1230 Calories... HELP!

Why is it do hard for me to stick to only 1230 calories? That seems so low. Does anyone have any "fill up" tricks for low calories??? I always feel hungry.

Plus, I know if I workout I can have more calories but I still want to go over the recommendation.

HELP!!!

Replies

• KrisKabob
    KrisKabob Posts: 1,250 Member
    Why is it do hard for me to stick to only 1230 calories? That seems so low. Does anyone have any "fill up" tricks for low calories??? I always feel hungry.

Plus, I know if I workout I can have more calories but I still want to go over the recommendation.

HELP!!!
  • mknott
    mknott Posts: 17
    All I know is that protein and high fiber help you feel full. Try hard-boiled eggs, whole wheat toast, lowfat string cheese, lowfat cottage cheese, things like that to eat for snacks throughout the day. Eat a lot of small meals. Make sure you drink a lot of water throughout the day. I notice if I eat high carb meals (NOT with whole grain) then I am hungry all day. And I notice if I don't drink my water religiously then I definitely feel more hungry throughout the day also. Try to stay away from sugar and complex carbs as much as you can. Focus on protein, whole grains, fresh fruit and fresh vegetables. There are many web sites with good tips on this topic too! Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • KrisKabob
    KrisKabob Posts: 1,250 Member
    Thanks... great advice. I will try to follow these guidelines. Thank you for the help!
  • Try drinking some hot green tea. It really helps curb my hunger.
  • mknott
    mknott Posts: 17
    I am kind of in the same boat as you right now... my daily calorie allowance is going down and some days I feel hungry - which is how I came to discover what foods work to make me feel full and what doesn't work... so after I posted my first reply to you I did some searching and found this article I wanted to share: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/weight-loss/NU00195

Good luck again! I am off to battle my plateau. :wink:
  • melissa73
    melissa73 Posts: 368
    Whenever I am hungery I always drink a glass of water first. Sometimes it is just thurst. I keep carrots, apples, grapes and nuts handy. I was the type that was always eating a handful of some snack food. It is hard to break that habit. But your body will adjust. Good luck. Melissa
  • Jewlz
    Jewlz Posts: 135
    Fiber one cereal is awsome! 1/2 cup is 60 calories and it fills you up for hours. any foods that are high in fiber will leave you feeling satisfied:wink:
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    I try to stick with around 250 for breakfast and 250 for lunch and 500 for dinner this leaves you with 230 for snacks. (Obviously these are rough estimates). Then I figure out what I can eat within these guidelines.
    I eat the same things for breakfast or lunch a lot. Usually breakfast is 3/4 cup of egg beaters 90 calories, I add veggies to this, sometimes a lowfat/fat free cheese. Turkey bacon 3 thin slices 50 calories. Either that or I eat 250 calories worth of cereal and ff milk.
    Lunch I ususally start with 2 slices of low cal bread (80 to 100 cals for both slices) I eat tuna a lot with low cal mayo. Sometimes turkey. I beef it up with cucumber slices and lettuce. Mustard is low cal too. Or I do a frozen meal with a veggie side
    For dinner I eat whatever everyone else is eating although I check out the portion size and base my meal on that and then add healthy sides to fill me up.
    Snacks are popcorn, fruit, sugar free popscicles, pretzels or whatever.
    You just have to figure out what works for you and portion it correctly
    My fillers are mostly veggies: eggplant, cucumber, letttuce, peppers, squash, asparagus. I use low calorie dressing to dress these up. I also use popcorn and tofu shirataki noodles.

Good luck. I hope this helps
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Bananas.
    Very filling and good for you.
    Any other fresh fruit or veggie is good too.
    However, apples and grapes tend to just go through without much of a filling effect. (Mostly water)
    If you need something a little more grainy, try rice cakes, quaker does a good job with their "quakes" flavored mini rice cakes. only 70 calories a serving. Just remember stick to the serving size!
  • DRINK PLENTY WATER AND ALSO GRAPEFRUIT JUICES MAKES ME FEEL FU:happy: LL!
  • i love eatting raw veggies and salads but the salad dressings and dips havea high calorie count. When I was at the store I found Walden Farms calorie free dressing. You can save up to 10,000 calories a month by switching and they have every kind imaginable. I recommend the ceasar and ranch dressings - you can't even taste the difference.
  • Simple....just eat smaller snack-like meals and it will be easier to monitor. Also, stick to higher calorie foods with more protein.
  • hmmmm
    i love eatting raw veggies and salads but the salad dressings and dips havea high calorie count. When I was at the store I found Walden Farms calorie free dressing. You can save up to 10,000 calories a month by switching and they have every kind imaginable. I recommend the ceasar and ranch dressings - you can't even taste the difference.
    Are these really calorie free? If so I am there. Lol if not how many are in say the ranch dressing?? Did you get this from the regular supermarket or a specialty store.
  • ligytha
    ligytha Posts: 130
    i love eatting raw veggies and salads but the salad dressings and dips havea high calorie count. When I was at the store I found Walden Farms calorie free dressing. You can save up to 10,000 calories a month by switching and they have every kind imaginable. I recommend the ceasar and ranch dressings - you can't even taste the difference.
    Are these really calorie free? If so I am there. Lol if not how many are in say the ranch dressing?? Did you get this from the regular supermarket or a specialty store.

From the regular Shaws/Albertsons. I have the Caesar one right here. Here are the ingredients:
    purified triple filtered water, white vinegar, cellulose gel, salt, buttermilk powder, anchovies, cheese flavor, garlic, lactic acid, onion, natural flavors, natural spices, lactic acid, xanthan gum, propylene glycol alginate, sodium benzoate, food color, sucralose.

(propylene glycol alginate is not anti-freeze and is recognised as safe for daily consumption by the FDA and WHO. In fact, it can help inhibit absorption of the toxic element Strontium)
  • They are amazing. Everything Walden Farms makes are Carbohydrate Free Sugar Free Cholesterol Free Gluten Free Calorie Free Fat Free.

The website gives you links to stores near you or you can even order online.
    http://www.waldenfarms.com/

I recommend their tomato pasta sauce and BBQ sauce- it is a bit spicy and then also the dressings. I am not a big fan of their jams or peanut butter (they taste too much like splenda)

I even looked at some of the diet menus they offer on line and they sound really good.
  • hmmmm
    Wow thanks I just looked it up on dailyplate.com and I see they have pancake syrup, ranch, bleu cheese, a bacon dressing, apple butter and alfredo sauce all for zero calorie that's amazing. I know fda allows less than 4 calories a serving to be considered calorie free but that is still is amazing. I think they sell it at the fruit and veggie store by me. Thanks I am pysched about this now.