Headaches

Options
Good Morning MFPs

I have been on this journey for 3 weeks now. I have gone from 220-209.8 (as of this morning). I am extremely hapy with the outcomes of just eating right, not a lot of exersice. I guess the question is, I have been getting up with bad heachaches that last me at least 3 hours. What am I doing wrong?? Has anybody experienced that in the past?? Is there something I can do before bed? or when i get up?? Help please.

Replies

• roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too - I have headaches that last all night and into the next day.

I think my problem is that sometimes I don't eat enough. Maybe try eating a bit more (healthy fats always help me - avocados, peanut butter etc) and see if that helps?
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Have you cut anything completely out of your diet that you would normally have on a daily basis?
  • anitas4512
    anitas4512 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? Are you eating enough? Is there a new food you added to your diet during those three weeks? (Food intolerances could cause headaches.)
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I have headaches too, but have tried to find a trigger between my diet and HA's but have not been able to. I logged my headaches to see if it was something I was eating or doing, and no solution! At first I thought it was caffeine or the fact that I was eating unhealthy foods, but not.....I eat very healthy now and I still get them. I just take excedrin migraine. If I feel one coming on I take it right then and do not let it get bad. You might try taking something like advil or tylenol before you go to bed and see if you wake up headache free.

Good Luck!!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It's probably a diet factor somewhere. If you used to drink a lot of soda and now don't, then that can be an issue as you will get caffeine withdrawl. Also under eating is a possibility. If I don't get at least 2000+ calories, my body is fighting me.
  • Fitchelonga
    Fitchelonga Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have cut down sweets and im not eating after 7. As before, i used to eat at any time and sweets before bed.
  • Fitchelonga
    Options
    I have headaches too, but have tried to find a trigger between my diet and HA's but have not been able to. I logged my headaches to see if it was something I was eating or doing, and no solution! At first I thought it was caffeine or the fact that I was eating unhealthy foods, but not.....I eat very healthy now and I still get them. I just take excedrin migraine. If I feel one coming on I take it right then and do not let it get bad. You might try taking something like advil or tylenol before you go to bed and see if you wake up headache free.

Good Luck!!
    [Will try this. Thank you]
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have cut down sweets and im not eating after 7. As before, i used to eat at any time and sweets before bed.

Well the withdrawl from the sugar can do it. Sugar and caffeine can be very addictive due to the chemical makeup.

Also, it's ok to eat after 7pm. Your body doesn't know what time it is and even if you eat a huge meal right before bed, it will metabolize the food the same. That's a tv myth.

ps- how many calories are you eating?
  • Fitchelonga
    Options
    It's probably a diet factor somewhere. If you used to drink a lot of soda and now don't, then that can be an issue as you will get caffeine withdrawl. Also under eating is a possibility. If I don't get at least 2000+ calories, my body is fighting me.
    Yes, I cut the soda yes! Haha and i'm not drinking so much coffee either, just a cup in the morning. You think cafeinne might be the issue??
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I struggled with headaches for a long time and unfortunately headaches can be a sign of many things. Sometimes it's a sign of dehydration, make sure you're getting enough water during the day and maybe keep a bottle by the bed so you can drink some right away when you wake up. it could be something you're doing during your workout that's putting stress on your back/neck/shoulders so be sure to use correct form and stretch. It could be your pillow, try using a pillow that's taller/smaller/cushier/firmer. For me sometimes it's more comfortable to sleep without one. it could be something you're eating that your body isn't used to or can't tolerate. Artificial sweeteners can cause headaches but it could also be an intolerance to any number of items that you're eating more of now. Wheat, eggs, nuts, and milk are common culprits. It could also be an increase or decrease in caffeine consumption. It could also be any number of vitamin overdoses or deficiencies. Unfortunately it's probably going to be trial and error just keep an eye on what you do before bed (since they happen in the morning), during the night (maybe you carry tension while you sleep) and what you do in the morning before and after they go away. Maybe you can eliminate what is triggering them.

I was having bad headaches for a while and I finally linked it to dairy consumption. Once I eliminated it I didn't have the headaches anymore and actually my skin cleared up and my outdoor allergies went away! score!:drinker: Now I know my body can't tolerate it for some reason and even if I consume a little bit the headaches come right back. Good luck!
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Yes, I cut the soda yes! Haha and i'm not drinking so much coffee either, just a cup in the morning. You think cafeinne might be the issue??

