Serving jobs stink in my area have crazy demands.

Options
calvert6183
calvert6183 Posts: 539 Member
Had a friend who lost her job and she got a restaurant serving job in Austin Texas. Its hard for her since she had a great job with high pay and prestige so instead of being jobless, she took any job she can get until she finds one she wants.

Holly balls the industry has gotten crazy. It seems to be the norm now. They expect u to learn everything about bar-tending (pretty much every drink made and how to make them, ounces and glassware and the history of the drinks), cooking, and other stupid things like the history of the place, managers (also the trainers, founders, corp, and assistant managers) names (proper spelling) and have to learn all this in 4-6 days. If you score less than a 94 percent, you fail. They also make you take a sales test as well and see how you overcome objectives. The final is that you have to serve the managers and they ar mean to you snf harass you and insult you to see if you will quit. They think its representing the customer experience. Thats hard for people with kids or other jobs.

You cant go off the floor ever, even to use the restrooms during certain hours. Most dont get breaks and get yelled at all the time by everyone.

They have to tip out everyone including cooks and hosts. I feel bad for servers today (mostly cause so many have degrees but are forced to work **** jobs), all this crap and dealing with customers for 2 dollars and hour. It depends on which place they work, some make over 100 a night and some make 20-35 a night and have to pay taxes on that and still have tip out to others. Its weird to me how tipping has got out of hand. I know some people dont like to tip servers and are rude to them but dont mind tipping Starbucks who makes anywhere from 8-12 an hour. Servers work their tales off and have to deal with stupid people everyday. Yes, they might can get a different job but have you seen the job market?

Ive never had to deal with that extreme training for any job. I couldnt pass it, ive seen the tests. You are just a restaurant, in fact a tex mex place. Sorry had to vent, its ridiculous to demand so much of a person who is only paid 2 and hour, has to share their tips with people who shouldnt be tipped, have to be completely open availability to keep your job, and also, alot of places dont have any kind of benefits.. I just feel bad for these people. I just want to know is it normal or just an Austin thing. Back when I served, it was easy, just know most of the menu and your good. It was easy.

Replies

• DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is intense. Gives you a new perspective on going out to eat. You're right, you wouldn't think that server jobs should be as intense as you are describing.
  • Arthemise1
    Arthemise1 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I need to go to this place because the service usually isn't that good at the places I go to in Austin.

And yes, that is insane. I know I couldn't handle it.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I worked for several years at one of the top rated steak restaurants on the east coast. The training was pretty much as you described. The work was hard and I hope I never have to do a job like that again. But when I needed a job, that was what was available for the hours I could work (had a young son that I needed to be there for in the day time, my ex kept him at night).
  • Expialidojess
    Expialidojess Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I worked in a restaurant for 3 years in college and it was pretty much the same. I had to take food and bartending classes to learn about everything and take tests on it. We didn't get any breaks during our shift and we did tip sharing too. I think it's the norm at most restaurants anymore. Unless the service is truly horrible, I always tip my server well. Most people have no idea what it's really like.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Blah Blah blah is all I read.

She has a job. You do what you need to in order to keep said job. Knowing what she has to go through has opened both of your eyes to what makes a great server. Tip Well when you get one.
  • calvert6183
    Options
    I did it when I was in college. The fact is, servers tend to do better when they like their jobs. Today, it seems service isnt as good, maybe its because they just beaten up by everyone. Alot of times bad service happens because they are tired, mentally drained from all the negativity from customers, coworkers, and managers. Most dont get breaks and alot of tiems work double shifts. If something goes wrong, its not the end of the world, you survive. Most servers and places will want to fix whatever went wrong. Btw, word of advice, never be rude to your server before you get your food or drinks. Alot of them are over qualified and unhappy because of the job market so if you are prissy or rude, they might spit in your food or worse. Also, if you tip crap or stiff them, dont go back, they might mess with you. They remember you and tell other servers. WIth me, when I go out, Im just happy and glad im able to go out and have drinks and dinner. Alot of people dont have that luxury.
  • calvert6183
    Options

She has a job. You do what you need to in order to keep said job. Knowing what she has to go through has opened both of your eyes to what makes a great server. Tip Well when you get one.

