Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred

Options
Has anyone done it? Pointers, suggestions, general comments? I am planning to start this today and I'm pretty excited about it but would love to hear success or even horror stories!

Replies

• SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    It was tough for me. Jillian is a beast. I never even made it through level 2. Good luck!
  • jesslsolomon
    Options
    She is beast! I love her tho, I'm prepared mentally for all that she's gonna be doing, just gotta get my body to keep up! haha and thanks!
  • lfholland
    lfholland Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Well I haven't done anything but level one, but my advice would be to ease into it if you are not doing any type of strenuous exercise right now. My legs were extremely sore for several days after the first workout. I will add another caveat that I am not trying to do it everyday for 30 days. I have been doing it 3 times a week for the past 3 weeks and I can tell a huge difference in my thighs. I pan moving on to level two next week, which I hear is geared more toward your chest and shoulders.

I'm told that in a podcast Jillian recommend doing 2 days of 30ds followed by a day of straight cardio, a day of rest, then repeat. She further said that she didn't intend for you to do it 30 days straight with no rest, but just a workout designed for 10 days at each level.
  • Mrshotwing
    Mrshotwing Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    There is a group of us doing it now. I just started level 2 last night. level one i think was harder than level 2. If you stick with it than you will see results.

Dont listen to the scale and make sure you measure. I have only lost 2 lbs but so far 3 inches overall.

Listen to your body. If you need a rest day then take it. I am doing to 10-10-10 for each level. I will say for level two make sure you have plenty of space to move :)
  • seebeachrun
    seebeachrun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Careful on your knees. A few people have blown out their knees doing her exercises but I think it's more because they pushed too hard too fast and/or they were using improper form during the exercises. Wear proper shoes for support and pay attention to the moves and if it feels wrong don't do it. I broke my patella (knee bone) about 5 years ago and I noticed that there was a lot of extra pressure on my knee during certain exercises.
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    LOVE IT! I am on level 3!
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I blogged a bit about it earlier this week... Not the post at the top (though that's also about 30DS), but the 2nd one. It's definitely worth it. It's not easy (well maybe if you're super-fit it might be), but you'll see results, for sure. Feel free to check out my blog entry here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/mariposa224?month=201205
  • lordsangel
    lordsangel Posts: 167
    Options
    I love it!! Jillian is awesome and she challenges you to a level you never would have imagined!!
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Best advice it to take your time. She has an advanced person and a beginner person with her, so if some of the moves are tough just go with the beginner. Level 1 is the easiest but don't let that fool you. Level 2 will kick your butt!! Haha. Most of have had good results though. I finished it in about 40 days. Well worth the $9 for the DVD. I'm doing Ripped In 30 now, which is similar to 30 DS with a few new moves.
  • weezella
    weezella Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the Shred for about 60 days now: I did level one until I was able to complete it without totally dying then did the same for level two I want to say it took me about 2 weeks with level 1 then about 3 weeks with level 2. Then I started the "30" days over and did 10 of 1....10 of 2...and now I am on day 5 of level 3.

When I first started it I wasn't even able to make it through the warm up, but I kept doing it and am still in shock that I made it to level three :happy: And....level 3 is my fav
  • julieh1973
    julieh1973 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I can wait, I ordered it yesterday!!!
  • audreygonzy
    audreygonzy Posts: 169
    Options
    On level two now!:) It's tough but for like 25 minutes a day it's awesome! I love it!
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Don't do back to back days. Take rest days! That is my advice. I did this on Wednesday and I am still feeling massive burn in my legs, shoulders and back. Me and Tylenol are on a first name basis.
  • AnnyaSB
    AnnyaSB Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I am on Day 6 of Level 3 so nearly there. I has been TOUGH but worth every grunt, groan whinge, curse and moan. I haven't had huge success on the scales, but I have lost loads in inches and have dropped from a UK size 16 to a UK size 12! I am also stronger, fitter and much more confident.

I say go for it - and when it gets really hard (as it will from time to time) just remember that you CAN do it and it IS worth it!

Good luck with your goal...... I am so hooked to JM now I am starting No More Trouble Zones as soon as I finish the shred - be warned, pain can be addictive :wink:
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Level 1 of the 30 DS on/off for awhile. My legs were really sore in the beginning, so drink plenty of water. I also gained 3 lbs. the first week, from water retention due to the muscle damage which disappeared shortly thereafter. I would suggest that you don't listen to Jillian, and stop whenever you need to. I would also recommend that you don't do it every day. The shred has really helped my abs and for overall toning. I haven't lost much weight, but I am definitely toning from it.
  • glennam1
    glennam1 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I did it in January and loved it.....do as much for as long as you can and if you need to rest....do it, but also challenge yourself....I've started it again and do 2 levels back to back every second day (just for something different)
  • hoppinfroggin22
    hoppinfroggin22 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing 30 ds Level 2 day 5! be prepared she is a beast!! You will most def me sore the next day..be sure to do the exercises correctly cause it is real easy to mess up the knee :) good luck add me if you like
  • srhershey
    srhershey Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I love Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and her Last Chance Workout. She pushes you to work harder and faster then you ever have and you really do see the results. It's definately hard and there are some things she does that I might modify a bit but over all, its a great workout. The 30 Day Shred is about 30 minutes and it goes by fast too, which is nice, but in that 30 minutes, you wil be dripping with sweat, cursing at Jillian, and pushing yourself.
  • jesslsolomon
    Options
    Well I haven't done anything but level one, but my advice would be to ease into it if you are not doing any type of strenuous exercise right now. My legs were extremely sore for several days after the first workout. I will add another caveat that I am not trying to do it everyday for 30 days. I have been doing it 3 times a week for the past 3 weeks and I can tell a huge difference in my thighs. I pan moving on to level two next week, which I hear is geared more toward your chest and shoulders.

I'm told that in a podcast Jillian recommend doing 2 days of 30ds followed by a day of straight cardio, a day of rest, then repeat. She further said that she didn't intend for you to do it 30 days straight with no rest, but just a workout designed for 10 days at each level.

thank you for the information! that is really good to know! so glad it's working out for you and can't wait to see what it does for me!
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Wonderwoman2677 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I've done 2 days of level 1. I'm a couch potato and it's kicking my butt in the best possible way. I think if I can do it anyone can ;) My advice would be to do the modified exercises and go at your own pace. I took yesterday off and will start back on day 3 tonight. I love it that I feel stronger already and Jillian really does motivate me to finish at the end when I want to quit early.

Wear a good bra, have a good mat (I bruised my lower back doing the abs and my knees doing the pushups, but I bruise very easily), and use the weights only if you can. If you can't use the weights at first just do it without them for a few days.