Im quitting even before i have started

Options

Replies

• UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    lifestyle change, not a diet. If you can't live without treats, figure them out into your diet. I don't stop eating my favorites, I just don't go crazy like I did before.
    Start one thing at a time, work on changing your diet first, then maybe start walking, then maybe join a gym, try weight lifting and then add some other stuff. And before you know it you are living a healthy lifestyle.
  • DippyD87
    DippyD87 Posts: 20
    Options
    i want to stop them full stop. i work in a shop that has all the bad things i eat and i cant resist to buy and my boyfriend always wants munchies so i get tempted. im going to quit them though i need to or junk will take over my life
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately there is nothing anyone can say or do to help you motivate yourself, it has to come from within. I was 260 pounds before I realized I needed to do something about it. I was appalled looking at myself in the mirror & said by my next birthday (the big 3-0!!) that I will not be this fat!

Fast forward: Now I’m 52 pounds lighter and committed to losing another 30 by November.

You can do it, but the key word is YOU.
  • AmberLee2012
    AmberLee2012 Posts: 540
    Options
    Temptation will always be there. You can ask your boyfriend to hide his junk food for a little while, until you can get your motivation up to to not eat what he is eating. Eating what my husband and his friends eat + a desk job is how I gained my weight. You just have to say NO. Have healthy options available for when he is eating his junk food, like cut up veggies. I like to get low fat sour cream and mix in the powdered ranch. It's creamier than salad dressing and not as high in calories. YOU have to want it though. It doesn't matter what people say or how badly you say you want it, it's about doing it. I've been on and off here before and complained to my husband how I wanted to lose weight, but until I was ready, I didn't put forth the effort. Good luck :)
  • babykell19
    babykell19 Posts: 72
    Options
    First of all, you're not going on a diet. You are going to be making healthier food choices and adding in exercise.

I eat what I want, I just make it fit into my calorie goal. Some days my choices are healthier than others. For me healthy food choices are a work in progress.

As for exercise, you just have to make yourself do it. Sometimes I can't exercise until 9pm or later but I do it. I never regret exercising, no matter how much I don't want to do it. I always regret not exercising.

Each day is an opportunity for you to move closer to your goal.

love that! i always regret it when i dont work out, but i am always soo happy that i pushed myself to do it. i have just started the 530 am work outs..something i never thought i would do! but with my schedule its literally the only time i can work out, and now that ive started i really enjoy them! once you do something once and you realize its not so bad, it becomes easier each time. 90% of the battle is just DOING IT. good luck :) we're all here to support!
  • deejaycee114
    deejaycee114 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    you could also try adding friends here on MFP. the bigger your support group, the bigger your chances are at succeeding....whether it be losing weight, quitting smoking..... build a support group. you can add me if you'd like! :)
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Eating junk food causes you to crave junk food. How about starting simply? A 5-10 minute walk at least 5 times a week, and an apple a day (or banana, or whatever piece of fruit you like). Those are both good for you, and simple ways to start changing your life. Once you see how good you feel getting out for a walk, you will want to walk more.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    rascalarp is right.

The first couple of weeks I changed nothing. I just logged everything, got used to the site, using the tools and reading success stories, haunting the forums etc. It was scary how much I was eating but it opened my eyes and showed me what the worst calorie culprits were.

Then I made a few simple changes and saw the calorie count coming down I did all this fairly slowly and I stumbled and stuttered with it so it has taken me a year to lose the 29 pounds BUT it is lost for good because now I know how to eat more healthily I choose a healthier option now automatically.

Oh and I have done this without much excercise I have joint problems and even when they are ok I am idle.

Please don't give up just take it slowly no one said you have to race at this, small changes lead to bigger changes without you realising it,

You can do it :flowerforyou:
  • hillbillyannie
    hillbillyannie Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Yes that's a great idea. It won't take long before you realize that piece of chocolate cake wasn't nearly as filling as a plate of veggies would have been.
  • Jugie12
    Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    First of all, you have used the word "but" in almost every post on this thread. Delete that word from your vocabulary completely - it will make it harder for you to keep making excuses.

