Noisy knees

Options
I recently got back into weight training and have noticed that my knees crackle and pop when doing squats. I have no pain during or afterwards. I'm fairly certain that I have proper form -- I have worked with good trainers before. I never noticed the noises when i used to lift regularly a few years back. I'm wondering if I am wearing down my cartilage because things are rubbing together that shouldn't.

Anyone have these sounds? Has the cracking and popping indicated (or developed into) a problem?

Replies

• laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I started noticing it when I was lifting at home, without music. Now I Usually have it just during the bodyweight squat warmups. I do as many as I need to until I don't hear more crackling before I move onto the barbell. Like you, no pain.

I've been told that noises like that (without pain) aren't anything to worry about, so I don't... :)
  • lrdavenport23
    lrdavenport23 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have been wondering the same thing about my knees. Actually, it's only my left knee that crackles. I don't have any pain either but it's so irritating to hear the noise. I often think about going to get it checked out, but I asked around and I was told the same thing that if it doesn't hurt than everthing should be okay.
  • markmarkda
    markmarkda Posts: 9
    Options
    I have the same thing. My knees do ache some days but I don't have pain when I bend them just popping. For squats I'm thinking that reps vs weight would be easier on the joint. Lunges seem to be easier on my knees, less noise. I had popping in my shoulders when I was younger, was told it was tendinitis and to try not to over strain the joint until it got stronger.
  • sneph650
    sneph650 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all! I've decided that I'm not going to worry about it for now. I'll try your strategy next workout, laurarpa, of doing no-load squats until the noise stops. Maybe it's just a matter of the joints getting warmed up.
  • flymedic
    flymedic Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing. When I hit about 250lbs it started. My doctor said it was breakdown of the cartiledge and I needed to lose weight. @ 390 it is worse eventually it could lead to knee surgery. My advise: 1. see an orthopedist 2 keep working out.
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I can make music with my left knee. I don't feel a thing but it's got all sorts of musical talent. :P
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    this happens to me too. i only really notice it with body weight squats. not sure if it's an issue or not, but i'm a little bit concerned about it.