I need help with late night munchies

Options
nahid101
nahid101 Posts: 18 Member
I need to lose 50lbs, I need to deal with hunger pains and late night cravings. Please help

Replies

• zen_mama
    zen_mama Posts: 51
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? I find that if I drink a large glass of water (12-16 oz) after dinner while I'm watching tv, I am less prone to snack because my belly feels full. Also, staying well hydrated is essential to helping your body flush out salts and fats and keeping your digestion flowing.
  • meljane1992
    meljane1992 Posts: 16
    Options
    def agree with zen_mama.
    When ever i feel like im going to snack after hours i have a big glass of water and if i still get hungry i always make sure i have some light water crackers and tuna in the pantry, id rather eat protein then chips and chocolate =)
  • brizzy4baby
    Options
    Hiii! I have the exact same issue ! I found that if i drink a hot cup of green tea ( decaffeinated if your one of those people who are easily kept up... im not :)) not only does it keep me feleing full but also it is great for your metabolism!
  • Babyfaith15
    Options
    I usually don;t crave for food at night but evening before dinner prior to my work out has been hard to control....any tips on that ?
  • theecookimonstr
    theecookimonstr Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I always drink tea after dinner, before going to bed and it makes me feel good and takes away the cravings :).

I'm doing the hcg diet so I definitely can't cheat.
  • meljane1992
    meljane1992 Posts: 16
    Options
    Hiii! I have the exact same issue ! I found that if i drink a hot cup of green tea ( decaffeinated if your one of those people who are easily kept up... im not :)) not only does it keep me feleing full but also it is great for your metabolism!

YUMMO GREEN TEA is awesome!
    Definatley a recommendation.
  • brizzy4baby
    Options
    yesss oolong tea is also amazing and it is also supposed to be really good for you metabolism , you can find it at any grocery store !
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    save a few hundred for snacks. I generally have 400 or 500 calories before bed. it's fine, and won't impact anything. just make it fit.
  • giggles7706
    giggles7706 Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options

This. :)
  • MoonShadow_1au
    MoonShadow_1au Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I had this exact problem. It was caused by bordem where I was eating to keep myself awake at night. TV was just not that exciting to take my attention away from the fridge.

While going to bed earlier would be a solution I found another ..... XBox. Playing that at night occupies both hands and I totally forget about the fridge.
  • mquarry
    mquarry Posts: 21
    Options
    After I eat dinner, I drink 16 oz of water. It helps fully fill me up. If I am still hungry a few hours later, I have an ounce of cheese of my choice, and then I am fine. :)
  • christyd4
    christyd4 Posts: 191
    Options
    Get some of the MILO (or a generic version) it will add some sweetness to the water but I agree that try drinking some water first before reaching for a snack or if you feel like you have to eat something make sure to keep plenty of fruit in the fridge :) I also leave enough calories each night that after my workout I "reward" myself with a glass of lowfat chocolate milk. Just some of the things that I use because night snacks was/is an issue for me too!
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I eat 200ish calories within 30 minutes of going to bed pretty much every night. helps with my early morning workouts or just not scrambling for breakfast first thing when I get up.
  • happypath101
    happypath101 Posts: 534
    Options
    Something hot really works for me. I am in the habit of setting the kettle to boil as I make dinner. I make a big pot of green tea and sip on it all night. It keeps me from feeling the need to nosh. If I REALLY am hungry, here's some things I like to have at night:

* Nuke some skim milk, add vanilla and/or a bit of cinammon. It's surprising how much this will fill you up.
    * Low cal lemon youghurt and 2 low fat graham crackers. (It's almost like lemon meringue pie! :O)
    * carrots and hummus. (sp?)

Good luck! (BTW: If you're not eat breakfast, you might want to try to change that. I never used to eat breaky at all. I found that when I changed that habit, my night-time munchies went away. Now I consume most of my calories early in the day. Honestly, I don't think much about food at night - and I really used to.)
  • dalessi123
    dalessi123 Posts: 22
    Options

Just started doing this to keep me full and its working!! Love it :)
  • aldal83
    aldal83 Posts: 6
    Options
    I also have this problem and so far haven't found a solution that really works.

I hate water and couldn't drink it plain, i always drink diet fizzy juices and hot peppermint and fruit teas, i also hate the taste of green tea!

I drink big cups of tea if i get hungry but it doesn't really do much to fill me up, or take my mind away from food, plus it makes me go to the toilet LOTS!!!
  • dawnrenee567
    dawnrenee567 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Water has never helped me. I just allow for extra calories at the end of my day. If I want a nibble of something I have the numbers to do so.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    If your really hungry and night you need to look at the cause of the issue instead of trying to fix it afterwards.

More than likely it's what you have (or haven't) been eating during that day that is the problem. A small increase in the portion size of your daily meals plus increasing your protein intake will keep you fuller for longer.

Having said that, the whole "carbs at night turn straight into fat" argument is nonsense so a meal later on in he day is not really a huge issue(provided it fits into your daily macro goals), but it can be inconvenient.
  • mmwhaley0829
    Options
    I work nights but still eat regular meals during the day. I keep 100 calorie snack packs on hand. The may be more expensive, but eating one of them is best for me - because if I open a big bag - i'm gonna eat the whole bag. This way if I just choose a 100 calorie bag with a big glass of water- then I get full and have still satisfied my craving for a snack and most important- I didn't overeat!!!
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I've been killing a serving of Fiber Plus Cinnamon Oats (dry) at night. Or Chocolate Cheerios. 110 Calories. Satisfies