Not understanding the burn more cals then u eat!?!?!

Options
IM ALL FOR THE EAT MORE NO JOKE, BUT.............................
This is super confusing to me??
So If MFP says to eat 1400 calories per day without exercise cuz thats around where my BMR Is, then I meet that amount.
then I workout and I EARN calories.. AND I eat some of those back. Depending on if im hungry or not...
HOW then, am I burning more calories than I ate?

If I eat back my exercise calories then am I not just putting myself back to where I started????
so, I did a check and I am suppose to be around like 1,900 calories per day or so Insanity says that for my intake... But would I just eat that amount or that + calories earned??
I just dont get it at all.. If I eat too little I GAIN WEIGHT.. If I eat in the middle I MAINTAIN my weight (WHICH IS NOT WHAT I WANT, I WANT TO LOSE WEIGHT..)
So, I should eat way more than I already am now?
CAN ANYONE HELP ME HERE? To help me understand WHAT my BMR and TDEE are and what to do?
I have tried numerous sites and some say to eat 1,700 others say up to 2,100.. CONFUSED :/

Heres my info:
height: 5'2
weight: 139
goal weight: 120
yea female.. and my lifestyle is sedentary I sit on my butt all day UNLESS ITS WORKOUT TIME! THEN I GO AT IT HARD 6DAYS A WK, FOR 40MINUTES A DAY.. Sometimes 2x per day

HELP WITH THIS WOULD BE AMAZING :)

Replies

• bmgnedra
    bmgnedra Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This is the same question I have basically as well. For one, I have been pretty satisfied with my intake so adding my workout calories seems unnecessary, but MFP says I am under my goal. I have been eating a lot of greens, salads, kale, broccoli etc... and they are all fairly low calorie, but filling. Adding back the calories from my work out.... I can't even think of what more I would eat that is healthy.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    IM ALL FOR THE EAT MORE NO JOKE, BUT.............................
    This is super confusing to me??
    So If MFP says to eat 1400 calories per day without exercise cuz thats around where my BMR Is, then I meet that amount.
    then I workout and I EARN calories.. AND I eat some of those back. Depending on if im hungry or not...
    HOW then, am I burning more calories than I ate?

If I eat back my exercise calories then am I not just putting myself back to where I started????
    so, I did a check and I am suppose to be around like 1,900 calories per day or so Insanity says that for my intake... But would I just eat that amount or that + calories earned??
    I just dont get it at all.. If I eat too little I GAIN WEIGHT.. If I eat in the middle I MAINTAIN my weight (WHICH IS NOT WHAT I WANT, I WANT TO LOSE WEIGHT..)
    So, I should eat way more than I already am now?
    CAN ANYONE HELP ME HERE? To help me understand WHAT my BMR and TDEE are and what to do?
    I have tried numerous sites and some say to eat 1,700 others say up to 2,100.. CONFUSED :/

Heres my info:
    height: 5'2
    weight: 139
    goal weight: 120
    yea female.. and my lifestyle is sedentary I sit on my butt all day UNLESS ITS WORKOUT TIME! THEN I GO AT IT HARD 6DAYS A WK, FOR 40MINUTES A DAY.. Sometimes 2x per day

HELP WITH THIS WOULD BE AMAZING :)

Your TDEE = number of calories you burn in a typical day. This includes your BMR (base metabolic rate, the number of calories you would burn TO EXIST) & your NEAT (non exercise physical activity such as fidgeting, getting up to get coffee, etc).

So for a sedentary person with a BMR of 1400 calories, your TDEE might be 1700 calories without exercise. MFP will subtract a certain number of calories from that to set as your calorie GOAL - this will give you the deficit you require to lose the amount of weight you want to in a week WITHOUT exercise.

When you exercise, you add additional calories to that TDEE. That means you can eat those calories back and still achieve the same deficit as if you had not exercised at all.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    This is the same question I have basically as well. For one, I have been pretty satisfied with my intake so adding my workout calories seems unnecessary, but MFP says I am under my goal. I have been eating a lot of greens, salads, kale, broccoli etc... and they are all fairly low calorie, but filling. Adding back the calories from my work out.... I can't even think of what more I would eat that is healthy.

Plenty of foods you can eat. Not sure what you consider 'healthy' but you will still lose weight if you choose to use up some of those calories to eat some icecream, for example.
  • peaceinside
    peaceinside Posts: 272
    Options
    Bump
  • BrionyTallis
    BrionyTallis Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    bump
  • palak126
    palak126 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I was confused about this when I first joined so what I did is I set my goals first while putting in my exercise time 3x a week for 60 mins and checked the calories it told me I should consume. Then I set my exercise to none and checked my calories to consume and they were the same as with exercise. This means MFP does not account for your exercise when it counts the amount of calories you should be consuming. It calculates based on your lifestyle setting and your weightloss/gain goals. This is the reason you have to eat back your exercise calories. Your TDEE is 3 things, BMR, lifestyle and exercise. What I believe MFP does is separate your BMR and lifestyle into one calorie count (the amount you should consume) and the exercise is what gets added on when you actually do it. So this is why you have to eat back your exercise calories thereby making your NET consumed what MFP had set for you. So your total calories after eating back your exercise calories will be your TDEE and your NET calories will be what MFP had set for you.
  • secretgirl4611
    secretgirl4611 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone :) MFP set me for 1400 per day then when I workout that def. goes up from 1400-1600 and I eat my exercise calories back if my tummy grumbles... :) Just weighed in today and lost an aditional 3 pounds.. So, I think for me THE WEIGHT IS JUST COMMING OFF SLOW, prob becuz I dont have that much to lose in the beginning..