Second: start smiling. You do have a gorgeous smile and using it will automatically brighten you outlook.

Third: if you want it, you'll do it. It might take you breaking down until you can't stand yourself anymore. It might take someone saying something ugly. It might take you realizing that you're cheating yourself out of the amazing body that is rightfully yours. It may take you realizing that everything changes when you get healthy.

Lastly: if you're doing it to get attention (be it for progress or failure) it won't work. You have to be able to do it for yourself.
  • va_va_voom
    va_va_voom Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    i want to stop them full stop. i work in a shop that has all the bad things i eat and i cant resist to buy and my boyfriend always wants munchies so i get tempted. im going to quit them though i need to or junk will take over my life

Tell us some of the things you like to eat and let us find healthy alternatives for you. That way, you can take them with you and NOT eat what's at work (or eat the healthy alternatives at home, so you're not tempted to eat them at work).

I have modified just about every recipe I love - I'm a serious foodie and can cook/bake very well. If I didn't have healthy alternatives, I would not be able to control my weight well at all.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I've become a little bit of a zealot... Sorry in advance for all the long-windedness

Here's how I started:

1) tracking for a couple of weeks before I worried about losing.
    (although seeing what I was eating I couldn't help but rein back a bit)

2) seeing where I could make small changes on things that weren't that important to me.
    (Don't even think of taking chocolate out of my diet!!!)
    --Reducing quantities where I won't notice it so much
    --Swapping out things instead of eliminating them.

3) Look at my diary and started adding foods that had positive healthy effects specifically for the health issue in my family.
    I found most of the things I "should" add were really yummy too! salmon, avocado, oatmeal, mango, red grapes....
    (Sort of think of food as medicine to deal with family history of various health issue oatmeal is good for heart health, mango and red grapes lower cholesterol, tumeric and cinnamon good for arthritis)

4) every couple of weeks I see where I can make another couple of small changes.
    If you completely revamp your diet, it's way easy to revert to old ways in times of stress. (and who doesn't have stress?)
    If you make a series of small changes, food still offers you some sense of comfort.
    sort of a comfort continuum, and after a while the first small changes will seem comforting in themselves.
    You don't have to be perfect you just have to do better.

5) also rather than being uberstrict with the target MFP set for me. I was happier once I gave myself a range:

ROCK BOTTOM: 1200 cal
    TARGET: MFP Calories for lose 1 lb a week (when that hit 1200 I changed to lose 1/2 lb per week)
    TOP OF RANGE: Maintain Calories for my GOAL Weight.
    (SAFETY VALVE: Maintain Calories for CURRENT Weight - remember to keep updating this number as you lose)

I naturally tended to do 2-4 days between 1200-1300 cal then a day at about 1500-1600 cal then back to the 1200-1300 cal.

--As long as I stayed under the top of my range I should continue to lose, even if it is at a slower rate.
    --As long as I don't go past my safety valve I shouldn't gain.

BUT... The closer you get to your goal the smaller your range. (frustrating)

6) I only worry about it 1 lb at a time.
    Once I found ways to lessen the stress, I found it way easier to focus on the process and let the results follow. (It's what worked for me some people need the stress to get them motivated. Me I get scared and overwhelmed and don't see the big goal as achievable. )

Food is not the enemy.

Oddly enough on my journey here I've reduced guilt over food.
    I have the occasional treat and I fully enjoy it with no guilt involved.
    The thing is since I'm not eating crap all the time the occasional treat is just that a TREAT it's special and I enjoy it so much more than when I was unconsciously shovel junk food into my face.

I figure if I've got a good plan that I can actually maintain I can keep this off for a long time to come, without feeling deprived.

Good Luck
  • littlewords
    littlewords Posts: 43
    Options
    Don't try to cut out all the foods you love (JUNK!) all at once, it will just drive you insane.

I used to eat chips and salsa or bread and dip or cheese and crackers EVERY DAY. AS much as I felt like eating.
    I didn't just try one way to stop. Some days I still had the delicious snack that I wanted, but I made sure to only eat ONE portion (for instance, usually about 13 corn chips) rather than as much as I wanted. ONE piece of bread with spinach dip or butter or whatever. Only ten crackers with cheese, instead of 15, 20, 30, who knows.

