A year after losing 1/3rd my body weight [follow up!]

Options
Some of you may remember last year I posted a thread "Here is what it looks like when you lose 1/3rd of your body". If not, I've included the original text of that post here.

In any case, it's been a year since I posted that thread, and 2 since I started my new, healthier lifestyle. I consider it a "success story" that I've been able to not regain that weight. For anyone on the fence about starting your journey to get healthy...do it! It's the best decision I've made, and I'm living the healthier, more active life I always envisioned for myself.

Here are some recent pics to show that I've kept the weight off! (well they're actually from my trip to Barcelona last year but I like them and I havent changed since, so :P ;-) )

s5Wmr.jpg
(being next to a huge church doesn't hurt for scale :) )

j8qBY.jpg
(double chin still gone!)

I've found maintinence to be challenging in different ways than losing the weight has been. Nowadays, I work out 5 days a week and rest 2. Generally, I jog for about half an hour a day. Other than that, eating my maintenance calories and doing little stuff like taking the stairs, I have been able to keep it off. The main thing is making sure I get in those 5 workouts, no matter what!

And, in the sprit of my original post:

If my lazy butt can lose and now keep off 100lbs for 2 years and counting....ANYONE can. Start your change now.

From the original post:

Hi everyone,

Even though I haven't reached my goal yet, I'm nearing 100lbs lost. In fact, as of my doctors visit on Monday, I was a scant 4lbs away from reaching that milestone, and I haven't yet posted any pics, so I thought it was about time to pat myself on the back after the doctor told me to!

Here is me, circa this exact time last year.

5PMTH.png

OcFPl.png

I looked horrible. I felt horrible. I was at 301lbs and spiraling out of control, if you can consider 300lbs in control. I have a family history of type 2 diabetes, heart disease, all that fun stuff. Finally, something in me last summer made me decide that I needed to change before it was too late. I can't tell you exactly what it was that made me finally get started. Part of it was my wife's influence - she found MFP to try and help me. Part of it was wanting to be healthy enough to run around after my 2 year old without getting winded. Part of it was wanting to get back involved in playing soccer (can you believe the beached whale in those pictures ever played soccer?). Part of it was not wanting to die before I hit the age of 30. Part of it was wanting to look in the mirror and not hate what I see.

So, middle of last June, I committed to really try MFP as a diet and lifestyle plan. Didn't cut out a single food completely except for soda, and processed junk food (ie, candy bars and the like). I've still been able to eat my favorite foods (not as much, and not as frequently), still been able to drink alcohol (not as much, not as frequently) and still been able to do everything, basically. The only other thing I did besides count calories on MFP was walk 30-45 minutes a day, every day, up until winter hit, which pushed me back into the 3-4 times a week range.

Since that time, I've lost 96lbs. As of my weigh in on Monday, I was down to 205lbs from the initial 301. Over that time, I've dropped from a size 46 to size 36-38 (depending on brand, etc) jean. I've dropped from 2XL to L/XL shirts. My BMI has dropped from the high end of obese to middle/low end of overweight, and I'm closing in on "normal" each passing week. I can walk miles and miles without getting tired, I sleep better, and I feel so much better. I tire less easily. Pretty much everyone in my life has noticed, and it's funny seeing friends who don't see me as often react so positively and seem so shocked.

Ok, enough stalling, here are some "after" pictures (even though I'm not yet at my goal of 170):
[apologies in advance - had to take these with my laptop on a timer, wish I had some better angles, but I think the difference is apparent]

Me, modeling the same shirt in the pictures above:
ipdqN.jpg
Could probably fit two of me in there now.

A side profile
cwVLP.jpg

Old shorts
f8n5x.jpg

The amazing disappearing double chin
Mxry6.jpg

Some thoughts:

Guys can have body image issues, too, I've discovered. I know it sounds crazy, but when I look in the mirror, I still see the old body, sometimes, or I don't perceive the very obvious changes that others do.

Guys out there, you can do this too, all it takes is getting started. ANYone can.

Some stuff I've picked up along the way: don't beat yourself up if you have a bad day, but don't let a bad day turn into two bad days turn into a week of bad eating. Treat yourself from time to time, but a treat is special, or it's not a treat. Make some MFP friends, get some accountability somehow. Let people in your life know you've made a commitment to do this, show them you're serious, and let them be something you can lean on to draw strength. Exercise is just as important as the diet part! Don't skip it, you'll feel better afterwards, and less hungry, too. Finally: drink water, and only water, if you can handle that. I don't have any scientific way of proving it, but I'm sure just quitting soda helped me drop a good portion of this weight.

