Biggest Loser...

Options
Has anyone been watching this??? It is so crazy that they lose so much per week. I can't decide if it's inspiration to me, or if it just brings me down, lol. I really don't think I would be able to lose that much, or even want to becuase it would prob be unhealthy. The episode last night, a women lost four pounds in the previous week and everyone (the team) was upset as well as here for losing so little. FOUR pounds in one week is GREAT, lol. And then I beleive somone lost like 22 pounds in one week...that's like 88 pounds in ONE month and that seems so impossible. I really think it's unhealthy for them and that a lot of them are going to gain some of it back especially if their bodies go into starvation mode.

Replies

• Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    It's an amazing show, that's for sure.
    They really lose an unbelievable amount in the first weeks. It's taken me months to lose what they dropped in a few days.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,004 Member
    Options
    I just watched The Biggest Loser for the first time, too. They are under medical supervision and dedicate all day every day to losing weight. Sure it is unrealistic. but it's not impossible. They seem to be learning the basics about healthy eating (a lot like what we all have been learning on MFP) but I wonder what will happen when they return to their real life with their family and friends who live on soda, chips, beer, ice cream, and fast food.

Enjoy the show if you want to, but get your real inspiration from people on MFP who live in the real world like you.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • jclguru
    jclguru Posts: 123
    Options
    I'm curious on one thing from week 2...

The one challenge they won included a phone call home. Why is something like that restricted? Does making or receiving a phone call add calories :tongue:

I can understand blocking local calls to the nearest pizza hut, but to relatives?

Doug
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Last week Julio lost 13 pounds, and everyone was so disappointed in him. Only on the Biggest Loser would a 13 pound loss not be enough. Crazy.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I'm curious on one thing from week 2...

The one challenge they won included a phone call home. Why is something like that restricted? Does making or receiving a phone call add calories :tongue:

I can understand blocking local calls to the nearest pizza hut, but to relatives?

Doug

I would imagine they limit contact with the outside world to make sure the results don't get leaked, and perhaps to make them work harder in the challenges in hopes of earning contact with loved ones.
  • Biggest losers promotes unhealthy way to lose weight, unrealistic for normal average people.
    4 lbs is not much if a person is 350 lbs or more. The percentage of weight loss is more important.
    I can easily lose 26 lbs by xgiving since I'm 50 lbs overweight but for a person who is only 20 lbs to lose, they probably can lose 10 lbs.

Watching that show does motivate me lose weight tho.
  • Shelley130
    Options
    Biggest losers promotes unhealthy way to lose weight,

Yeah, all that healthy eating and exercise.... wait a minute.... that's what we're doing....
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    you can do it . :laugh: you do a couple of exercise tapes in the morning than you clean the kitchen living room bathroms the four bedroom take care of the pets the kids the husband plus work eight hours you will be burning more calories then you know what to with and eat your 1200 calories a day .it really is enough food if you eat right . do abs trust me you might be tired at frist but the more muscle you make the more energy you will have and you can keep up with the biggest losers doing the chores you should do every day:drinker:
  • angelisis
    Options
    That's what we're doing but not at that rate. They exercise hours a day and eat given portions of food that they don't really have to go out and shop for. The huge weight drops in the lst week when someone is so overweight as these people are is a lot of water weight. Not 30lbs worth of course but a big percentage is fluid loss. The more you weigh the more you lose in the beginning. As you will notice as their weight gets closer to goal they will lose less and less weight in a weeks time.:happy:
  • angelisis
    Options
    Any way you cut it, it's 3500 calories cut to lose a pound of weight. So figure that at 10 lbs in one week, they sure aren't cutting out 35,000 calories to lose 10lbs or exercising to burn it off at that rate. Some of it is water.
  • lizzys
    Options
    when your that big the frist 25-50 pounds can be water and no most people are not doing what they are .theri not doing as much exercise as you think theri doing they are working hard for short periords at a time theri bodys are so use to being stationary that a littel work races up theri metabolism and they get ride of everthing that why they get sick as they lose weight they can work harder it allso release a hormone that make you feel good thats how alot of people get addicted to exercise they dont let tham call theri familiy being over weight has a lot to do with theri home life they want to keep tham focused
  • Grate
    Grate Posts: 71
    Options
    I believe the women eat 1200 cals per day and the men 1800 cals per day, but it's the exercise. They burn that and more each day, so they exercising all the cals they eat in a day. I would die if I had to do that program. The 1200 cals is no big deal, been doing that for months, but to exercise like that would do me in
  • lizzys
    Options
    never never tell your self you cant do something because you can the thing they have that we dont are trainers its easy for us to slack off next weeks preview theri not going to have than i have to work my butt off to keep up