Or some days I chose the healthier item over the not-so healthy ones - cheese and crackers was probably the best for me, and the hardest to access, since I'd have to slice cheese, AND it was easy to sub in a healthier lower cal cracker for whatever the heck I ordinarily would have had.

Eventually, I stopped having them EVERY day. Now, I rarely have them at all. I've lost 29 pounds since the days when I would eat all those junky things as much as I wanted. There's been more to it than that, but the more distance you put between yourself and even one bad habit, the better you'll do. It doesn't get totally easy, though. I still want CHIPS!!! all the time. At least now, though, if I have some, usually one serving does it for me, I couldn't actually eat a whole bag like I might have at one point.
  • jaguilar333
    jaguilar333 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If I were you I would add some MFP friends. When you see everyone else making healthier choices and exercising daily its pretty inspiring. Track your food for the next 2 weeks. Log everything. You dont have to concentrate on limiting your calories but at least you will get into the habit of logging everything. Try walking on your lunch break. Slow and steady wins the race. Keep building on your progress. Good luck to you.
  • nell1972
    nell1972 Posts: 19
    Options
    I've been exactly where you are, several times in fact. You're stuck right there in that rut aren't you - you long to be slimmer and fitter, but junk food is more of a comfort right now than the idea of changing your habits.

Don't set yourself impossible goals, or try to do it all at once. Why don't you start by "tuning in" - eat whatever you want, whenever you want, and laze around on the sofa while you're doing it if you must - but become acutely aware of what you are putting into your body, and stop for a minute to find out why you really want to eat. I'm willing to bet, you're not hungry about 99% of the time - you're eating for some other reason, probably emotional (hormonal??)

"Tuning in" like this teaches you things about yourself....and without feeling forced to ban all junk food from your lips forever, all you're doing at this stage is learning what motivates you to cram it all in.

I'm a comfort eater and a binge eater, no question, and I learned by tuning in that I very rarely "need" the food I crave. It was a very strong starting point, and now here I am.
  • mondragon91
    Options
    i wanna start dieting or whatever you wanna call it but i have no support what so ever:(
    :cry:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Ive been telling myself im going on a diet and going to exercise to get fit and i still havnt done anything. all i want to do is eat and its not healthy food either. I dont know how im going to get over this eating problem. I really need some help. Where do i start??? :'(
    Well if you're here you have an interest. But honestly, you really got to WANT to do it. If it ends up feeling like a chore, then chances are you won't complete it. So it starts with your motivation as to why you would do it in the first place.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • DippyD87
    DippyD87 Posts: 20
    Options
    First of all, you have used the word "but" in almost every post on this thread. Delete that word from your vocabulary completely - it will make it harder for you to keep making excuses.

Second: start smiling. You do have a gorgeous smile and using it will automatically brighten you outlook.

Third: if you want it, you'll do it. It might take you breaking down until you can't stand yourself anymore. It might take someone saying something ugly. It might take you realizing that you're cheating yourself out of the amazing body that is rightfully yours. It may take you realizing that everything changes when you get healthy.

Lastly: if you're doing it to get attention (be it for progress or failure) it won't work. You have to be able to do it for yourself.
  • TheOriginalGinging
    Options
    I know how tiring small children can be! I raised three and tried to walk with them, go to the park, etc. But you also may need time to yourself. Just walk. Start with 20 minutes. You'll be surprised how much longer you'll be able to go before long. You're "motto" says it's time to get fit. Once you've gotten exercise you'll want to make better nutrition choices, too. I don't know how that works, but it just does. Your children will be better off with good choices, too! Best wishes--add me if you'd like!
  • hdmamma09
    hdmamma09 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I just started a couple of days ago. Something I do also is look at my food diary and see what i could change. My first few days have been rough because i had to wait for pay day to go to store for better choices. Don't give up, bettering your health is a positive thing for your life. I am 303 pounds as of yesterday. Down from 306. Don't give up take one meal at a time.
    :smile: