Exercise -calories burned??

Options
When I enter the time that I did a cardio exercise under the exercise tab it automatically puts in the calories burned. Is this based on my weight and height? (i.e. I know that heavier people burn more calories then people that weigh less, or have less to lose) It just seems unrealistic to think that I burned over 400 calories working out on the elliptical for 30 minutes. The machine at the gym says something far less than this. What should I do to get the correct calorie burn?

Replies

• potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    get yourself a Heart rate Monitor. It is still approximate, but it is more specific to you. The MFP numbers are notoriously high for many activities.

When you have the data from a HRM you can change the numbers that MFP coughs up.
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    yes i agree that MFP tends to say over calories burned. my solution has been to input that i did a little less exercise than i actually did, just in case. so if i do treadmill for an hour, i will input 45 min.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I'd go with what the machine at the gym says. It is taking into account your actual EFFORT on the machine, and is probably pretty darned close if you've entered your age and weight into it.

I honestly don't know if MFP's numbers are based on height and weight. I do know that the elliptical numbers are about accurate for me (well, verified with a heart-rate-based calculation using the heart rate monitor on the elliptical and a few online calculators, and the machine numbers themselves, which all come within 50 calories of MFP's numbers for a 45-minute burn).

But I also use the elliptical as a heart-rate-based workout. I only have 45 minutes a day on it on my cardio days, so I get my heart rate up to the very top of the "cardio" range (145-150 for me) as quickly as I safely can, and keep it there for at least 35 of the 45 minutes.

I've seen people hop on the elliptical, set it to low resistance, and use it to get their heart rate to 120. If I did that, MFP would still be coughing up the same numbers, but I know I'd be burning quite a lot fewer calories at a 120 heartrate than I do at 150. However, the machine should see the amount of effort you are putting into it (speed, resistance, etc) and adjust the calorie burn accordingly.

They're all estimates, but the machine has more to base the estimates on. A heart rate monitor would be marginally more accurate.
  • lindaschultz45
    lindaschultz45 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    This is what I found online. How to calculate Calories burned for weight lifting: Step 1 Weigh yourself before each weight lifting session. The number of calories you burn partially depends on your weight. Step 2 Time the number of minutes you lifted weights. This includes the time spent resting between repetitions. Step 3 Determine the intensity value of your weight training. A bodybuilding level of effort is vigorous and burns 0.055 calories per pound per minute. Circuit training with weights burns 0.042 calories per pound per minute. Strength training with free weights burns 0.039 calories per pound per minute. Lighter weight lifting with moderate effort burns 0.028 calories per pound per minute. Step 4 Calculate the number of calories burned. First, multiply your weight by the number of minutes you exercised. For example, if you weigh 140 lbs. and lifted weights for 35 minutes, the formula would be 140 x 35 = 4900. Then multiply this number by the intensity value to get the number of calories burned. If you were circuit training, the formula would be 4900 x 0.042 = 206 calories burned. Just starting out, I'm using the .028 number as my focus is still burning the fat! I use to hate to sweat...now I love it! I think it's my fat cells crying out, "Don't make me leave this chubby wubby warm body!" LOL A lot to do with weight loss is keeping your mind focused on your goals. I'll use anything that helps me with this! ; )
  • idnac17
    idnac17 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Great question. I've been wondering this for a while. I totally agree w/ the heart monitor suggestion. I plan to borrow my parents' monitor this weekend...but I need to replace the batteries! No excuses!

I just reached my 15 lb mini goal so I went out and bought something called the Fit Bit. It's kind of like a pedometer, but does a bit more. Dr. Oz recommended it and it was a nice little treat for reaching a small goal!!!
  • bestbreakfast
    bestbreakfast Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Great question. I've been wondering this for a while. I totally agree w/ the heart monitor suggestion. I plan to borrow my parents' monitor this weekend...but I need to replace the batteries! No excuses!

I just reached my 15 lb mini goal so I went out and bought something called the Fit Bit. It's kind of like a pedometer, but does a bit more. Dr. Oz recommended it and it was a nice little treat for reaching a small goal!!!

Thanks! that's a good idea and I will also look into the Fit Bit.
  • bestbreakfast
    Options
    Thanks!!!:happy:
  • bestbreakfast
    Options
    :happy:
    This is what I found online. How to calculate Calories burned for weight lifting: Step 1 Weigh yourself before each weight lifting session. The number of calories you burn partially depends on your weight. Step 2 Time the number of minutes you lifted weights. This includes the time spent resting between repetitions. Step 3 Determine the intensity value of your weight training. A bodybuilding level of effort is vigorous and burns 0.055 calories per pound per minute. Circuit training with weights burns 0.042 calories per pound per minute. Strength training with free weights burns 0.039 calories per pound per minute. Lighter weight lifting with moderate effort burns 0.028 calories per pound per minute. Step 4 Calculate the number of calories burned. First, multiply your weight by the number of minutes you exercised. For example, if you weigh 140 lbs. and lifted weights for 35 minutes, the formula would be 140 x 35 = 4900. Then multiply this number by the intensity value to get the number of calories burned. If you were circuit training, the formula would be 4900 x 0.042 = 206 calories burned. Just starting out, I'm using the .028 number as my focus is still burning the fat! I use to hate to sweat...now I love it! I think it's my fat cells crying out, "Don't make me leave this chubby wubby warm body!" LOL A lot to do with weight loss is keeping your mind focused on your goals. I'll use anything that helps me with this! ; )
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    i always go by the machine at the gym, or if i'm doing non machine work like crossfit, i just low ball what i think i burned.
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I have been considering the fitbit. Has anyone got one? I would be interested to know your thoughts on it. Thanks
  • Eman2424
    Eman2424 Posts: 4
    Options
    if the machines you use at the gym ask for your weight, go with the calories on the machine because they'll be as accurate as you can be.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I have been considering the fitbit. Has anyone got one? I would be interested to know your thoughts on it. Thanks
    i have a fitbit but its not a HRM, its basically a pedometer.