I definitely think caffeine is the issue. Try drinking iced tea or something (less sodium than sodas). cut back on the caffeine more gradually and you won't have the headaches.
  • Fitchelonga
    Options

Well the withdrawl from the sugar can do it. Sugar and caffeine can be very addictive due to the chemical makeup.

Also, it's ok to eat after 7pm. Your body doesn't know what time it is and even if you eat a huge meal right before bed, it will metabolize the food the same. That's a tv myth.

ps- how many calories are you eating?
  • Katiemarie4488
    Katiemarie4488 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    http://www.caffeinedependence.org/caffeine_dependence.html

The caffeine withdrawal syndrome has been well-characterized in numerous rigorous double-blind studies. The potential for caffeine withdrawal to cause clinically significant distress or impairment in functioning is reflected by the inclusion of caffeine withdrawal as an official diagnosis in ICD-10 (World Health Organization) and as a proposed diagnosis in DSM-IV (American Psychiatric Association). Although most research on withdrawal has been performed with adults, there is also evidence that children experience withdrawal effects during caffeine abstinence.

Signs and symptoms. The most commonly reported withdrawal symptoms are listed below:

Headache – (often described as being gradual in development and diffuse, and sometimes throbbing and severe)

Fatigue -- (e.g., fatigue, tiredness, lethargy, sluggishness)

Sleepiness/drowsiness -- (e.g., sleepy, drowsy, yawning)

Difficulty concentrating -- (e.g., muzzy)

Work difficulty -- (e.g., decreased motivation for tasks/work)

Irritability -- (e.g., irritable, cross, miserable, decreased well-being/contentedness)

Depression -- (e.g., depressed mood)

Anxiety -- (e.g., anxious, nervous)

Flu-like symptoms -- (e.g., nausea/vomiting, muscle aches/stiffness, hot and cold spells, heavy feelings in arms or legs)

Impairment in psychomotor, vigilance and cognitive performances

Caffeine is the most commonly used mood-altering drug in the world. Caffeine is found in numerous plants, the most widely consumed being coffee, tea, cola nut, cocao pod, guarana, and maté. It is estimated that in North America between 80 and 90 percent of adults and children habitually consume caffeine. About 15% of the general population report having stopped caffeine use completely, citing concern about health and unpleasant side effects.
  • Rocking_Robin
    Rocking_Robin Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • selfishshellfish
    Options
    I get migraine, and when I first started trying to lose weight I used to wake up with a migraine at the weekends (when I sleep 2-3 hours more than was usual in the week).

Eating a snack about 30 minutes before bed seemed to cure that.

Depending on what time you eat dinner, the gap between dinner and breakfast (especially if dinner has been very light) might just be a bit much for your body to handle.

Give it a try and see how you fare.

Btw, I've found the 'don't eat at night or you won't lose weight' cliche to be completely untrue.
  • whitleynoel
    whitleynoel Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Did you cut out soda? Could just be a caffiene headache...
  • betsy329
    betsy329 Posts: 61 Member
    Options

When i started 5 weeks ago, I gave up pop, and cut my coffee down to one cup in the morning. That gave me pretty rotten headaches. I changed it up, and now drink 1 cup of coffee in the morning, and 1 in the afternoon. Now I don't get the headaches, and only drink coffee in the afternoon when I need a pick-me-up. You kinda have to wein (wien?) yourself off.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? Are you eating enough? Is there a new food you added to your diet during those three weeks? (Food intolerances could cause headaches.)

This exctly! If you switched from regular soda to diet for instance. Some people have an intolerance for artificial sweeteners like aspartame and it can cause migraines.

Dehydration also causes headaches. Think of it like this, when you are hydrated your blood is watery and doesn't put as much pressure on the blood vessels, but if you are dehydrated your blood is thicker putting more pressure on the blood vessels and thereby causing a headaches. (I'm sure scientifically it isn't exactly like this, but I think it is a good illustration).
  • angrydolly
    angrydolly Posts: 22
    Options
    If you cut soda and coffee AND sugar it's likely related to that.

I can not imagine what would happen if I removed coffee. I can live without sweets and soda, but no coffee and I'd be in a rehab facility.

I'm not sure what your caffeine consumption used to be? Maybe, try eating one or two squares of dark chocolate with a cup of coffee sometime after dinner but enough before bed that it won't mess up your sleep? Or maybe in the morning instead?
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    It could be the change in your diet..or...thyroid. I have hypothyroid and the first symptoms was headaches. Hope you feel better soon.