diet for breastfeeding moms

Options
I'm breastfeeding, and i know obviously eat healthier but what exactly? and are there any supplements id be allowed to take to help suppress my apetite and help me lose weight?

Replies

• tulip07
    tulip07 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    -The absolute most important thing is to drink LOTS of fluids. It helps with the supply and also melts the weight away (this is based on personal experience. I drank water all day every day and I wasn't forcing myself, I truly was thirsty all the time)
    -Continue to take your prenatal vitamin every day.
    -Eat protein, calcium, whole grains, fruits, vegetables, healthy fats, iron rich foods to help with the breastfeeding and I believe also to stop you from grazing and eating junk food. That will help you suppress your appetite (it always helps me to make sure to check off the healthy food everyday, rather than thinking about what to cut out. When you are so full after eating the good healthy food, there is no chance to eat unhealthy)

Good luck! You should be so proud of yourself for giving your child the best possible start! :)
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Hi! Breast feeding mom here as well! Do not take appetite suppressants! You can lose weight while nursing! I was then hit a plateau, joined MFP, lost for five weeks and hit another plateau, bumped up my calories and now my milk supply is great, I have energy and I am still losing! I'm off to bed but can chat with you more tomorrow on food ideas!
  • wonderwomanwannaB
    Options
    There are dietitians who specialize in this area and I would highly recommend seeing one. What you eat and supplement can change your milk. This can be taste (making your baby's reaction to it different) and/or nutrition. Your calorie needs are still elevated while breast feeding but there is an amount you can cut back while to reasonably start losing weight. I'd consult with someone before doing anything different than what you learned prenatally, especially if it involves apatite suppression. The long term affects of so many products are unknown and it's not worth the risk to you or your child.

Pop-culture glorifies this immediate bounce back to pre-baby weight etc. but in reality that isn't how the female body was designed and there is a period of recovery for both mommy and baby's well being. Enjoy it :)
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you would if you weren't breastfeeding. Make a 300-500 cal/day allowance for breastfeeding, so you don't tank your supply. Do not carb restrict significantly, as this can also affect supply.
  • SaraJayneJones
    Options
    Hello! Bfing Momma here too! Is there a way to add 300-500 calories onto my food calculator instead of it looking like I'm overeating every day?
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Hello! Bfing Momma here too! Is there a way to add 300-500 calories onto my food calculator instead of it looking like I'm overeating every day?
    If you search for breastfeeding in the food database, you'll find lots of options so you can pick the one that suits your needs the best, if you're exclusively breastfeeding with no solids or formula supplements, you'll want one of the 500 calorie options.

OP - Eat a well balanced diet, I've customized my macro ratios to where I feel best, and my daughter grows best. Take a peak through my diary if you want, it's open to the public.
  • Spanaval
    Options

Yup. It's in the 'food' database, and adds negative calories, giving you a higher allowance.
  • ksohrose
    ksohrose Posts: 4
    Options
    thank you all so much!! i'm still have to look up a dietitian to see if he has a more concrete food group to stay on. i'll have to look into the nursing thing like sara. anyone have any good recipes they could message me? haha
  • ksohrose
    Options
    i see it in the database but i cant see to figure out how to actually add it to my calorie intake stuff
  • Spanaval
    Options
    Just choose it, like you would a food. Instead of subtracting the calories from your daily goal, it will add the calories.
  • ksohrose
    Options
    ty!
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you would if you weren't breastfeeding. Make a 300-500 cal/day allowance for breastfeeding, so you don't tank your supply. Do not carb restrict significantly, as this can also affect supply.

This is great advice. I'm a midwife so I know a few things about breastfeeding. ;-)
  • AbbeyRysMom
    AbbeyRysMom Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of us nursing moms on here! Definitely don't go too low on the cals so you don't lose your supply. Luckily, if you notice a dip, you can always add some more cals :) I'm trying to focus more on exercise than diet, as I'm tandem nursing and well, i eat a lot to keep up with the demand of 2, lol! Fruits, veggies, etc. I wouldn't cut out any entire food groups for the time being, unless of course little one (LO) has tummy troubles with anything.
  • Spanaval
    Options

This is great advice. I'm a midwife so I know a few things about breastfeeding. ;-)

I had massive supply issues, and could write a book on all the 300 things that can affect supply, LOL!
  • kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    -The absolute most important thing is to drink LOTS of fluids. It helps with the supply and also melts the weight away (this is based on personal experience. I drank water all day every day and I wasn't forcing myself, I truly was thirsty all the time)
    -Continue to take your prenatal vitamin every day.
    -Eat protein, calcium, whole grains, fruits, vegetables, healthy fats, iron rich foods to help with the breastfeeding and I believe also to stop you from grazing and eating junk food. That will help you suppress your appetite (it always helps me to make sure to check off the healthy food everyday, rather than thinking about what to cut out. When you are so full after eating the good healthy food, there is no chance to eat unhealthy)

Good luck! You should be so proud of yourself for giving your child the best possible start! :)
    [/quote

ITA. If you are eating healthy foods there is less chance that you are going to be ravenous and over your calorie goal. Make sure you add the extra 500 calories if you are exclusively breastfeeding.

You can either choose a breastfeeding "food" or "activity" that will subtract the 500 calories from your daily total but I ended up just changing my calorie goal so that my macros were more accurate.