Replies

• ImRadical4Jesus
    ImRadical4Jesus Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Wow..awesome progress! You look great!
  • eprissel
    eprissel Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    AWESOME job!!!
  • tomusiakl
    tomusiakl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Wow awesome. You couldn't have said this better.
  • dfranco_rr
    dfranco_rr Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    that is great! I started my weight loss journey @ almost the same weight (302 lbs) and I'm down about 38 lbs right now. It's great to see success stories like yours to keep me inspired.
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Its great to see the people take the weight off but to me even better to see people maintaining that lifestyle change.. Great job!!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    As soon as I saw your first picture I KNEW it had to be the Barcelona cathedral. Amazing. I LOVE that city with all my heart. Also you did a fantastic job maintaining your new body (or what's left of it!)
  • Tuffjourney
    Tuffjourney Posts: 971
    Options
    You are so damn cute! Well done young man!!:flowerforyou:
  • jcr85
    jcr85 Posts: 229
    Options
    Congrats on keeping it off man... You should consider hitting the gym and putting on some muscle. That might help with your body image issues.
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success. And on maintaining your healthy weight. After a year of keeping off the weight, do you still log your food daily? Or have you started trusting yourself to judge?
  • ClarkeEJ
    ClarkeEJ Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Wonderful. I love success stories like this one!!
  • Fat_Lenny
    Fat_Lenny Posts: 38
    Options
    Amazing progress! I'm in the same camp with you about the little changes (i.e. no fizzy drinks.) I lost 4lbs over a couple of months just by cutting out coffee (wasn't really doing exercise back then though.) I've let myself slip a bit over the last couple of weeks, but your words have motivated me to get back on it! Well done. :smile:
  • NattyBo
    NattyBo Posts: 41
    Options
    Congratulations on your success. And on maintaining your healthy weight. After a year of keeping off the weight, do you still log your food daily? Or have you started trusting yourself to judge?

Up until about a month ago I was logging food daily. I still try to most days, I don't freak out if I miss it like I used to, but, 2 years in, I basically know what I should and should not be eating now. The journal is just a visual helper with that.

I will say the biggest thing, that most people DO NOT want to hear, is that totally cutting soda out of my life, 100%, including diet, was probably the biggest help. I did it right away and havent gone back (yes, everyone can have the OCCASIONAL diet coke or whatever with dinner or in a mixed drink, but other than that, no), and I think it's a huge part of my success. All I drink these days is water, juice (on occasion), coffee, and alcohol. Not at the same time obviously! :D
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Amazing. I started at 301lbs too! I'm down 56 and keep on plodding. Can't wait to be at goal and maintaining! Good to see someone who has kept the weight off! Good for you! Thanks for sharing! :-)
  • dejatyja
    dejatyja Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Awesome work!!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I will say the biggest thing, that most people DO NOT want to hear, is that totally cutting soda out of my life, 100%, including diet, was probably the biggest help. I did it right away and havent gone back (yes, everyone can have the OCCASIONAL diet coke or whatever with dinner or in a mixed drink, but other than that, no), and I think it's a huge part of my success. All I drink these days is water, juice (on occasion), coffee, and alcohol. Not at the same time obviously! :D

Amen to this.
    Freeing myself from soda was one of the best changes I've ever made in my life. People really will fight tooth and nail to keep the soda, glad you discovered that it wasn't worth it!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    just amazing! job well done :flowerforyou:
  • Fat_Lenny
    Fat_Lenny Posts: 38
    Options

Up until about a month ago I was logging food daily. I still try to most days, I don't freak out if I miss it like I used to, but, 2 years in, I basically know what I should and should not be eating now. The journal is just a visual helper with that.

My sister is the healthiest & fittest person I know. She's also on the paleo diet and say's that although exercise is very important, you see the most drastic changes by altering diet alone. When I was only drinking water, my weight loss was boosted, I had more energy, and my skin cleared up! You're making so much sense to me, just need to get my willpower back! I look forward to when I don't have to log my food and can control the urge for sweets!
  • wolftrax
    wolftrax Posts: 50
    Options
    That is a good story...and will inspire some folks..it can be done, but most people do not do it, as you know..
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    This is awesome! And such an accomplishment to keep it off!
  • 1PoisonIvy
    1PoisonIvy Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Great job..............I have lost and gained so many times, nice to hear people talk about maintenance, this is the key
    Most people think that losing weight is the hardest part, but it is the maintenance! Again, good job~
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!