Any body with any Cardiovascular Illnesses on MFP?

Options
tetecia
tetecia Posts: 75 Member
Hey Everybody,
I finally gave up and joined MFP a month or so after my Friend did. This turning point came because i realized that while my weight wasn't too bad; i just wasn't eating the way that i knew that i needed to. I was placed on a low sodium diet that i was finding hard to stick to, especially when technically i'm the only one in my house that's actually on it. Also, after speaking with Cardio i realized that i should probably lower my BMI just a smidge, they said that i should really have it around 19-20. And right now, i'm around 21. Not too bad or anything, but i can definitely feel a difference with my energy and everything the higher my BMI. Also, since my last surgeries i've lost what little muscle tone i was able to maintain after having my kids. Anywho, i'd just like to meet and chat with others that may be here for similar reasons :D!

Replies

• noweightfisherj
    noweightfisherj Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    9 years ago I when through congestive heart failure and had Ablation preformed, and a couple months ago I had Tachycardia and the Cardiologist had to shock my heat back to a correct beat. Not the same but similar. I think.
  • Catrinaxox
    Catrinaxox Posts: 7
    Options
    Hello, yup I've had heart surgery when I was 20 for a genetic disorder. I'm considered low risk now but had to take a cardio stress test to get doctor's approval to train for a half marathon. Sorry to hear your surgeries are more than one, I found one tough enough.

Right now I just walk a lot but hope to lower my BMI to start running again, this weight cannot be good for my cardiovascular health.

Add me if you want to share motivation.
  • Sixalicious
    Sixalicious Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!

I developed postpartum hypertension after my daughter was born four years ago. A year later, my doctor discovered that I have a heart murmur and two leaky valves which he attributes to my weight. After losing 40 lbs I am no longer on meds but I do watch my sodium and keep my potassium levels up to keep my blood pressure under control. Since I started working out, my murmur has gotten better and my cardiologist said that my leaky valves should correct themselves. I guess we'll see when I go back in July.
  • Jessb1985
    Jessb1985 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I had open heart surgery when I was 24 to fix a genetic abnormality (born with whole in the heart)

Best of luck with your weight loss efforts :)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    YES!

Oh please friend me!

I have a congenital heart defect in my mitral valve (Mitral Valve Regurgitation) which causes partial backflow of blood in the heart. It's quite a challenge doing high intensity cardio, but I can usually get away with longer low-intensity workouts instead. I'm also hypotensive (abnormally naturally low blood pressure) so I'm on a high sodium diet to help with that. My heart medication makes the hypotension much worse.

I've managed to drop 40 lbs slowly but surely along the way, so just work with whatever trouble your having and don't give up. It CAN be done.
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    I have arrhythmia's which don't affect my day to day that much as long as I take care of myself. No medication or surgery. Feel free to friend me!
  • BrionyTallis
    BrionyTallis Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Yep, CAD (had to have stents) and arrhythmia ... I had to get a doctor's release to join a gym but the doctor wants me to build up my strength and endurance slowly
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it qualifies but I was diagnosed with high blood pressure just about 1 year ago.

This was the slap in the face that got me started. At my Doctor's last year I weighed in at 272 lbs. Last weekend I weighed in at 186 lbs.

The whole low sodium thing is the hardest!
  • lucky2too
    lucky2too Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have CAD and a stent placement about 5 months ago. Please feel free to add me. In fact, ilove to give and get support...new friends with cardiovascular issues are welcome to add me.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it qualifies but I was diagnosed with high blood pressure just about 1 year ago.

This was the slap in the face that got me started. At my Doctor's last year I weighed in at 272 lbs. Last weekend I weighed in at 186 lbs.

I was diagnosed with high blood pressure 2 years ago when I was at my highest weight & that served as my wake-up call since I'm already diabetic during that time. Not to mention that hypertension & heart disease runs in my family. But ever since I changed my lifestyle, my health improved & I'm no longer on the meds.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options

I was diagnosed with high blood pressure 2 years ago when I was at my highest weight & that served as my wake-up call since I'm already diabetic during that time. Not to mention that hypertension & heart disease runs in my family. But ever since I changed my lifestyle, my health improved & I'm no longer on the meds.

