• mayralee13
    mayralee13 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    BUMP FOR LATER
  • JackboyE
    JackboyE Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Fantastic thread.

All I'm gonna say is: At the moment, it's currently inconclusive as to whether eating 5-6 (or w/e) meals is optimal for MUSCLE GAIN. It's been proven that it doesn't matter for fat loss. According to Alan Aragon, there are short term studies that suggest more doses of protein (spread throughout the day) improve MUSCLE GAIN. However, there are currently no long term studies that prove this.

But yeah, in terms of fat loss (which is the number 1 priority of this site for most people) meal timing isn't important at all.
  • JackboyE
    JackboyE Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I do want to make one point about how often one eats and does it matter to the world of weight loss. While it may not directly impact the scale, it can affect how your body utilizes/absorbs the nutrients you eat from your meals (both macro: protein, fat and carbs) as well as absorption of micronutrients (vitamins/minerals).

I think, if most people tuned into their OWN bodies they'd find what works for them. No one persons cheimcal make up and metabolism is the same. In fact, on a daily basis, even our metabolisms are not identical to the day before. It isn't one size fits all.... Educate yourself, listen to your body and do what works for you!

BTW... Maybe peoples' definition of 5-6 small "meals" is different. I eat 3 regular meals a day, breakfast @ 200 cal, lunch around 300 cal and dinner around 330 cal. The rest of my caloric intake is from snacks throughout my day. So, my snacks are actually my 4th, 5th and 6th meal, if, you will. But I hate to be so structured about my eating. I am on the go and drive a lot for my job, so I do what works for me.

Hell yeah, I class a protein shake as a meal whilst others would class it as a snack.

In terms of protein absorption, Dr Layne Norton has said that his data has suggested eating ~5 meals a day. There is a great slideshow on it.
  • mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    thanks for this!

I still try and eat frequently not to "increase my weight loss" but because I can't concentrate well and get irritated when I'm hungry. It also helps with cravings. :)

edit: just to clarify, I eat 3 meals a day (around 400 cal each) then 2-3 snacks.
  • mel128
    mel128 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Bump! Execellent post.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Or in other words, personal preference.

THANK YOU.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I just linked this on Facebook for one of my friends. Thanks again Sidesteal!
  • Josette89
    Josette89 Posts: 244
    Options

If you are comparing equal calorie intakes in both scenarios then your husband is wrong. I would suggest a sex bet before proving.

Hahaha.... Sneaky Sneaky. :)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    This needs a bump due to recent forum posts.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Bump because I can dig it! Thanks again!
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Here is a recent review article on the effects of meal frequency on appetite control and energy intake:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21123467

The full text is available for free.

Note that this article addresses a related, but different topic than presented by the OP.

The authors conclude that the effects of increased feeding frequency on appetite control are still unclear, and additional research is needed.

However, there are at least two studies that provide reasonable support for the notion that reduction in meal frequency below 3/day causes an increase in appetite. This seems to depend on which meal is omitted.

Cheers,

Jeff

I think that i do better eating more frequently because if i dont, then i am starving by the time a "lunch" or "dinner" time comes around. Perhaps that is why it works better for me. I also am very active, though and I usually am sluggish at the gym if i dont have a snack beforehand so it helps in that way also.
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I'm not much of a science person, but I do know that my mood and energy stay more balanced when I eat small frequent meals. I eat six times a day and that works for me. If I was to cram in all of my calories in 2 to 3 meals, I would feel overstuffed and sluggish and then hungry and cranky before time to eat again. If that works for someone else though I don't see anything wrong with it.

agreed! its the same for me also!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    The point of the OP is that you need to do what works for you realizing other than for those who have certain metabolic disease (diabetes and the like) meal frequency has no effect. Eat as many or as few meals as you are comfortable with.
  • allie316
    allie316 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    have just found this post, and although im very new to trying to be healthy, not just losing a bucket load of weight, i find it quite interesting and a little bit relieving that i can work at finding the right way for me, without having to follow strict rules, that ultimately dont seem to keep me full, happy or energised.

I will be taking the time to go throught the links and sites later, but i just wanted to say thank you for the insight, and for helping a little fatty like me finally find peace that 'dieting' to someone elses standards is what has hindered me, as opposed to helping me find what will actually work for me.
  • tracypk
    tracypk Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    bump
  • D_Journey
    D_Journey Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Awesome read. Bump.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    thank you for sharing this...now I can finally prove to my husband that only eating 3 meals with a snack or two is OK. he is always telling I would lose weight faster if I ate 6 small meals a day and I find that pretty hard to accomplish!

If you are comparing equal calorie intakes in both scenarios then your husband is wrong. I would suggest a sex bet before proving.

I think all arguments should start this way-- that way no matter who loses, everybody wins :)
  • Vini9
    Vini9 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Bump!