Heart rate - what's too much?

Options
hdsqrl
hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
I've sure we've all seen the charts that show your target heart rates based on age: For me, at age 40, my supposed fat-burning rate is 118, and my cardio rate is 144. The owner of my gym told me that fat-burning rate is a load of hogwash, and to really aim for the cardio rate instead. I just got the Polar FT4 and love-love it, as it's nice to see my heart rate at any given time, regardless of where it sits on the chart.

Well. Last night, I hopped on the stair climber thing for 10 minutes, and that thing just kicks my behind. My heart rate was hovering around 159 for most of those 10 minutes, but according to the HRM, the top rate I hit at some point was 169. I relayed this info to my husband with a bit of pride, and he told me that I really ought to slow it down, that I could bring on a heart attack, etc. He's all in favor of me getting into shape, so it wasn't said to discourage me - he genuinely was concerned that I'd pushed my heart too much.

I suppose I should mention that my mother's side of the family has a history of heart issues, but her side also has a history of addiction to various things as well. It could have been the addictions that affected the hearts, yes? Thus far, I've had no heart troubles. My BP is always in the normal range as well.

Thoughts? Is it dangerous to stray too outside the range of those charts on the wall? Obviously I couldn't (wouldn't) continue at that 169 pace for an hour, let alone continue at the 159 pace for an hour...but am I being unwise to even allow my heart to beat at that rate at all?

Replies

• peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I don't see it being a problem. Given your family history, pushing your heart like that is probably a great way to stay healthy. Let your body tell you what you are capable of doing.

Also, maybe ask a doc about it. Everyone on here is knowledgable in their own way, but some stuff you shouldn't trust to anyone but a professional.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't think so. Like you said, you're not maintaining that high rate for a longer period of time. How old are you? It doesn't even seem THAT high to me. My average heart rate when I go running is anywhere from 160 to 170. That's the AVERAGE! My max can get up to the low 190's sometimes. Once I cross the 190 threshold, I know it's time to slow down. I'm 37.
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Thanks, seriously. I thought it was okay, too - (I'm 40, btw), and figured that I would notice if I felt it was too much. Honestly, going that high helped to bring on the endorphins that helped me make it the last few minutes, too. I'll ask my doc the next time I go, but until then won't worry too much about it. :)
  • cbart2818
    cbart2818 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Boy - My heart must need a lot of work.... Im 27, 5'7, 160 and my max heart rate is 188 when in cardio. With that being said my resting heart rate sits at about 77-80. Even when I go for a walk, it get in and around 130 pending on how fast I walk.

This scares me a little - but I was quite inactive before, so I am hoping with what i do now, my heart will get stronger. My doctor has never mentioned, nor been concerned. Hmmmm perhaps I should ask her again.
  • mewaybright
    mewaybright Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Take a look at this website to figure out where you should be working out at:

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/hrm1.htm

I am 53 with a resting HR of 49 and I usually work out in the 150 - 165 range although I try to stay in the 150 - 160 range when I can... depending on the workout. Some days I have an anemic routine which averages out to be in the mid to upper 130’s. I generally look at my average for an hour of working out which is usually around 145 to 148 with a high of 166.

Hope this helps.
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    220-your age. Going above it you risk death.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I'm 36 and can easily get my HR up into the 180s during cardio without feeling uncomfortable. My resting rate is 58.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options

Risk death?! Elaborate please. Before I got into better condition I could get my HR over 190 without much effort. I'm still here. By your numbers I shouldn't top 184, which I do nearly every time I take my bike out and do sprints.
  • Vaibhav_ace
    Vaibhav_ace Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My resting heart rate is around 48 - 50, but when I am doing cardio, I try to keep myself in or around 180-185. I actually try and never let it go below 160s while I am working out.

I haven't felt like I am going to have a heart attack :P

But I like pushing the envelope as far as I can.
  • RDalton84
    RDalton84 Posts: 207
    Options
    When I do Zumba for an hour it's no uncommon for my HR to get up into the 180's, but usually stays in the 160's and 170's...I am 28
  • Ladyiianae
    Ladyiianae Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    It's GOOD to push! When I run hard there are times my heart rate gets to 181! Granted I can't sustain that but it's GOOD to push to that at times.

My resting is 66-68

I am anywhere between 140-150 during most of my Elliptical

I start my Elliptical (first 10-15 minutes) at about 119-128 (hard for me to keep in this range, I feel like it's more work to keep it low, I LOVE pushing it high)

My trainer is impressed because mine can get so high but then recover SUPER fast. Not sure WHY he's impressed as I don't completely understand any of it but if he's happy that makes me happy =)
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    im a 26 year old (recovering from major surgery 8 weeks ago) and i decoded to go hiking up a peak on Monday. I was doing this regularly before i got ill, but have lost my fitness. My heart rate was 180 for atleast an hour. I was quite happy about this as my calories burnt was great. My very wise mfp friend told me its way too much, it wont help me to loose weight and i would burn myself out. I gained 2.4lbs this week despite being so well behaved on my diet! I have also felt weak and unwell all week. Was definitely too much! Ive learnt my lesson... x
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I am 43 and do not feel anything at all when my heart rate is 113, I do not even break a sweat. I did not start seeing a major change to my body until I started running and got my heart rate up between 168 and 178, and like you, those endorphins I get are what pushes me through the next couple of miles.

I think, due to your family history, you really should consult a doctor about what is right for you, maybe even do a stress test if you have insurance. Seriously, owning a gym does not make anyone an authority on anything, nor does having a little piece of paper stating that some one is a personal trainer.

Kudos to you in what you are doing, exercise rocks.
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    My resting heart rate is 50-55, and often get in to the 170s or 180s when working hard. I am 38 years old. I really don't think you are in any danger, 160s seem pretty normal to me, but if you are concerned, make a call to your doctor (or if it makes your husband feel better!).
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I'm 38 and when I'm running, I'm routinely in the high 160s to low 170s. I will hit this high on maximal effort with weight lifting as well. I find that once I hit about 172 I can't sustain that amount of effort for more than a few minutes without a break, my cardio-respiratory system is screaming. I've been pushing myself to this limit for 5 months now, and although it takes more effort to get there now than it did when I started, I'm not dead yet.
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Questions regarding heart safety should be presented to a Doctor.

But I've heard that 190 beats per minute is a danger zone.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options

Risk death?! Elaborate please. Before I got into better condition I could get my HR over 190 without much effort. I'm still here. By your numbers I shouldn't top 184, which I do nearly every time I take my bike out and do sprints.

Trust me, if your heart rate got up to 220, you would feel like it was beating out of your chest.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Ignore HR zones, and workout as hard as you can sustain for the planned duration of your workout.
  • andeey
    andeey Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I had a concern about this, too, when I joined a gym and my heart felt like it was bursting out of my chest, plus a family history of heart issues. I went to my regular doctor and he referred me to a cardiologist who did a complete work-up, including a treadmill stress test (getting my HR up to 180) and everything has come back just fine and I'll tell you, it's given me a huge weigh off my shoulders. Maybe just get a cardiologist to check you out at some point to assure your husband and yourself.
  • Vaibhav_ace
    Vaibhav_ace Posts: 93 Member
    Options

By this estimate, I should have been dead a few hundred times a year. I get into mid-190s every other day. Its not long sustained heart rate and it would be impossible for me to maintain that for more than 20 seconds, but it happens all the time.

What do I do to get that high heart rate? Insanity, or just running with my dog (Husky).