That is awesome! Congrats!
  • mr_rat
    mr_rat Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with COPD and i have hyper tension, i've started working on my weight shortly after
  • tetecia
    Options
    Yay! I'm so glad that i started this thread! I was curious if there were any others out there on MFP that were dealing with or have had or do have Cardiovascular issues. My health issues were congenital, all accept for the CHF; that was caused by pregnancy; twice.

I've had 10 surgeries. 4 Open Heart Surgeries, A Pacemaker, 2 Thoracic IV surgeries, and 3 MRAs. I know that my Cardiologist wants me to get more active, but it's really hard. My last surgery was almost 2 years ago and it's about time that i try to rebuild my strength. It's just uber hard. The positioning of my pacer and everything coupled with my Neuralgia just makes everything that much difficult. Anyways, i figured i'd be easier for me to stay on track if i found others in somewhat similar situations :D

Friend Me so we can stay in touch!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    Yay! I'm so glad that i started this thread! I was curious if there were any others out there on MFP that were dealing with or have had or do have Cardiovascular issues. My health issues were congenital, all accept for the CHF; that was caused by pregnancy; twice.

I've had 10 surgeries. 4 Open Heart Surgeries, A Pacemaker, 2 Thoracic IV surgeries, and 3 MRAs. I know that my Cardiologist wants me to get more active, but it's really hard. My last surgery was almost 2 years ago and it's about time that i try to rebuild my strength. It's just uber hard. The positioning of my pacer and everything coupled with my Neuralgia just makes everything that much difficult. Anyways, i figured i'd be easier for me to stay on track if i found others in somewhat similar situations :D

Friend Me so we can stay in touch!

I am so sorry you had to go through all that at such a young age too.

I will say that when I started out, I didn't know what was wrong with me other than that I could not get my breath no matter how hard I tried when I exerted myself. I would feel arrythmias popup and this sharp stabby pain in my chest. Getting on the right meds helped a lot, but it took me many many months to get fit enough to jog even for a short time.

I took up weight training instead of doing a lot of cardio workouts, and it's been great. I lift heavy, and it doesn't seem to stress my heart as much.
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Yes, I had aortic valve replacement surgery to correct a congenital defect on 3/30/12, followed by 2 days back in the hospital this week for something called Dressler's Syndrome. Looking online it occurs only in about 7% of cases. Last weekend shortness of breath developed, along with a fever, so I went to the doctor Monday and found there was fluid in the lungs. Yesterday they pulled almost a liter of fluid from the right lung -- no wonder I was short of breath! Anyway, back home and on the mend again. Fortunately I had been at the gym regularly beforehand, so that really helped my healing. I'm eager to get back to it, but after this secondary hospital stay they now say 6 months for weights. Cardio is OK, though, so it will have to do.
  • tetecia
    Options
    Yes, I had aortic valve replacement surgery to correct a congenital defect on 3/30/12, followed by 2 days back in the hospital this week for something called Dressler's Syndrome. Looking online it occurs only in about 7% of cases. Last weekend shortness of breath developed, along with a fever, so I went to the doctor Monday and found there was fluid in the lungs. Yesterday they pulled almost a liter of fluid from the right lung -- no wonder I was short of breath! Anyway, back home and on the mend again. Fortunately I had been at the gym regularly beforehand, so that really helped my healing. I'm eager to get back to it, but after this secondary hospital stay they now say 6 months for weights. Cardio is OK, though, so it will have to do.

That's Crazy! Well, it's a good thing that they found you had Dressler's Syndrome. Sometimes, it's better that they find it instead of something remotely serious happening and then finding out about it. I had my left subclavian artery retracted and put in place of my Aorta because it practically dissinegrated when i was an infant. I have been severely SOB lately, and i've gone into the Cardiologist about it a few times and they keep telling me that it is gastrointestinal, which i don't buy into; so i'm changing doctors. But, i'm glad you went into the hospital yesterday and had that fluid drained!! It is not fun retaining that much fluid in your chest! Yeah, it's gonna be a while until you are able to get back to doing weights; but low cardio should at least help a bit. Not like weights, but it's a start! Where my Pacer is located it makes it a bit difficult to move my arms around; but i'm working on it.