You see, you dont know what you are talking about. They say only very few pass so she might not have a job after all. My point is, its just serving food. Its lame to require 6 months of learning knowledge in 4-6 days.
  • guildwars1987
    guildwars1987 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    534326_10151131486394572_516154571_13265376_1837656375_n.jpg
  • ChubbyStudent25
    Options
    I was a waitress once for the summer. Never again!!! I still don't understand why waiting is the only job where people are paid below minimum wage and have to be tipped to make money?
  • Darlingir
    Darlingir Posts: 437
    Options
    534326_10151131486394572_516154571_13265376_1837656375_n.jpg

LOL!!

I know some chain restaurants around here run silly promotions where the wait staff needs to mention the special, if they forget the customer gets said meal for free and it comes out of the wait staffs pay check...
  • ProjectTae
    ProjectTae Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Glad I don't live in Texas, we have minimum wage in Cali and it's 8.00 an hr, unless you have a commission job but our waitress jobs here usually aren't commission.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Been doing it for 8 years. I'm trying to finish college now. It IS crazy what you deal with and how people treat you for 2.13 an hour. A job is a job though and I have a child to feed, I can only hope that I will NOT be doing it for the rest of my life.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    My son's a server is Austin and seems quite pleased. He gets good tips (as high as 100%). He's highly intelligent and could do other things, but he enjoys what he does. He has a business plan for a sports bar and, if the economy cooperates, hopefully, he'll get a chance to implement his plan.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it's your "friend"? You sound mighty ticked off.

I was a server for twelve years at TGIF. It was hard work, and the stuff you described happened. It was also fun, I didn't take it home with me, and I worked part time and made as much $$$ as most of my friends in the grind of 9-5. I liked it, and I still think it's good money if you are in the right place. Maybe you should - I mean your friend should - look for another restaurant. Especially in TX, there are plenty.
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Waiting tables was probably my least favorite job..the worst was when people would yell and demean me b/c the food was cooked wrong, um hello I brought it to your table I didn't cook it I guess I should have tasted it before I brought it out to you.

I so don't agree with pooling tips.

Its not something I would want to do again, unless I had no other choice.
  • lakersfan4life
    lakersfan4life Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Its not illegal to pay someone under minimum wage? i thought thats why they called it minimum wage?

anywho, i always tip 20% or more unless they are really really bad................
  • thejen75
    thejen75 Posts: 90
    Options
    So true- it's gotten ridiculous. I haven't served in 10 years, but I tell you, I still have nightmares about it. It's not an easy job, and I don't envy the people who do it. It's strange, but in other countries, servers make a decent wage, and tipping is not part of their wage, but most people tip about 10% anyway.
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options

You see, you dont know what you are talking about. They say only very few pass so she might not have a job after all. My point is, its just serving food. Its lame to require 6 months of learning knowledge in 4-6 days.

So, basically, she has to learn her job and learn it well in order to keep it. Sounds reasonable.

And, no, it's not just serving food. You have to have the type of personality to deal with the general public and be motivated to do a good job, regardless of the type of job. I get so tired of people in the service industry who refuse to do their job and then want to whine about how badly they're treated. I'm sorry, but if a service job isn't to your liking, then move on and let someone else do it. That's not to say you're going to have a bad day once in a while, but that goes with any job.

As a previous poster stated, at least she has a job. Now it's her responsibility to keep it or look elsewhere.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    It really comes down to the fact that people don't think they have to tip. I think everyone should be required to be a server for at least a week just so they know what waiters have to deal with every day. It's not their fault that the kitchen has 30 minute ticket times, the food doesn't taste well, someone else ran your food so they didn't know to bring extra sauce, you're missing something or it's not cooked right.

In any other business you get paid when you punch in but imagine being at work an hour (usual time for a table to be sat for dinner) and because the customer just decides that they didn't like you, their meal or they just don't have much money, you don't get paid a single cent for your hour of work. Waiting tables sucks so I always tip at least 20 percent unless the server is nonexistent.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Glad I don't live in Texas, we have minimum wage in Cali and it's 8.00 an hr, unless you have a commission job but our waitress jobs here usually aren't commission.

Workers who receive tips can be paid less than 8/hr in CA, so long as their wages, with tips, add up to more than $8/hr.

Anyway, now maybe someone with a"high paid, prestigious" job can understand that servers actually have to know something to do their gig. Not saying your girlfriend didn't appreciate them, but she surely does now.