Banana = Sleeping Pill in a Peel? True/False?

AimersBee
AimersBee Posts: 775 Member
Someone at my work who deals with safety at the work place (can be a dangerous work place) was talking about how we shouldn't be eating bananas at work due to it having something in it to make you really sleepy. I'd look it up, but I figure I'd get opinions on here first :)

Thanks!

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    This is pretty easy to test. Eat a banana.

Maybe it affects your coworker that way but no.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Never heard that. They don't have that effect on me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    Someone at my work who deals with safety at the work place (can be a dangerous work place) was talking about how we shouldn't be eating bananas at work due to it having something in it to make you really sleepy. I'd look it up, but I figure I'd get opinions on here first :)

Thanks!
    Sounds like crap to me. If that were the case, we'd probably have a bunch of sleepy gym rats after eating a banana.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • AimersBee
    http://www.realage.com/insomnia-and-sleep-problems/top-10-foods-for-a-good-nights-sleep

I guess that's where they got it from.. good source/bad source?
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    If that were the case, I should've been comatose for most of my teenage years. I used to eat like a dozen bananas in one sitting (wish I could get away with that now).
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    They may help with insomnia, but that doesn't mean they knock you out. Totally different thing.
  • jehembee
    jehembee Posts: 114
    Well, here's one for you. I gave my two year old a banana as a pre-bedtime snack, and he was wired for about 2 hours. I always thought that bananas were an energy food. Needless to say, my toddler gets bananas in the morning, not before bed anymore.
  • foxyhotgal
    foxyhotgal Posts: 79 Member
    i was always told not to eat a banana before bed because it stops u sleeping?!
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    I eat a banana everyday for breakfast. So far I haven't fallen asleep face first into my computer :laugh: That being said, I also drink coffee with my banana :wink:
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Hmm, if you have diabetes and don't compensate with insulin, then yeah ... sugar coma on the way. Otherwise, I've never had that experience. The sugars give me some quick energy, the fiber helps it last a bit, and the vitamins and minerals (especially the potassium) benefit my muscles.

Mmmm, bananas. Gonna go buy me some now :laugh:
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Not a sleeping pill...But, heavy food does make you tired....i.e. Turkey and trimmings ....Have you noticed how sleepy you are after a Thanksgiving dinner...Something to do with the seratonin in the brain...
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 684 Member
    I have one a day and that don't make me sleepy.
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    I actually think banana's are a wonderful source for energy. FOR ME.. They make me have an extra boost before a work out, or in the morning with my cereal.. def doesn't make me sleepy.
  • AimersBee
    I personally always thought Banana's were awesome for energy as well, I love them, usually eat them every other day. Until I heard that, then I was like well then.. thought twice about eating them. But now that I have a little insight I'll keep'on'er. Thanks! :)
  • newerme15
    newerme15 Posts: 128 Member
    Never heard of that. I love bananas and eat them on a daily basis. If it was so , I'd de sleeping most of my life.
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    I doubt it.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Prior to the advent of energy gels etc the old standby for triathletes was, you guessed it, bananas.
  • BuckeyeLife
    BuckeyeLife Posts: 313 Member
    I seriously just laughed while reading this one. I have 1 banana a day, goes into my pre and post workout shakes. I damn well don't fall asleep during work out and I can't sleep 3-4 hours after my workout... So... Yeah, I'm with the everyone in the world except your coworker category.
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    I always thought of bananas as slow release energy which is why I usually have one for breakfast with my cereal (on museli, weetabix...sometimes with my porridge) - keeps me going til lunch :smile:

Never made me fall asleep before though - tempted to test that theory tonight now...
  • Someone at my work who deals with safety at the work place (can be a dangerous work place) was talking about how we shouldn't be eating bananas at work due to it having something in it to make you really sleepy. I'd look it up, but I figure I'd get opinions on here first :)

Thanks!
    I think he got that confused with turkey. lol