hour window between eating and running), because my morning runs are on an empty stomach (well, a measly 100 cal energy gel).