Sugar Craving...What to do?

Options
So everyone knows, you eat lunch...and then it strikes, the sugar craving! A candy bar, a donut, cookie or brownie, even gummy bears. I am a clean eater, and try really hard to avoid processed foods, but sometimes it hits hard, any tips on helping get past the sugar cravings?

I am at work, and the vending machine is calling my name, thought I would look here for support before making any hasty decisions! =)

THANKS!

Replies

• shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    My usual after lunch snack is 1/2 cup cottage cheese with a little honey on it. Or some greek yogurt. Nice and sweet and high in protein.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I like to have fiber bars in my desk. Still some sugar just less calories. Fiber one also makes 90 calorie brownies in single serving packs. Not the same as the real thing but a good alternative. Fruit works too.
  • mfjackson76
    Options
    Animal crackers maybe?
  • tlaker
    tlaker Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt with honey...and also my go to snack when i want something chocolate is the blue diamond dark chocolate roadted almonds! so good and good for you! :)
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    So everyone knows, you eat lunch...and then it strikes, the sugar craving! A candy bar, a donut, cookie or brownie, even gummy bears. I am a clean eater, and try really hard to avoid processed foods, but sometimes it hits hard, any tips on helping get past the sugar cravings?

Eat a bigger lunch.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    After I cut out the white carbs I lost my sugar cravings. You need to eat more protein and healthy fats.
  • leatitiaa
    leatitiaa Posts: 17
    Options
    Fruits!
  • SabKab16
    SabKab16 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    It really helps when I drink green tea, and have a piece or two of dates! I love them!
  • JenOman
    JenOman Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    craisins, raisins, or really any dried fruit. OR I just eat the candy. I figure if I deny myself for too long I will cave and then binge, so I might as well have a serving or less and be done with it.
  • poodlelaise
    poodlelaise Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I eat one piece of hard candy when that happens. Only about 20 calories.
  • 10KEyes
    10KEyes Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Eat more veggies, fat and protein for your lunch.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    eat some sugar
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Just say no. You aren't going to starve to death if you are hungry for a few hours.

That said, if you find yourself constantly hungry, then that's a very good clue that you may not be eating enough calories...but a calorie is not a calorie! Bump up the size of your lunch with some whole satiating foods. (Personally, I'm a big fan of fish/meat, avocado, broccoli, cauliflower, cantaloupe, etc.)

Also, for some people, the only way to stop craving sweets is just to eat none at all. For others, a small piece of something otherwise "bad" actually helps them persevere. You may not realize you're in the former group until you actually push through these initial cravings. (I'm in the former group. While I had cravings at first, in time, they went away.)

Anyhow, good luck.
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Definitely fruit!! If this is happening every day, just be sure to bring it with you... bananas, apples, oranges, etc... all travel well ;)
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i used to crave carbs (chips, etc. i don't care for sweets) but i don't anymore. i beat it by working-out and changing my diet. the less i eat of those things, the less i crave. if i must have something 'sweet' - i can handle a huge glass of chocolate milk and be super happy!
  • Mgregory723
    Mgregory723 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I have some Second Nature's Wholesome Melody. It has nuts, dried fruit, and small squares of dark chocolate......all I can say is you get the crunchy, sweet and salty thing all at once!! "YUMMO" 1 serving is 3 tbsp or 1 oz -140 cal, 13 carbs, 9 fat, 4 protein and 45 sodium. Enjoy :bigsmile:
  • 10KEyes
    10KEyes Posts: 250 Member
    Options

Bump up the size of your lunch with some whole satiating foods. (Personally, I'm a big fan of fish/meat, avocado, broccoli, cauliflower, cantaloupe, etc.)

Zactly!
  • skinnypigeon
    skinnypigeon Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thanks All! I had some green tea with stevia, it helped!! I avoided the vending machine, so thankful. I am full and satisfied with my meals, its just the sweet tooth habit I am trying to break. I am entering a sugar bet next month and will not be eating any refined or unnatural or artificial sweeteners. That should kick my sugar cravings to the curb.

Thanks for the support, everyone always comes through when you need them. I LOVE MFP!
  • sunsetwest
    sunsetwest Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    not sure how accurate this is, but i think it's worth giving a try:

http://www.infofit.ca/school-for-fitness-professionals/craving-that-try-this-instead/
  • NU2U
    NU2U Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Chew really strong, mint gum.