Make up your own strength/weight training routines, or..

Options
Have you ever made your own routine? Or are you only comfortable doing DVDs/pre-made programs?
Why?

I'm considering making my own routine, but ehhh.

Replies

• mrdarcyy
    mrdarcyy Posts: 7
    Options
    Yeah, I make my own weight training routines but it's basically just comprised of things I've learned at the gym or from reading on-line. So I basically just take the exercises that I want to improve and that would benefit me the most, and just make a routine for them. I really like it because I'm in charge of what I'm doing and I don't have to do things that seem "pointless" to me. Plus they are specifically made for MY goals that I'm trying to achieve.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    So far I've progressed from Body for Life, to Starting Strength, to Wendler's 5/3/1. I've only made very minor variations, if any. Why mess with proven programs?
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    In my experience, most novice lifters that try to build their own routine will see results.. for a few months at best.
    Chances are, you're going to re-evaluate, and end up switching things up, and then do the same again a few months later.

You are likely better off finding a program/split/routine whatever you'd like to call it, that has proven itself through the years.
  • crazy8ts
    crazy8ts Posts: 360
    Options
    I like using the DVDs... I feel like they keep me on track. If I'm doing my own thing, I rush through it all and don't really push myself...

Though I started out following each program exclusively, I currently mix them up... I like the cardio of Insanity... and the muscle building/strength training of the p90x and p90x plus...
  • supergr33n
    supergr33n Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Bodyrock.tv for high impact, bodyweight-only strength training routines (and I prefer the older routines with Zuzana, not the newer hosts).

Cardio vids on Netflix, and P90X (I love kenpo and cardiox) for cardio, to shake things up.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting a while so I try to work out my own routine according to what I can fit in the week at the time. The basic programs are fine, but I like to add different exercises to them.
  • Fit2befitZ
    Fit2befitZ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    To the Body Rocker...have you been doing any of the ZWOW workouts? Just curious what you thought of them. When the new hosts came around I started doing the ZWOWs more.
  • crazy8ts
    crazy8ts Posts: 360
    Options
    Bodyrock.tv for high impact, bodyweight-only strength training routines (and I prefer the older routines with Zuzana, not the newer hosts).

Cardio vids on Netflix, and P90X (I love kenpo and cardiox) for cardio, to shake things up.

You should check out the P90x Plus Kenpo Cardio... One of my TH favorites!
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I'm also doing 5/3/1; it works for me, so I don't see any need to make up something completely different.
  • supergr33n
    Options
    To the Body Rocker...have you been doing any of the ZWOW workouts? Just curious what you thought of them. When the new hosts came around I started doing the ZWOWs more.

Honestly? No. I feel like Zuzana is off her game- she put on a bit of weight during her "break", and now she seems uncoordinated, or unsure of herself like she was with BR- I wonder if Freddie was what made her seem more confident? I think the ZWOWs themselves are a great tool, but I don't like that she now uses equipment like weights and kettlebells, and doesn't show mods like she did with BR- I have success with bodyweight-only routines, and some of her moves, just wouldn't be as successful without the weights. I love Zuzi to death.. but I doubt I'll do ZWOWs anytime soon. As for BR- I don't care for Lisa's personality, and I don't like all the friggin' equipment they're bringing in- the purpose of Bodyrock WAS to prove you can get a great workout on without weights or equipment.. I feel like Freddies gone away from their original mission. Makes me sad.
  • supergr33n
    Options
    You should check out the P90x Plus Kenpo Cardio... One of my TH favorites!

Thanks, I'll check it out!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Yes, I made up my own. In 3 months I got nowhere.
    In 2 weeks of doing Rippetoe's starting strength, I made significant gains.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I started out using my own routine, but that's never a good idea for beginners.
    Spent a year doing things incorrectly and wasted a lot of time, and a lot of gains.

Find a decent barbell program and stick with it.
    You'll be amazed.

After you're a bit more advanced and understand how to plan programs, you can start tweaking them to fit your needs.
    You wouldn't walk into woodshop class on the first day and start building a house, you learn from the people who have done this longer than you, then when you're ready, you make small changes.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    Have you ever made your own routine? Or are you only comfortable doing DVDs/pre-made programs?
    Why?

I'm considering making my own routine, but ehhh.

Yes. I have before.

I've been in and out of the weight room since I was about 13 though.
  • MotorCityFemmeFatale
    MotorCityFemmeFatale Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    but that's never a good idea for beginners.
    Spent a year doing things incorrectly and wasted a lot of time, and a lot of gains.

You'll be amazed.

After you're a bit more advanced and understand how to plan programs, you can start tweaking them to fit your needs.
    You wouldn't walk into woodshop class on the first day and start building a house, you learn from the people who have done this longer than you, then when you're ready, you make small changes.

this
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I started out using my own routine, but that's never a good idea for beginners.

You'll be amazed.

werd, yo!
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting off and on for over half my life. I do weights with my trainer twice a week, and on my own twice a week. I do generally make my own, and my trainer is happy with what I'm doing, and I've been seeing significant strength gains over the last 6 months.