I don't like real food?!?

Options
2»

Replies

• TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I would become the smoothie king. Even loaded with vegetables, they taste like dessert.

Peanut butter chocolate breakfast. Carrot Apple for lunch. Super Berry mix plus leafy greens for dinner.. and then I'd eat one of those nasty-delicious designer proteins for lastmeal.. Mint chocolate chip or cake batter.
  • sirphilipe
    sirphilipe Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    If you need to stretch your stomach a bit, try water... if you don't like the taste of just water try sqeezing in some fruit juice like lemon or orange. (just a little bit)
  • pamfm
    pamfm Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing: You've conditioned yourself to not feel hunger. You'll need to condition yourself to eat again. It does not take long -- your body wants food very much-- but you have to take initiative! No excuses.

Way back when I was in high school, I got this idea in my head that I was only ever going to eat if I was hungry. A lot of my immediate family members were overweight over-eaters, and I didn't want to be one, too. The trouble is, if you get hungry at a time when you can't eat, then you have to ignore it, and as hours pass, you get beyond the hunger. It didn't take long before I was only eating supper each day. At some point my friends convinced me that this was stupid, and I started eating regular meals again, despite lack of hunger. It only took a couple weeks before my stomach started growling around lunch time.

As far as not "liking" real food goes... maybe move on from things you know you don't like, and try some real foods you've never had before. I saw that you ate avocado maki. Eat more avocado. Eat it plain. Dip crackers in it. Put it on top of a cup of steamed rice. Try tofu, tempeh, seitan. Try peanut sauce. Taste new fruits. And stop buying low-fat/low-cal stuff. You're eating so little, you have no need to cut calories/fat! You need all of your food to be as dense as possible until you are eating enough.

For good tips on resetting your metabolism, join this group:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less

Good luck!
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    No I was never beatin with a chicken as a kid-- Lol
    My mom was a great cook -- well balanced. I mostly would eat the veggies --vegetarian but not by principal, desire.
    I never eat prepackaged food actually never had a frozen dinner until I was in my mid 20s-- still don't care for it..
    To show you how bad it is, ive been nursing a 6oz yogurt for almost an hour!
    I need to increase my stomach size--Sounds wrong when your heavy but it is a common problem.
    I'm amazed I'm not anemic --- until I started counting I never put two n two together that I don't eat. It was 90% junk food!
    Like above said. It's a lifestyle change, least I'm learning now.
    Thx guyz!!

Dont wait for your appetite to increase so you can eat more. If you delibrately force a greater amount each day you will feel overfull to start with but in a really fast amount of time your leptin levels balance out and your apetite will increase. So eat more and your appetite will go up.

As far as I know its correcting your body chemistry so you feel hungry again not "stomach stretching".

If you dont like fruit and veg normally try green smoothies.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Hey there...I sent you a friend request b/c you sound alot like me....My weightloss has been so slow b/c I couldn't meet my calories - even when pushing myself to....Then I started drinking protein shakes to give me more calories & protein which has helped....I am trying now to re-boot my metabolism I guess you could say by upping my calories & trying to incorporate more 'foods' into my diet which is slow going....Also, when I do eat, I eat the same things daily as well....Hopefully if you accept my friend request maybe we can help each other out... :flowerforyou:

Also, sugar is my main issue but I have cut out much of it but it is really hard to stay away from....I have now been eating nuts ALL of the time to add calories as well...
  • vestarocks
    vestarocks Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I'm proud of you for recognizing your poor nutrition and wanting to do something about it. I've never had the problem of not wanting to be bothered with food. I love food period - healthy food, junk food, doesn't matter.

I agree to start with smoothies - packing in as much nutrition as you can. Peanut butter is easy. My favourite snack is peanut butter and apple. I also like the idea of adding the 100 calories every few days as a goal. Baby steps right?

Good luck and congratulations on your desire for change.
  • Raddichio
    Raddichio Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    What did you eat when you were gaining weight? You could eat that, but not as much.

I am concerned that you may have an eating disorder. What is it that you dislike about food? The texture? The taste? Could this be a control issue that's gotten out of hand. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but it seems very extreme, and eating disorders can be deadly.

You may need to meet with a dietician, regardless of the reason. I agree with others that you are not getting the nutrients you need to stay healthy. You may get by liked this for quite a while, but eventualy it will catch up with you. Please seek some one-on-one help from someone knowledgeable, such as a dietician.
  • jenniebee19
    jenniebee19 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Think there is some confusion. I love to eat. But it was an overwhelming amount of junk food.
    Cookies, crackers, candy then more candy. Did I mention candy??? Lol. I do like vegetables. I dislike meat. Hate chicken more than life, weird I know. Do I eat it sometimes, yes. But I cannot build a taste for it.
    I do not have an eating disorder -- unless you count eating candy as one lol
    When I decided to diet, that's when I realized I don't eat real meals.
    I would have waffles or cereal for lunch and dinner.
    One of the major issues is I'm lactose intolerant. Yogurt (light) only form of dairy I can handle.
    If I eat a burger. I want cheese on it. So therefore I don't eat burgers. I would LOVE to eat pizza, can't.
    So anything I do like is restricted. And what's left is just blah to me. Lactaid pills don't help.
    I switched to sugar free jello because I am trying to reduce my sugar count. It's like eating one chip, u can't. It is like a drug for me, only way to beat the addiction is cold turkey.
    That's my whole goal, cut out sweets...that's y I am where I am now. But when I did that I realized, wow I lived off of them. Literally! And now making my daily goals is a chore. I just need to re-learn how to eat.
    I just ate, black beans, brown rice, avacado, flank steak strips and lettuce-- salad and string beans for dinner and I'm still 400 calories short. I am by no means starving myself. I just can't seem to make my goal.
    Thx for the advice some is really good. I will start to incorporate healthier choices.
  • mollydubs
    mollydubs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I went through this. Really what helped me was planning my food diary in advance and sticking to my plan. I had to teach myself to see food as a fuel and the planning of a diary as a game that, if I tweaked just right, could be easily perfected. Otherwise, I'd be very likely to not want to eat at all. I'm not sure anyone can teach you to like food, but you can teach yourself to like being fueled in the proper way.

Maybe give thinking of food that and planning out ways to fuel yourself a try. I found that these go-to foods I worked daily into my diet became way more enjoyable and fun to tweak and perfect the more I did it.
  • Raddichio
    Raddichio Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Jennie, Thanks for responding. I really was worried about you.

I think the idea of viewing food as fuel is a good one, because you really can't go on indefinitely eating only the things you mentioned. Congrats on having a decent meal -- it's a start anyway. I do sympathize with your dislike of meat, as I feel physicallly ill if eating a large portion of beef, and I've never cared for it much. I have learned to eat it on occasion, but only in small amounts. I do like chicken, though. I often have trouble eating enough protein, so I've started making fruit smoothies with protein powder. Today I made one with OJ, some protein powder, ice, a miniscule splash of agave, and frozen berries (raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries---I don't really like to eat any of them, but they made a delicious smoothie).

I do think you would do well to speak wtih a dietician who could help you design a meal plan incorporating your preferences and providing a better array of nutrients. Or maybe someone here will come up with some ideas that appeal to you.