Give my lunch a makeover please!

Options
Booooo. My lunches are so boring. I need to make them more exciting stat.

What are some of your favorite snacks or lunch items that you take to work?

There are so many tempting, yummy places to eat around my workplace, and I feel like I eat the same thing every day.

Help me, before I give into temptation! =)

Replies

• missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i had this today:

whole wheat tortilla (large size, but only 1)
    filled with fat free refried beans
    fat free cheddar cheese
    1/2 avacado
    diced tomatoes & onions

wrap like a burrito and heat in microwave. SO DELICIOUS and hit all food groups!:smile:
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    chicken salad , white breast meat and mix with but go very light, fat free mayo, walnuts, grapes, celery, onion, dill and salt and pepper then on a wheat bun or Arnold sandwich thins, I make this for hubby, he loves it. I'm vegetarian
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    tuna salad is also good and filling, just go very light on the mayo
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    what do you typically eat for lunch?

i tend to have the same thing every day (some form of turkey and cheese sandwich), but i like adding in

Granola thins (80 cals)
    just for one broccoli and cheese or cauliflower and cheese (4o-60 cals)
    lauging cow cheese (45 cals) and wheat thins (half serving)
    something like beef jerky (if you like it) is high in protein, but only about 80 cals
  • MelanieSpicegurl
    MelanieSpicegurl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    At work we have :
    A basic spring mix salad with sardines ( I know.. don't knock it till you try it !!) for protein ( or Big (frozen ,but thawed) pre-cooked Shrimp )
    Lighthouse Light honey Dijon dressing 1 TBLSP only !! or salsa is great too ..
    and add a few nuts to crunch it up ..
    with 1 cup unsweetened Chocolate Almond milk
    We also eat rice cakes with peanut butter ..

Do you like the desert Tofu?? they are great too . my fave is banana .. 100 cal
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I had sardines in tomato sauce with basil on wheat bread today.... only 200 calories. It's full of Omega 3's. Watermelon chunks are a great snack. 8 ounces are only 27 calories. If you have a Whole Food Market near you, look for Arctic Zero. The coffee flavor is delicious!! Only 150 calories a pint!
  • 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    Rice cakes with peanut butter, Greek yogurt, hard boiled eggs in a salad with slivered almonds, peanut butter & banana on a wrap, cottage cheese with cucumbers & tomatoes, Salmon or tuna mixed with a bit of mayo on ryvita crackers, a veggie wrap???~ Just some ideas. Hope you find something new that you like :smile:
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Wow, ladies. All of these are great ideas! Keep them coming! I'm making a grocery list as we speak. =)
  • MelanieSpicegurl
    MelanieSpicegurl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Rice cakes with peanut butter, Greek yogurt, hard boiled eggs in a salad with slivered almonds, peanut butter & banana on a wrap, cottage cheese with cucumbers & tomatoes, Salmon or tuna mixed with a bit of mayo on ryvita crackers, a veggie wrap???~ Just some ideas. Hope you find something new that you like :smile:

Almost the same as me .. except I can't eat yogurt .. but we eat the same way !! I live on peanut butter and rice cakes, boiled eggs and cold fish of some sort !! lol !!
  • PhenomeNae
    PhenomeNae Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Louis Kemp has these crab delights snack packs, it's imitation crab with a dipping sauce for only 170 calories and no fat, they're so good... pair that up with some Pepperidge Farm crackers, a salad and you're good to go.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I work 2nd shift, so my "lunch break" is around 11:30pm lol so I end up taking more snack like foods, but lately I've been taking a vitatop muffin, grapes, and some Kroger light white chocolate raspberry yogurt mixed with strawberries and 1 tablespoon mini chocolate chips :)
  • jacqui1612
    jacqui1612 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Soups are always good. If you buy them be careful of the sodium in them as it can be really high. And try to stay away from the ones in cans, go for ones in the bowls.
    Plus it's really easy to make your own. Pumpkin and sweet potato are my favorites.

The sweet potato one I make I use a magic bullet and make a single serve:
    1 sweet potato - cut into cubes and cook in microwave
    chicken or vegetable stock - 1 cup or so
    Herbs and spices that you like - I use Dried mixed herbs and cumin
    Put it all in the bullet and blend it up. Add more stock or water to make it to the consistence you like. Serve with a nice bread roll. It's about 155 calories for the soup so you can afford to have it with bread and its delicious and a big serve. And the best thing is that you can make it in advance and heat it up for lunch.

Hope that helps :)
  • amurph25
    amurph25 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Lots of days, I eat left overs for lunch... but if not then usually some sort of combination of these!

-some sort of sandwich
    -celery (with or without peanut butter)
    -carrots
    -oranges
    -apples
    -crackers
    -salad
    -soup
    -string cheese
    -yogurt
  • fitsporazzi
    fitsporazzi Posts: 10
    Options
    bumping all these yummy meals
  • MaybeAMonkey
    MaybeAMonkey Posts: 247
    Options
    Today I had carrots that I dipped in hummus, one peeled kiwi, and my "topless sandwich" (one slice of multi grain bread + one slice colby jack cheese, toasted in the toaster oven so the cheese slightly melts, topped off with mesquite turkey breast), with a glass of water. This was about 375 calories and held me over until almost 4pm and that's when I usually have a very light afternoon snack (fruit or a treat).
  • Peta22
    Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Some really great ideas.... I will be back to checkin at lunchtime!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a microwave? I love to take leftovers from dinner the night before.

Sandwich on whole grain (mustard, no mayo, meat, cheese).

Yogurt and granola.

I will sometimes "splurge" on Lean Pockets or frozen burritos - one makes a good lunch.

I try to always pair the above with fresh fruit and/or veggies. My favorite is red or yellow bell pepper (sliced at home). Apples travel well.
  • 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    Hummus and veggies, Pillers turkey bites, bean salad, low fat string cheese, whole wheat noodles with sauce?~ some more ideas :smile:
  • iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mbvan
    mbvan Posts: 30
    Options
    great ideas!